Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Thor movie

Dying

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    That's where I disagree.....it works just fine in the comics but in the medium of film where you have a MUCH larger audience, most of which know nothing about the comics, you've got different rules to play by. Sure, the comic fans will know about different universes and will have the suspension from the start, but to keep these films in the general audience's eye they need to keep it more simple. So once you have all these guys together in what I imagine will be an epic Avengers film, it's going to be difficult to turn around and split them up again. Most of the audience is going to be expecting one thing, while the film takes a step back and delivers something on a smaller scale that they saw in the first Captain America/Iron Man/Etc.

Just as on off beat example.....I can't tell you how many times people tried to convince me that Batman Begins was a prequel to Burton's Batman(89). I would try to explain to them that it's an all new series....a totally different batman...a different universe. But they just couldn't wrap their head around it. "But they show the joker card at the end!", they would argue. It wasn't until The Dark Knight's release that the non-comic fans started to understand what I was trying to explain to them.

So if something THAT simple was hard to understand, I can definitely see The Avengers causing some trouble for the individual characters. Even if there were no Avengers film coming, you know they're still going to reboot these things within a decade's time, anyway. Audiences will get bored, profits will drop, "time to start over". It's just the way Hollywood does it these days...
    And there may well be confusion if reboots do happen down the line. That's a different subject from the point that you originally brought up, though, which is that individual movies wouldn't be believable after an ensemble movie. As it stands now, Marvel has done things the smart way and established individual franchises before going for The Avengers. I don't see why you can't go back to those franchises and occasionally bring them back together for an "event" movie.

And to be honest, I don't know if there WILL be reboots of the franchises down the line. If Marvel really is dedicated to making this fluid universe in movies, why wouldn't they just make more sequels that continue the story? It seems to be the most logical way to continue about things. Spider-Man had to be rebooted if they wanted it in this shared universe, as did the Hulk, and if they decide that they want the Fantastic Four in it they'll have to reboot that as well (not exactly a horrible loss considering how bad the two movies were). Once it's established as being in the same world, however, actors, writers, and directors can change but the universe can stay the same. If that's how it's being handled, that's actually an incredibly smart long term strategy.

This isn't like DC, where the Batman franchise had been so totally destroyed that it required starting from scratch.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchified View Post
    And there may well be confusion if reboots do happen down the line. That's a different subject from the point that you originally brought up, though, which is that individual movies wouldn't be believable after an ensemble movie. As it stands now, Marvel has done things the smart way and established individual franchises before going for The Avengers. I don't see why you can't go back to those franchises and occasionally bring them back together for an "event" movie.
    Yeah, my mind wonders sometimes. Sorry about that.

Forgetting about reboots, what I was trying to say is that once these guys get together for the "event" of the avengers, to a general audience it's going to be a step back when they return to their individual franchises. We, as nerds, have no problem with it. But when you look at it through the eyes of a general audience member it will definitely seem like a step down. When you consider that The Avengers is essentially a sequel to each of the franchises, the next entry has to go bigger. That's the "rule" with sequels. Bigger, bigger, BIGGER. Hollywood has to make each sequel bigger. How can you go from this collection of the world's mightiest warriors....back to just Iron Man? When that happens, the numbers will drop.

The nerds will understand. We'll be there opening day for Iron Man 3. It's when the general audience's numbers drop that it starts to get into trouble. Without the numbers there to support these sequels, they stop making them. In turn - the franchises start over. The Avengers will ultimately hurt Marvel's bottom line and in the end hurt the fans' dreams of multiple sequels to come. I hope I'm wrong, though...

Administrator

England
    Yeah, after the credits of Iron Man 2 there was a scene showing the discovery of Thor's hammer. Most of the reviews I've seen for Thor say there's something similar that leads into this summer's Captain America. I imagine Captain America will then have something that leads into next year's The Avengers. Marvel's really setting up shop, aren't they?
    There was something that leads to Captain America? Can't see how as Thor was modern day, and Captain America is set in the past?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    There was something that leads to Captain America? Can't see how as Thor was modern day, and Captain America is set in the past?
    Thats' what i've heard. I haven't seen Thor yet, but they say it's the cosmic cube and it could lead back to Red Skull in Captain America. Or something like that. You could probably find the end clip on youtube...

You will have to ask Mitch, I think he knows about it.
    Last edited by bassman; 06-May-2011 at 04:44 PM. Reason: .

Dying

United States
    Thats' what i've heard. I haven't seen Thor yet, but they say it's the cosmic cube and it could lead back to Red Skull in Captain America. Or something like that. You could probably find the end clip on youtube...

You will have to ask Mitch, I think he knows about it.
    Obviously I have no clue how they'll handle it in the movie, but in the comics Captain America was found frozen in Antarctica by the Avengers. He had been preserved there after his final mission went awry at the end of World War II, presumably killing his sidekick Bucky (although nobody stays dead in comics except for the Waynes and Uncle Ben) and leading to him being unknowingly frozen (the world thought that he was dead). It's been announced that Captain America will be a part of the Avengers, so some sort of trickery like this is probably going to be used in the movies as well. If you go back a page or two on this thread I put up a spoiler with the Cosmic Cube explanation.

What some people are forgetting is that Captain America already has two other tie-ins in the movies already. His shield appeared in both Iron Man movies, and Emil Blonsky (the Abomination) is given the Super Soldier serum in Incredible Hulk. There's been a lot of foreshadowing going on.

Super Moderator

United States
    Perhaps they worked the Namor angle with Thor or someone else from the film subbing in...

Just a guess.

Maybe MZ knows, though.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Perhaps they worked the Namor angle with Thor or someone else from the film subbing in...

Just a guess.

Maybe MZ knows, though.
    No idea, I don't read any of these comics and never have.

But yeah, there was a scene at the end of Thor (much better, and longer, than the one at the end of Iron Man 2 - which was a piss take, we were all like "we waited all through the credits for this?!") ... perhap in terms of setting up Captain America, this cube gets hidden in the actual movie, and is then discovered just after/during the events of Thor ... and then Captain America has to somehow end up fighting with The Avengers (no idea how that occurs, as I've not read the comics, but there'll be a way I'm assuming).

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    One thing to note however, it's perhaps the loudest movie of the year ... and the bassiest.
    Too right! That guardian thing that Thor has a ruck with is a reet noisy bastard when it shoots fire out of its chops!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Too right! That guardian thing that Thor has a ruck with is a reet noisy bastard when it shoots fire out of its chops!
    I know! It sounded like it was about to blow apart the ruddy speakers!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    watched it and really enjoyed it, surprised by the lack of fighting in it.

-oh and the after credits reveal was the cosmic cube, an item of unlimited power that the red skull is after to fuel the nazi regime in captain america.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    watched it and really enjoyed it, surprised by the lack of fighting in it.

-oh and the after credits reveal was the cosmic cube, an item of unlimited power that the red skull is after to fuel the nazi regime in captain america.
    But isn't Captain America set 70yrs or so ago?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    But isn't Captain America set 70yrs or so ago?
    spoiler neil maybe cap gets the cube away from the red skull/nazis and out of the wrong hands an saves the day

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Cap also has to make it into the present day storylines by the end of his first film or the beginning of the Avengers. The WWII era thing isn't really an issue.
    Last edited by bassman; 08-May-2011 at 01:11 PM. Reason: .