Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Spiderman reboot is go...

Administrator

England
    Im not really talking about movies but more in general, it may come as a suprise to some of you but i was quite a geeky kid and quite big into DC.. i loved batman, superman, the flash, the green latern.. DC has better characters, better stories, better atmosphere.. the best villains ever, i dont think anybody here can name a more varied and colourful set of super villains than the batman universe has.

Marvel, beyond xmen, the hulk and spiderman.. i couldnt name a single character, all the hulk movies where lame. The xmen movies where mediocre and the spiderman movies where just a total cheese fest...

Compare any of the spiderman movies to the dark knight and i dare a single member here to sincerely say they preferred this -:

BTW im only using the dark knight as a comparison becuase it came out around the same time, i dont think its the best batman movie in fact i dont rate heath ledger much as the joker at all.. Batman Returns was the best batman movie

The only good thing i can say about marvel is the old x-men cartoon was pretty awesome.. it was probably my third favourite after Batman:TAS and TNMT as a child. Other than that 1 cartoon, DC wins every single time.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    it may come as a suprise to some of you but i was quite a geeky kid and quite big into DC.
    Ah ha! Now we know where this Spidey hate comes from

Yeah, the 3rd Spiderman was pretty bad, but I don't see how that really tarnishes the success of the first two installments in the series.

DC has better characters, better stories, better atmosphere.. the best villains ever
    You must have started reading comics in the 90s, Andy. I honestly feel the complete opposite from my experience reading 70s & 80s books. I feel Marvel trailblazed character development & political awareness in the 60s & 70s, had a great run of it in the 80s (also when DC really started to come on again with some stellar material) and tottered in the 90s (mostly due to dilution of quality from over-success with their IPs and the industry in general). Others may disagree with me, but I know I'm far from alone in my feelings on this. DC has the most iconic characters, though--I would not waste time debating that, but it arguably came at the cost of too much camp via 60s lunchbox culture, Adam West Batman tv series and the Super Friends, which sort of helped keep their traditional mindset in place, or at least more so than Marvel through those decades.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Ah ha! Now we know where this Spidey hate comes from

Yeah, the 3rd Spiderman was pretty bad, but I don't see how that really tarnishes the success of the first two installments in the series.

You must have started reading comics in the 90s, Andy. I honestly feel the complete opposite from my experience reading 70s & 80s books. I feel Marvel trailblazed character development & political awareness in the 60s & 70s, had a great run of it in the 80s (also when DC really started to come on again with some stellar material) and tottered in the 90s (mostly due to dilution of quality from over-success with their IPs and the industry in general). Others may disagree with me, but I know I'm far from alone in my feelings on this. DC has the most iconic characters, though--I would not waste time debating that, but it arguably came at the cost of too much camp via 60s lunchbox culture, Adam West Batman tv series and the Super Friends, which sort of helped keep their traditional mindset in place, or at least more so than Marvel through those decades.
    Completely agree with this. John Byrne's run on Fantastic Four, Chris Claremont's X-men, The Secret Wars, Early McFarlane Spidey,... all good stuff.
    Really dug the first two Raimi films as well, allthough the design on Green Goblin sucked. Looked a bit too power rangers.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    allthough the design on Green Goblin sucked. Looked a bit too power rangers.
    I will agree with this. It didn't bother me through most of the movie, but then at the end of the 1st film there's close ups when he and Spiderman duel it out and you can see the face mask a bit too close and the detailing was...not to my taste. I think it looked fine from a distance, but up close not so much--probably my biggest complaint about the first film, though.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Dunno, maybe its becuase im not a marvel fan?

Raimi's spiderman films where really lame though..

This video about sums up alot of my feelings.

i tried watching that video and while i'll concede that the first spidey films were far from perfect and that they pissed all over the classic storyline that i grew up with, i had to shut the video off before the list was even half over due to how annoying that guy's falsetto whining commentary was.

as optimistic as the fan in me can be in regards to properly bringing the story spider-man to the big screen, this iteration is already off on the wrong foot with horrible casting (sally field as aunt may? WTF?) and a costume that is just flat-out wrong. it's hard for me to see past those almost-fatal flaws.

it's kinda similar to my spider-man video-game dilemma. no matter how many spider-man games are released, they never seem to get it quite right. if you could take all the great elements and features of each game and combine them, you'd have one epic spider-man game that fans could really enjoy. instead, they keep rushing out these hasty productions that get a few things right and ignore other key areas entirely.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Batman Returns was the best batman movie
    Highly, highly disagree with this. Returns is the least "batman" movie out of the history of batman films. Even Batman: The Movie and Batman & Robin were closer to the characters than Burton's "artistic" masturbation of a film. Call it a great Burton film, but it is most certainly not a Batman film.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos
    it's kinda similar to my spider-man video-game dilemma. no matter how many spider-man games are released, they never seem to get it quite right.
    Another area where DC pulls ahead. Arkham Asylum and Arkham City are the best superhero games in history. Hands down.
    Last edited by bassman; 09-Feb-2012 at 08:16 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I just rewatched Batman Begins the other week and concluded that it wasn't as great as I seemed to remember it being. In fact, it was average at best. Haven't rewatched The Dark Knight, but I wasn't shitting-my-pants impressed with it in the cinema. While I can see how TDK elevates itself above the average superhero flick, I'm not sure I can say the same for Batman Begins.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Another area where DC pulls ahead.
    Since you're keeping score, who's ahead in the war against Christmas?

