Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Too many of them, not enough ammo!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowofthedead View Post
    tough choice... protection or resources???
    That's the easiest choice. You can't eat the food you're growing if you're dead. And you can't grow anything anyway; sit in one place for months on end, and you will be eaten, no matter how "safe" you think you might be.

Anything that keeps the dead off of you is the #1 priority. Because without that one thing, nothing else is ever going to matter.

England
    If there's anything I know nothing about, it's agriculture.

Tinned food and bottled drink for me.

Weapons? I have a couple swords that are servicable, but I would like to get a shotgun at some point if the sh!t hit the fan. With no experience with guns (aside from airguns), a shotgun would be best as the pellets spread out, you don't have to be hyperaccurate!
    "and I looked and beheld, a zombie stamped with the number of the Beast"

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Why not a small island between the US and Canida? The ones they sell starting in the low $30,000's. Not real big but I'd imagine pretty safe.
    Last edited by Redman6565; 08-Jun-2008 at 07:22 PM.

Undisclosed
    I think we need to look at a few sources in able to discuss the rural vs erban environment. In the Dawn world a rural area would be prefered in my opinion. The dead did not seem to travel very from from their current location however in the WWZ world I think they just kept traveling across the country and they smelled or heard you and communication by yelling?... One might choose to stay in an urban area for a fortified location. A prison would work well...except for the prisoners... I feel pretty safe at my own home...it was built by a survivalist who had expected the work to end. Bomb shelter 60 acres fenced with barb wire and a look out tower. I feel I would be better suited to a rural environment.

Just been bitten Shadowofthedead's Avatar

Aaland
    well back to oxford.... the city if you wanna call it that isnt very big... surrounded by a lot of trees it has been labeled a tree city, usa... so a lot of natural cover and a lot of brick buildings. alot of allies to. for anyone whose been up town oxford there are alot of places to be barricaded in such as the alleys and back bars. three bars in oxford are connected to one another so they provide a world of fun. plus i could use the miami delivery trucks and buses that shuttle students around to block off the alleys or whatever need be. plus with the surroundin farm land there would always be a place to grow food. and eventually with the absence of human interaction i assume that the animals wild as they be would come into town for their choice of food. that would make huntin them easy from the roof tops. did i forget to mention bomb shelters at two of the three schools in town. oxford is a renewable resource itself which is why it would be on my number one priority list after tshtf. oh oxford doenst have its own special response team or swat as it may be called some places. they rely on the local county sheriffs office for that help. i would go into it more but i think yall have the idea scipio know what im talkin about as well.

my real idea would be to take oxford and grow my food in and outside of town. i would appoint someone i trusted to over see my area that i took and hopefully expansion would commence. oh did i forget to mention the network of underground tunnels that heat the sidewalks for the miami students. oh and the abandoned military base outside of oxford. oxford would have alot of promise. thats why i would sitck around if things went bad.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    resources, protection, and ass.

three things u need to survive a zed attack

Aaland
    ive got all three... miami has alot of very very VERY VERY HOT SEXY FOXY BANGIN.... you pick the word then add women. they would be more then grateful for anyone savin their lives.. hahaha

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy911sc View Post
    I think we need to look at a few sources in able to discuss the rural vs erban environment. In the Dawn world a rural area would be prefered in my opinion. The dead did not seem to travel very from from their current location however in the WWZ world I think they just kept traveling across the country and they smelled or heard you and communication by yelling?... One might choose to stay in an urban area for a fortified location. A prison would work well...except for the prisoners... I feel pretty safe at my own home...it was built by a survivalist who had expected the work to end. Bomb shelter 60 acres fenced with barb wire and a look out tower. I feel I would be better suited to a rural environment.
    If you base this all on the GAR world then the zombies traveled far away from the urban areas.Take Day, the numbers grew over the course of that movie out in the middle of know where. Their underground base was starting to become over run by them. Sort of strange, it was like the more people died the more zombies came. Kind of wierd.

My only concern would come from your ability not to be able to travel after awhile. I love the prison idea. If they are all in their cells let them turn and who cares they can't chew their way out. A school wouldn't be bad either. I just think that in a rural area would get real small once you have hundreds of thousands of zombies coming at you from all directions. Slow moving or not that would be a major deal. Good luck no matter what you choose. lol

well back to oxford.... the city if you wanna call it that isnt very big... surrounded by a lot of trees it has been labeled a tree city, usa... so a lot of natural cover and a lot of brick buildings. alot of allies to. for anyone whose been up town oxford there are alot of places to be barricaded in such as the alleys and back bars. three bars in oxford are connected to one another so they provide a world of fun. plus i could use the miami delivery trucks and buses that shuttle students around to block off the alleys or whatever need be. plus with the surroundin farm land there would always be a place to grow food. and eventually with the absence of human interaction i assume that the animals wild as they be would come into town for their choice of food. that would make huntin them easy from the roof tops. did i forget to mention bomb shelters at two of the three schools in town. oxford is a renewable resource itself which is why it would be on my number one priority list after tshtf. oh oxford doenst have its own special response team or swat as it may be called some places. they rely on the local county sheriffs office for that help. i would go into it more but i think yall have the idea scipio know what im talkin about as well.

my real idea would be to take oxford and grow my food in and outside of town. i would appoint someone i trusted to over see my area that i took and hopefully expansion would commence. oh did i forget to mention the network of underground tunnels that heat the sidewalks for the miami students. oh and the abandoned military base outside of oxford. oxford would have alot of promise. thats why i would sitck around if things went bad.
    It's cool to see a few local zombie nuts in here. I am with you all the way. Oxford would be a good place to hold up.

Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    resources, protection, and ass.

three things u need to survive a zed attack

I hear yah. haha Good thing my wife doesn't care about this stuff I'd be sleeping on the couch tonight. Oxford has it all.
    Last edited by Redman6565; 11-Jun-2008 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

United States
    A prison is out of the question.

There are only three possible scenarios for a prison:

1. The place was locked down when all hell broke loose. You aren't getting in.

2. The inmates have taken over. You aren't getting in.

3. The place was not locked down before all hell broke loose. It is therefore now filled with zombies. You aren't getting in.

The only way it could work is if you were an employee of the prison, and #1 is in effect. That way, you'll know all the codes to work the locks and open the way in. Average Joe wouldn't be able to do anything but beat on the door and wish he could get in.

Dead

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    A prison is out of the question.

There are only three possible scenarios for a prison:

1. The place was locked down when all hell broke loose. You aren't getting in.

2. The inmates have taken over. You aren't getting in.

3. The place was not locked down before all hell broke loose. It is therefore now filled with zombies. You aren't getting in.

The only way it could work is if you were an employee of the prison, and #1 is in effect. That way, you'll know all the codes to work the locks and open the way in. Average Joe wouldn't be able to do anything but beat on the door and wish he could get in.

What if all the prisoners are in their cells and the front door is open?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by jim102016 View Post
    What if all the prisoners are in their cells and the front door is open?
    That falls under #3. The dead would have infested the place if it had been left open. Going in would be suicidal.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada

word. i do indeed understand what you are getting at here. oxford would be an almost ideal place to hole up. out in the middle of nowhere (nearest large town about 12 miles away) with all the other things that shadow mentioned. oh and everyone out here is armed to the teeth. the number of people that don't own guns around here wouldn't fill a flea's codpiece.

as long as it didn't happen when miami univ was in session we'd be as cool as the other side of the pillow. otherwise we'd have large numbers of wealthy, clueless idiots running about getting themselves killed while they tried to get to starbucks for that last latte.

miami university students.... ha they would be the first to turn to zombies. they are all said pathetic excuses for human existence. all of them... any who... the only people i would worry about in oxford are the nut balls in the trailer park. real nutballs. i know this because i lived there for about 6 months. so yeah.. oh and have you ever noticed that miami university's buildings are actually built very well... even some of their newer buildings beat the shiza out of my farm house. load up and clear out. my whole thing is protecting the farm... do my best to do it. renewable resource of green food a pond and plenty of wild animals to eat. oxford not so much... tough choice... protection or resources???
    again word on this. since my wife has to play ringmaster to these idiots (she is a professor at miami) she can attest to this better than anyone. although i don't know of anyone in oxford who would have a real problem with shooting a zombified miami student in the head. hell, most of the folks around here would enjoy it.
    Last edited by Mike70; 12-Jun-2008 at 03:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Great suggestion there Grim and really aids the idea of knives being a most formidable weapon against the dead with the whole no-reloading thing but ... in a world where the dead come to life with the urge for fresh flesh wouldn't there also be a bevvy of bullets available for us? It would only make sense!
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

Aaland

evil ned is bad....

i dont even remember what this thread was about... any who knives would be great but youd have to get mighty close to do some damage. id go with hatchets or light hand axes and machetes for the hips, bowie knives for the rear, 12 gauage moss berg with an 18-20 inch barrel in a back scabbard like in evil dead( they do exist and they can be made... ask me how in a private message), bandoleer(s) with 50-100 shot shells rangin from bird shot to buck t shot dead coyote and slugs, 357 magnum capabale of shootin 357 loads and 38 specials, and of course the fireman's axe. ha ha ha. and i know where to get it all. even the firemans axe!!! maybe in some cases i could do with out one or the other but i wouldnt worry myself for long range situations. i would be close enough to do some damage with any of my weapons and beable to fend off most low level human garbage. if i wanted long range i could goto any house in america or in my general area more or less and grab a 22 rimfire or some other special purpose rifle. you cannot discount guns in something like this but havin more of the melee type weapons requires less care and no ammunition. so yes... dont know what the weight of all these items listed would feel like but i know that one hundred shot shells strapped to your chest really isnt that cumbersome. but then i had the sawed off not the full sized shot gun. oh well guess ill have to experiment one day.

Dead

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    That falls under #3. The dead would have infested the place if it had been left open. Going in would be suicidal.
    What if it was an isolated prison in the middle of no where, say an island. The guards left all the prisoners in their cells with the front door open before they took the last boat to the mainland?