Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Wow. This movie was crappy.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Redman6565 View Post
    I found it funny how all those zombies showed up at the barn and the house with the panic room yet the hospital had very few.
    Add to it the fact that they were in the mansion for quite a while before the zombies attacked. They ate. They unpacked their gear. They stood at the side of the pool and looked at the motionless zombies in the pool. They beat us up with some commentary. Then, all of a sudden, the zombies were pouring in. With no catalyst whatsoever the zombies climbed out of the pool and knew to invade the mansion.

By contrast in the hospital and suburbs and warehouse there were no zombies at all. Those were areas with much higher population density. I found that very counter-intuitive.

This is kinda what I'm saying about the movie having none of that claustraphobic feeling of the originals. They were relatively safe everywhere they went except the barn. I think the movie would've been significantly better had they quickly become surrounded by zombies everywhere they went and have to fight their way out to move on. It still could've been a road movie and yet could've captured that "nowhere to run" feeling. The Dawn crew was in a helicopter and it still had a much more panicked and tense feeling. To quote Fran, "It's everywhere." In Diary it appeard to be virtually nowhere.

There is no way people would still be going to work with all that stuff being played over the air. Heck, the warning at the very start would have caused everything to fall apart.
    I agree. The one point I would make here is that hospital workers would probably still be going to work. The medical profession tends to attrack savior types. Nurses, EMTs, and doctors all tend to have a "rise to the call" mentality. To them these kinds of situations are their moment to shine. They wouldn't abandon the hospitals until things got really bad.

My current thinking on the hospital staff is that the place was so small and rural that the couple of zombies we saw in medical apparel might've been the only staff on duty at that late hour.

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    I found it funny how all those zombies showed up at the barn and the house with the panic room yet the hospital had very few. By the way to all the people that continue to say the world wouldn't fall apart so quickly. You weren't watching this movie.

If this was all starting to happen and people would still be going to work then why was the hospital so empty? The hospital would be one of the early over run places in the first few days not some barn and house out in the sticks. Or were all those zombies going to all the work places for a bite to eat? Wouldn't a hospital have people showing up left and right early on.

There is no way people would still be going to work with all that stuff being played over the air. Heck, the warning at the very start would have caused everything to fall apart. I really don't think this movie was thought out very well at all. By the way, why wasn't the Black Panther area crawling with zombies? If a barn out in the middle of B.F.E. was crawling with dead people that area would have been wall to wall with zombies.

Another thing that was off was the guy in the mummy suit. He was very shady when they got there before he changed. Almost criminal. Also, why did it take him so much longer to change while the kid at the hospital changed faster. Both suffered one bite. These are just a few things that stick out after watching Diary a second time.
    Couldn't this also be said about NOTLD? On the first night, there were 50 zombies attacking a farm house in the middle of nowhere. If it was that widespread that quickly, things would've collapsed WAY before the 3 weeks prior to Dawn.

Let's be honest, GAR is not the best when it comes to continuity. This series has its share of inconsistencies.
    Last edited by Dead Hoosier; 30-May-2008 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    My current thinking on the hospital staff is that the place was so small and rural that the couple of zombies we saw in medical apparel might've been the only staff on duty at that late hour.

That is exactly my thought process. I was once hospitalized during a family summer vacation and the hospital there was very small (two stories) and didn't have a huge staff. I'm sure the hospital in Diary was in a small town and/or out of the way. It may have only been one story even.

United States
    And that would keep all the surrounding bite victims away how exactly?
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by jim102016 View Post
    Damn shame about that Texas chick leaving, she would have been great for passing the time in the panic room.
    word
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 31-May-2008 at 12:30 AM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    word
    As long as you forceably removed the phrase "don't mess with texas!!" from her vocabulary.
    Last edited by clanglee; 31-May-2008 at 01:38 AM.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    The hospital thing kills me. No matter the size of it you'd have people coming in left and right with bite victims. Inside of 24 hours you have a hospital with a few dead and an empty dorm. If you listen to the radio report at the start of the movie it states there are 'six cases' reported. It's just hard to miss this stuff.

In the features Romero stated that it was nice to do a movie like this. He didn't have to answer to anyone or worry about budget worry about staying on story. I know we all like freedom but this movie needed to be reeled in it was all over the place.

Also, the video at the start was downlaoded three days before all the stuff in this movie started. That wonderful video where the news lady stood there so the zombie could bite her face off. Not real believable at all.

What kills me about this movie is I am a huge fan of George Romero. I couldn't wait to get this flick. Now I'm worried about him doing another one. That kills me. I never thought I'd be worried about Romero doing a zomibe movie. There are so many things wrong with this movie it makes me wonder what they were looking at when they finished. It's not as bad as some zomibe movies, Zombi3 and Day 2 to name a few, but it's bad.

