Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Indy 5 - Jumping a whole shoal of sharks?

United States
    No spliff for you, Dj.

So what was the problem for you w/Indy 4?

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Finally....someone else that's seen the first three and knows what the series is about!
    Yes, yes I have.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    No spliff for you, Dj.

So what was the problem for you w/Indy 4?
    Harrison Ford is 66 years old and some of the stuff he was doing in the movie stunt wise was total BS... Unbelieveable a 66yr old would do that.

The whole Alien sort thingy... WTF?

I didn't mind Shia LeBouf that much, but the whole package just looked and felt Mediocre... much like LAND of the DEAD

Indy 4 is Lucas, Spielberg and Fords, LAND of the DEAD... Shia was just the Jar Jar Binks/Big Daddy that everyone truly hates but puts on a facade saying it was the best thing since sliced bread. Only thing is SHIA was just not quite as annoying as BD and JJB
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 25-Aug-2010 at 03:04 PM.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Pick the most realistic one below:

A.) Oh yeah, the Ark of the Covenant killing Nazi's through the power of God. Oh yeah, that's an every day thing.

B.) The Holy Grail granting eternal life to anyone who partakes of it. Right...

C.) Or, wait for it... someone surviving a nuclear blast by securing themselves in a lead-lined fridge?

Okay folks... which of these three are more realistic than the others? C'mon... it's really not that difficult to choose.

j.p.
    Don't you mean which one of these does not fit thematically within the context of an Indiana Jones film?

This isn't the Adventures of Baron Munchhausen! If Indiana cannily dove into a refrigerator to survive a soviet bomb and somehow made it through an explosion that would have flattened most of a building, I'd have bought that. Surviving by the skin of one's teeth through crazy circumstances is one thing (and a grand tradition in both Indiana Jones films and the cliff-hangers the film is an homage to), but this set piece with the atom bomb test was unnecessary and lame.

I guess you guys would think it was perfectly fine for Ben to have pulled out a light saber and started whacking zombies in Night...I mean shit, zombies don't exist, light sabers don't exist, what the hell? Right? Makes about as much sense to me.

None of this really changes that the film mis-stepped in so many areas that a lot of people just couldn't look past the nuked fridge. If the film had been alright otherwise, I think a lot of people would have just rolled their eyes at the one part and enjoyed the rest of it.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 25-Aug-2010 at 04:14 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I guess you guys would think it was perfectly fine for Ben to have pulled out a light saber and started whacking zombies in Night...
    Well, with a name like Ben it wouldn't be too much of a stretch of the imagination. - maybe his surname was Kenobi...

"If you strike me down, I will become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."

POW!

"There's another one for the fire..."

Damn.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Carcass View Post
    Well, with a name like Ben it wouldn't be too much of a stretch of the imagination. - maybe his surname was Kenobi...

"If you strike me down, I will become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."

POW!

"There's another one for the fire..."

Damn.

Fair enough!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Now that would be a hell of a weapon for the zombie crisis. You would have no problems with a lightsaber.

United States
    Now that would be a hell of a weapon for the zombie crisis. You would have no problems with a lightsaber.
    I could see the Energizer bunny commercial now...

Ordinary Guy # 1 is lined up against a wall surrounded by zombies and then pulls his lightsaber out as they are about to attack him and the saber goes suddenly flickering dead. He opens the bottom of the lightsaber to discover Duracel batteries there instead of Energizer.

The camera flashes to the Energizer bunny with a voice-over saying: "Even when everything else dies, the Energizer keeps going, and going, and..." as you hear Ordinary Guy # 1's screams in the background.

Classic commercial.

j.p.
    Last edited by JDFP; 25-Aug-2010 at 06:17 PM.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Harrison Ford is 66 years old and some of the stuff he was doing in the movie stunt wise was total BS... Unbelieveable a 66yr old would do that.
    First, do you honestly think Harrison Ford looked 66 years old in this flick? If so, I'm worried. I only PRAY I'm able to look as good and move as well as Harrison at that age!

Bruce Willis was 52 when he did Live Free or Die Hard - do you think someone his age would be able to pull off the shit he did in that movie? Stallone, 56 and just did the Expendables... I can't buy into the age thing unless he really looked almost 70, and I don't think he did.

I'll give you the alien aspect - that was quite wonky (at least the last 10-15 minutes of the flick - I have no complaints about the crystal skull & its origins, but you're right about the ending/alien thing, that took it a bit too far..)

None of this really changes that the film mis-stepped in so many areas that a lot of people just couldn't look past the nuked fridge. If the film had been alright otherwise, I think a lot of people would have just rolled their eyes at the one part and enjoyed the rest of it.
    So you're saying that because of all the other flaws in the film, that's why people can't let the fridge scene go? Do you think the same could be said about Land & Big Daddy?

j/k, but seriously dude, I never hear any other complaints about the film aside from the "fridge" and SB. That's pretty much it. I don't hear about the other mis-steps in the film, it's usually just these two things brought up.

