Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: FEAR The Walking Dead - Season 5 discussion...

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    This episode also had what is probably the worst use of the Wilhelm Scream I’ve ever heard on film haha.
    haha, oh yeah, noticed that - stuck out like a sore thumb. Just felt too silly for the moment. Perhaps that particular sound effect is now too well known?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    haha, oh yeah, noticed that - stuck out like a sore thumb. Just felt too silly for the moment. Perhaps that particular sound effect is now too well known?
    Bro, I had to rewind the DVR when I heard that hilarity lmaoooooo!
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    5x14 "Today and Tomorrow" (aired September 15th 2019)

Directed by: Sydney Freeland
    Written by: Richard Naing & David Johnson

Last week's episode saw a LIVE viewing figure of 1.45m.

United States
    Even though the actual story is moving at a snail's pace, I kinda enjoyed this episode. Morgan and Daniel as the forefronts and I'm sold. Nice Beta Easter egg.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Even though the actual story is moving at a snail's pace, I kinda enjoyed this episode. Morgan and Daniel as the forefronts and I'm sold. Nice Beta Easter egg.
    Yeah. It was a decent episode despite, as you say, the crawling sense of pace. It's really nice to have Salazar looking on a more positive side of life again, bringing a bit of culture to the apocalypse. Actual culture ... not painting fucking trees.

What was the Beta easter egg?

United States
    Yeah. It was a decent episode despite, as you say, the crawling sense of pace. It's really nice to have Salazar looking on a more positive side of life again, bringing a bit of culture to the apocalypse. Actual culture ... not painting fucking trees.

What was the Beta easter egg?
    Now that I think about it, it most likely wasn’t a Easter egg at all, but, one of the record covers that was displayed was an artist that looked a lot like Ryan Hurst. The way it was placed kinda made it seem like it was important.

If you know Beta’s backstory it would make more sense, haha.

Doubt it, though.

Super Moderator

UK
    Now that I think about it, it most likely wasn’t a Easter egg at all, but, one of the record covers that was displayed was an artist that looked a lot like Ryan Hurst. The way it was placed kinda made it seem like it was important.

If you know Beta’s backstory it would make more sense, haha.

Doubt it, though.
    RE: Beta and the comics - IIRC:

They pull off his mask once he's dead, and discover he's someone famous, right? I don't think they ever say who or why they were famous, but just that he was famous.

It'd be cool if that was a little easter egg.

United States
    MZ-

Beta was a famous basketball player turned actor.

United States
    More questionable behavior, more filler. Keep moving, nothing new to see here
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Super Moderator

UK
    5x15 "Channel 5" (aired September 22nd 2019)

Directed by: David Barrett
    Written by: Michael Alaimo & Samir Mehta

Last week's episode got a LIVE viewing figure of 1.31m.

Super Moderator

UK
    The bridge sequence was pretty sweet - quite action packed, had a good sense of panic - but FFS, that dude hanging around 'cos he's "gotta get this" on tape. Such a wilfully stupid way to put yourself in danger ... they really couldn't write his death better than that? The guy had a choice to move his ass like any sensible person or chill out on a collapsing bridge and chose the latter. Just have him pinned and before anyone can get to him - down the bridge goes.

United States
    The bridge sequence was pretty sweet - quite action packed, had a good sense of panic - but FFS, that dude hanging around 'cos he's "gotta get this" on tape. Such a wilfully stupid way to put yourself in danger ... they really couldn't write his death better than that? The guy had a choice to move his ass like any sensible person or chill out on a collapsing bridge and chose the latter. Just have him pinned and before anyone can get to him - down the bridge goes.
    While I agree it could have been handled better, the dude on the bridge did what he did to show Virginia that the group managed to cross the bridge; even after the herd attack. Quite silly how he died, though haha. Not much of an emotional impact.

Overall, the bridge scene was cool but I'm really tired of the gimmicks used on the show. I guess I'm ready for Al and her camera to die already.

Super Moderator

UK
    While I agree it could have been handled better, the dude on the bridge did what he did to show Virginia that the group managed to cross the bridge; even after the herd attack. Quite silly how he died, though haha. Not much of an emotional impact.

Overall, the bridge scene was cool but I'm really tired of the gimmicks used on the show. I guess I'm ready for Al and her camera to die already.
    Although he still could have shown they crossed the bridge by, you know, finishing crossing the bridge himself and not chilling out on a collapsing structure!!! You can safely "get the shot" from the safety of the river bank where you're headed anyway.

This season has a whiff of 'playing for time'. So many conversations, various bits of stuff we don't need (painting bloody trees) ... it smacks of business above creativity. The same number of episodes but, so it seems anyway, a smaller budget having to be stretched further and further, with not enough story material to go around. You get fits and starts of what Fear could be all the time, but then we go right back to silly character choices or lapses in basic survival intelligence (how have they made it this long carrying on like that?) and, most egregiously of all - filler.

As you say, too, there was no real emotional impact. We'd only just met him (and have known his sister for an even shorter amount of time!), so his loss doesn't really carry any emotional heft for the audience. I don't even know what his name was!

United States
    Haha I can’t argue with that! Pretty spot on.

United States
    if Fear had better writers it could be so much better show. I believe the cast are plenty good enough actors..It's the writers/showrunner that hold it back
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.