Dead

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    As long as you forceably removed the phrase "don't mess with texas!!" from her vocabulary.
    Nah, let her scream out whatever she wants.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    like i've said before, george needs to step away from zombies.

please ABC (or somebody- ABC paid for it) produce george's dracula miniseries script that has been in development hell since 2004 or so.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    As fast as this movie moved, as far as infection goes. There should have been no electric at all.

Take the hospital scene. The only lights should have been the emergency ones. Next the hospital should have had lots of zombies wandering around the place. Think back to the Day movie when the two characters were thrown into the tunnels. The tunnels were rather large but with little light and the fact that there were zombies scattered throughout wanting to eat them made the scene feel VERY claustraphobic. This is exactly how the hospital should have been. This moment in Diary should have been very powerful but what we got was a major let down.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    And that would keep all the surrounding bite victims away how exactly?
    I think it justifies why there weren't more staff present without relying on the assumption that the medical staff abandoned the place.

As for why there weren't more bite victims, well, my first thought is that there should've been. But for the sake of liking the movie I can believe that it was too soon into things for such a rural area to be overrun via bites and infection. The zombies would've had to start off from already dead people (assumedly from morgues or funural homes) or accident victims such as from the car crash they ran upon. Outside of those kinds of things I don't think rural areas just have a high number of corpses ready for reanimation at any given time.

@Redman - You're making some excellent points and I too am a huge Romero fan that now fears future GAR zombie movies.

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Doubting GAR ... that's sure become widespread since Land came out. While you can find flaws with most films, he had FOREVER to plan these films out perfectly, but he is clearly just not capable. I've pretty much come to the opinion that he got lucky with Dawn -- which also had its comical flaws -- and it has been WAY downhill since.
    I liked Diary, but the more I watch it, the more problems I have with it. The genius I thought GAR was when I was a kid, well, it no longer exists. He seems like an old man too wrapped up in his "message," which comes across as if we are all brain-dead.

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by jim102016 View Post
    Nah, let her scream out whatever she wants.
    hahaha my name would be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    I think it justifies why there weren't more staff present without relying on the assumption that the medical staff abandoned the place.

As for why there weren't more bite victims, well, my first thought is that there should've been. But for the sake of liking the movie I can believe that it was too soon into things for such a rural area to be overrun via bites and infection. The zombies would've had to start off from already dead people (assumedly from morgues or funural homes) or accident victims such as from the car crash they ran upon. Outside of those kinds of things I don't think rural areas just have a high number of corpses ready for reanimation at any given time.

@Redman - You're making some excellent points and I too am a huge Romero fan that now fears future GAR zombie movies.
    I've sat through Diary twice over the past two days. There is a scene that was shot in a small rural town where there is nothing but dead walking around. It starts out in black and white then turns to color. There was a female zombie she is one of the crew who worked on the movie and she has a spot on the extras. This was another not so well thought out scene where it kills the arguement of there being few zombies. This town is over run with dead. Watch this scene and tell me it does not feel like it was cut from the Land movie. I liked Land by the way.

This movie takes place over two days and I think for what ever reason GAR got ahead of him self and lost track of time in telling this story. That scares me for future zombies movies from him where there isn't someone keeping him focused. I am still a huge fan though and I'll buy the next movie he does. You really can't help but love the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Hoosier View Post
    Doubting GAR ... that's sure become widespread since Land came out. While you can find flaws with most films, he had FOREVER to plan these films out perfectly, but he is clearly just not capable. I've pretty much come to the opinion that he got lucky with Dawn -- which also had its comical flaws -- and it has been WAY downhill since.
    I liked Diary, but the more I watch it, the more problems I have with it. The genius I thought GAR was when I was a kid, well, it no longer exists. He seems like an old man too wrapped up in his "message," which comes across as if we are all brain-dead.
    I think Night, Dawn, and Day all run together very well. Sure they have their flaws but there isa nice progression from A to B to C. It made sense. I don't think it was wise to go back as he did with Diary. Heck, I'd love to watch the motor cycle gang getting around up to when they reached the mall in Dawn. Or what took place before everyone ended up under ground in Day. What is there after Day could make a good movie. To me Land felt like it took place slightly before Day. There are all kinds of things he could do but does he have the means, money, to do it?
    Last edited by Redman6565; 31-May-2008 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    There's more diversity here than anywhere else in the country,
    Hey Darth, I'm not sure that New York has Los Angeles beat in the category of diversity, but we are equally as sheltered here in California as you all migh be there!

Sorry to redigress back off topic here!
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 07-Jun-2008 at 08:00 PM.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Super Moderator

United States
    To me Land felt like it took place slightly before Day.
    Oh, Jesus Christos ...

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany