Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Survival of the dead reviews thread

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by paulannett View Post

Trin, I agree that his original trilogy has cemented a legacy for Romero. But past glories are exactly that. At some point, purely relying on past glories to get you everywhere is really quite sad. At what point do you start accepting that maybe he is past it? Land was gash, Diary was gash, what of Survivors then? If it's a piece of shit too, that means half of his dead films officially suck balls, all of which were made in the past 5 years, which is a good indicator that he is done.
    is it possible that we've found someone more cynical than me?

do you really think romero is trying to live off the past? isn't it possible that as he's gotten older, he's lost some of the edge he had in his 30s and 40s? there is a vast difference between how you see the world and the things you want to do at nearly 70 years old.

i'm not on the land hater wagon. if some of you detest it, fine. i respect your opinion but keep in mind there are people who do like land and diary. that doesn't mean those who like the movies are engaging in blind faith in romero. it's more a case of different strokes.

and as far as the reaction to the reviews goes, i think it only natural that people would want and hope for their favorite film maker to keep putting out good movies, even if his last efforts haven't been up to par in some people's eyes.

i think it comes down to being willing to give romero the benefit of the doubt until we see the movie for ourselves.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Besides it seems like most revies are moderately positive. . or at the least half and half. . .which is to be expected judging by his last 2 films. *shrug* no need to get the panties in a wad tho. It will be what it will be. We will either love it, or hate it.. . .or both. .or neither. And then we will all get on here and argue about it till we are blue in the face. Tis our job. . Tis what we do.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Super Moderator

UK
    Heaven forbid you look at his films with some objectivity and not be all doe eyed.
    Not sure how often you swing by these forums, but I've said on several occasions about how disappointed I was with Diary - it's "okay", and has moments, but I don't care for any of the characters and the message is far too blunt, I mean REALLY fuckin' blunt - I don't despise it by any means and I have it on DVD (had it pre-ordered too).

I've also said more than once on these forums recently about how when re-watching a few clips of Land of the Dead when it was on one of the ITV channels, that I noticed a variety of things that jarred with me - often bits of dialogue - as well as the very fast pace everything gets rushed along at.

I still love Land of the Dead, but it's no Night, Dawn or Day - however, did I ever expect it to be? Nope.

This is still a GAR dedicated website, so why can't people love his work - new & old - and be excited for it?

There's plenty of moaning about his recent work on these forums, and plenty of hopefulness, and plenty of lovers - that's a solid mix, and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

And I don't care much for reviews, especially when they're so split - I'll make up my own fucking mind.

*rant over*

Administrator

England
    I watched Diary once, and have never managed to bring myself to watch again!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    And that's from the Pimp Daddy who runs this site!

Objectivity? HPOTD's got plenty of it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    And that's from the Pimp Daddy who runs this site!

Objectivity? HPOTD's got plenty of it.

I agree. Neil's definitely a pimp.

Seriously, Andy is on record saying he can't stand LOTD as well.

So yeah, there are very diverse opinions here on the subject but we disagree respectfully here. It's the secret to our success .

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    So yeah, there are very diverse opinions here on the subject but we disagree respectfully here.
    *COUGH* Usually. *COUGH*

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    *COUGH* Usually. *COUGH*

Although a definitive poll on Land of the Dead did find more people in favour of Land than against it.

A more convoluted "yay/meh/nay" poll showed the extreme diversity of opinion regarding Land and Diary combined.

United States
    Heaven forbid you look at his films with some objectivity and not be all doe eyed.

Trin, I agree that his original trilogy has cemented a legacy for Romero. But past glories are exactly that. At some point, purely relying on past glories to get you everywhere is really quite sad.

Blind faith.
    Past glories have earned Romero the benefit of the doubt, not blind faith.

I guess I'm just disillusioned to the point of having no faith in him delivering.

It just grinds me (and it's kind of sad that I let it do so) that people completely disregard overwhelming negative reviews because it's about a film they have complete blind faith in.
    How can you criticize people for being hopeful and reserving judgement when you yourself are making huge assumptions based on your own preconceived notions and third party reviews? You have blind faith in his failure to a much greater extent than anyone here has blind faith in his success.

Go back and read all the threads in this section where the banter is largely skeptical of Survival. There's no blind faith here.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    Past glories have earned Romero the benefit of the doubt, not blind faith.

How can you criticize people for being hopeful and reserving judgement when you yourself are making huge assumptions based on your own preconceived notions and third party reviews? You have blind faith in his failure to a much greater extent than anyone here has blind faith in his success.

Go back and read all the threads in this section where the banter is largely skeptical of Survival. There's no blind faith here.

Very eloquently put. Furthermore, the fact that he has made the best zombie films to date have implications that are twofold.

!0 Yes he has earned the benefit of the doubt.

2) it's a sad endicment on the industry that no one has been able to top any of the original triology in what ? 40 years?

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    it's a sad endicment on the industry that no one has been able to top any of the original triology in what ? 40 years?
    What a fantastic point.

In a world where people turn out an idea only to be mimiced and one-upped almost immediately, GAR has his work sitting atop a pedestal seemingly untouchable for decades.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I got that topped.

I did see Diary twice, but my second time, which was on dvd, I was so done with the film I never returned it to the case. The DVD circulated the apartment for months and eventually ended up with my former roommate, who I don't think will ever watch it.

A sad, sad fate, indeed, but no less than it deserves, I reckon.

I only bring it up, as Neil's comment reminded me about it and I thought it interesting, as I've never really done that before with another DVD that I can recall.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    i'll jump in to say that diary is one romero movie that does not get regular viewings at mike's house. most of the rest of george's stuff probably gets looked at once a month or once every other month (stuff like monkey shines) but interestingly enough, diary never seems to make the cut.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    I saw Diary in the theater and have watched the DVD three times I think. I did not like it, but more than that I didn't care enough about it to get worked up over it.

So why have I seen it 3 times? I keep getting sucker punched around here by someone who says it will get better over time, or that certain parts of it are good, etc. Then I watch it again and the memories of past traumas all come flooding back. I walk around for a week scared and angry anytime I see a camera or hear about YouTube.

And I'll watch it again. I'm planning a pre-Survival Dead marathon. Diary may be the retarded bastard stepchild, but it still gets invited to the family reunions.
    Last edited by Trin; 01-Oct-2009 at 02:37 PM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    . Diary may be the retarded bastard stepchild, but it still gets invited to the family reunions.

I guess that makes Land the creepy Uncle who once touched you inapproriately when you were 7.
    Last edited by clanglee; 02-Oct-2009 at 02:34 AM.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."