Y'know, Temple of Doom mis-stepped in a lot of ways too, and I don't see that getting anywhere near the hate that Crystal Skull gets. Interesting.

Either way, to each his own. This was a love it or hate it situation, there was no inbetween. It's a bummer the return of Indy wasn't what everyone was expecting... but then again, what were people expecting is my rehotical question.

*shurgs shoulders* I'm just in the minority I guess.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Y'know, Temple of Doom mis-stepped in a lot of ways too, and I don't see that getting anywhere near the hate that Crystal Skull gets. Interesting.
    The seperation of time. Same with Day. Both got shit when they were first released, but once people lightened up and realized that those sequels were NEVER going to be the same as the originals, they're now considered a welcomed part of the family.

Kingdom may never be a part of the immidiate family, but as time passes it will definitely be accepted as the loving and funny step brother with acne and B.O.....

United States
    Kingdom may never be a part of the immidiate family, but as time passes it will definitely be accepted as the loving and funny step brother with acne and B.O.....

"It's funny 'cause it's true!"

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    You are still arguing the do's and dont's and logic of a family adventure movie series involving pulling out hearts, voodoo, nazis melting, aliens and immortal grail knights.

PRO-TIP: The time spent arguing over a fridge, again, is time wasted doing anything better. just enjoy them for what they are, jesus, i mean you have ME of all people critiquing complaints about a franchise. ME!

Undisclosed
    Would people prefer Indy 4 or the SW prequels? I think the answer is obvious....
    It is obvious: the SW prequels.
    Indy 4 was/is/ and always will be a piece of garbage in my eyes and this coming from a long time Indiana Jones fan/collector besides being a huge fan of Lucas/Spielberg. It ranks up as one of the worst films I have ever seen - plain and simple for me. And it is the only Spielberg and/or Lucas film that I don't own (and will never own) on DVD or Bluray.

Very good Cannes review that says it like it is
    http://www.cinematical.com/2008/05/1...-crystal-skul/

Indy 4 was not like the first three films - It was a poorly made adventure film masquearading as a Indiana Jones film. You never thought at any time in the film that Indiana Jones was ever in peril. Indy 4 was not a Indiana Jones film and it makes my head go

when someone thinks it is.

Indy 5 - You got to be kidding...

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

Hey, say what you will about "Crystal Skull" not being as great as the other "Indiana Jones" flicks, but this debate about the fridge is just STUPID.

Pick the most realistic one below:

A.) Oh yeah, the Ark of the Covenant killing Nazi's through the power of God. Oh yeah, that's an every day thing.

B.) The Holy Grail granting eternal life to anyone who partakes of it. Right...

C.) Or, wait for it... someone surviving a nuclear blast by securing themselves in a lead-lined fridge?

Okay folks... which of these three are more realistic than the others? C'mon... it's really not that difficult to choose.

j.p.
    A and B are interesting to watch. C is just stupid.

Last edited by C5NOTLD; 25-Aug-2010 at 09:54 PM.

Undisclosed
    I could see the Energizer bunny commercial now...

Ordinary Guy # 1 is lined up against a wall surrounded by zombies and then pulls his lightsaber out as they are about to attack him and the saber goes suddenly flickering dead. He opens the bottom of the lightsaber to discover Duracel batteries there instead of Energizer.

The camera flashes to the Energizer bunny with a voice-over saying: "Even when everything else dies, the Energizer keeps going, and going, and..." as you hear Ordinary Guy # 1's screams in the background.

Classic commercial.

j.p.
    Genius... GENius... GENIUS
    Check out my 3 min zombie short for the diary contest.
    Among the Dead
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=29079528

United States
    I found this response post to the original article perfectly sums up my feelings about Crystal Skull.

I seriously don't understand people's bitching about Crystal Skull. Unrealistic? Ridiculous plots? You mean - as opposed to the stark, gritty historical realism of the first three Indiana Jones movies? Are you kidding me?

I'd say that people who make these complaints need to grow up, but the problem is precisely that they did. The thirtysomethings that make these complaints saw the first three Indy movies when they were tensomething - an age where they couldn't tell that they were unrealistic, and somehow it still hasn't registered with them just how much they were. Then they watch the new movie without a nostalgic haze around it, and suddenly are shocked to discover that Indiana Jones is unrealistic, escapist adventure. In other words, they're mad at Indiana Jones for being Indiana Jones.

If you want historical realism, watch Das Boot. Indiana Jones isn't, never was, and never will be, that.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."