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Dunno if anyone's seen this - but here is a new trailer for this ridiculous idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atCfTRMyjGU

Even goes as far as including hints that this is indeed pretty much a scene for scene remake with a few variations - Lizard dude as the antagonist. Whatever. Oh and it's in 3D. Oh and I couldn't give a flying fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Administrator

England
    ^^ Have to say, that looks alright! But then I love the idea of Spiderman
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    ^^ Have to say, that looks alright! But then I love the idea of Spiderman
    Thanks for updating the youtube tag...I couldn't be bothered to give it the effort....haha

It's not for me, wait til it comes on Sky and all that....I might go see Superman but I hate Zack Snyder so much I am debating it.

But as for this, I'm definitely giving it a miss due to lack of interest. Love a bit of Emma Stone though, but even she can't save this one for me.

-- -------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I just rewatched Batman Begins the other week and concluded that it wasn't as great as I seemed to remember it being. In fact, it was average at best. Haven't rewatched The Dark Knight, but I wasn't shitting-my-pants impressed with it in the cinema. While I can see how TDK elevates itself above the average superhero flick, I'm not sure I can say the same for Batman Begins.
    I completely agree with this re: BB. TDK is better, but even that movie has some serious flaws. People seem unable to see them, I don't know? I think it's because these movies are really the first credible outing into the Batman universe - but ultimately that's just not enough for me. Yeah they're mature but if you boil it down to the films on their actual merits as entertainment, you've got two exceptionally poorly placed movies with a seriously bad Batman and an intensely loose plot line.

TDK went on for about half hour longer than it needed to, and I've said time and time again that the tacked on hospital subplot was neither necessary nor entertaining - but we did get to see the Joker dressed as a Nurse, so that must be worth including. Ugh.

I seriously cannot stand Bale's silly voice either. It's stupid. It devalues the entire movie quite dramatically in my eyes. And BB is nothing short of boring, it ambles along without a point for so long and feels SO indulgent. I just don't care for either of them really - although admittedly there have been a LOT worse movies, especially Batman ones....I could even risk being called a heretic by naming them: Batman, Batman Returns, and everything that followed. I just felt them all to be stagnant, boring and not remotely gripping. Keaton's Batman was the worst for me, he was such a bad choice in my eyes that I couldn't enjoy it whatsoever.

Also the fact that Batman has never really been able to move his neck makes the whole thing look awkward and stupid, and this was only just addressed in TDK but the problem was nowhere near solved.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Super Moderator

United States
    Yeah, I'm not really interested in this flick either. To me, Spidey 1 and 2 hit all the major marks and a reboot is totally unecessary at this point. They'd have been better served by continuing the story on with a different cast and building out the mythology of that character in film for his fans. It wouldn't have to go the route of the 90s Batman franchise films where eventually the wheels so thoroughly came off, they could have recovered after Spiderman 3/Emo Parker. At least the attempt to do so would have been more worth the time than just a reboot.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    I completely agree with this re: BB. TDK is better, but even that movie has some serious flaws. People seem unable to see them, I don't know? I think it's because these movies are really the first credible outing into the Batman universe - but ultimately that's just not enough for me. Yeah they're mature but if you boil it down to the films on their actual merits as entertainment, you've got two exceptionally poorly placed movies with a seriously bad Batman and an intensely loose plot line.
    I must be one of the few people who likes BB more than TDK!?

I watch it recently with my other half and still loved it. She really enjoyed it to. Keep meaning to watch TDK again (with my other half) and see what I think of it second time around.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I must be one of the few people who likes BB more than TDK!?
    I hear that a lot, actually. In a way....I agree with it. As a complete film, Begins is probably the better film, but in this huge batman fan's opinion - TDK is the best batman film ever. TDK had almost everything I had always wanted out of a batman film. The characters were given the true adaptation that they deserved, we see more of a detective side to batman, he struggles with the idea that the "freaks" are actually his fault, etc.

Begins is a top notch film in it's own self-contained form, but TDK is just THE Batman movie, imo. Both of them have flaws, but they definitely take their places as some of the best comic adaptations of all time...
    Last edited by bassman; 26-Apr-2012 at 01:54 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Big fan of BB and TDK, but out of the two I'd pick TDK ultimately.

Spider-Man reboot? Low-level interest. I'm envisioning waiting until it's on Sky Movies. That trailer was also pretty bland ... didn't raise any hairs ... perhaps I've been spoiled by the incredibly good trailers for Prometheus, but come on, I can't be the only one who hasn't been impressed by either main trailers for this flick?

I had to laugh at "the untold story" when it came up on screen, too.

Emma Stone is of course a big plus ... but I ain't paying damn near ten-flipping-quid to see it in the cinema. Sod that.