Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: "Duke Nukem Forever" not dead?

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    OTHER REQUIREMENTS & SUPPORTS
    Initial installation requires one-time internet connection for Steam authentication; software installations required (included with the game) include Steam Client, Microsoft DirectX, Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (ATL), Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable, and AMD Dual Core Optimizer. (AMD optimizer required only for specific AMD processors to run the game correctly, but installs for all of them.)

My games machine is above 'recommended' so I'm a happy boy

F*cking Steam!!!!!

My rig is decidedly over the Recommended Requirements, but bloody bastarding Steam gets in the way - YET AGAIN - you know, gaming industry, not all of us have the PC, on which we sometimes game, connected to the internet - nor do we all have Wireless (in my area Wireless is next-to-utterly-useless) - and so just to install the game, I'd have to unplug the entire computer, drag it downstairs (it's a big arse heavy Quad Core rig), plug it all in, update all my security software, install the game - and do the "one time" activation, then unplug it all, drag it back upstairs again, plug it all back in, and then play it.

What a piss take. If Steam is so good, why have they not bothered, in the 7 years of its existence, been bothered enough to introduce a system that allows people in my position to install a damn game without having to go online on the same rig?!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

F*cking Steam!!!!!

My rig is decidedly over the Recommended Requirements, but bloody bastarding Steam gets in the way - YET AGAIN - you know, gaming industry, not all of us have the PC, on which we sometimes game, connected to the internet - nor do we all have Wireless (in my area Wireless is next-to-utterly-useless) - and so just to install the game, I'd have to unplug the entire computer, drag it downstairs (it's a big arse heavy Quad Core rig), plug it all in, update all my security software, install the game - and do the "one time" activation, then unplug it all, drag it back upstairs again, plug it all back in, and then play it.

What a piss take. If Steam is so good, why have they not bothered, in the 7 years of its existence, been bothered enough to introduce a system that allows people in my position to install a damn game without having to go online on the same rig?!
    Ummm dude? Pair of (200mbps) homeplugs so you've got a lan connection to your router? Then you have internet access all the time?

The other thing about Steam is it should keep Duke (& all Steam related games) upto date with patches automatically etc
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    you know, gaming industry, not all of us have the PC, on which we sometimes game, connected to the internet
    I'm pretty sure everyone does except for you, Minion

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

but bloody bastarding Steam gets in the way - YET AGAIN - you know, gaming industry, not all of us have the PC, on which we sometimes game, connected to the internet
    technically most computers outside of eastern europe do dude, just sayin'.

Gotta give up on your neo luddite 20th century zealotry sometime guy. technology won't wait for you forever

Super Moderator

UK
    The hell is a "homeplug"? I've got a modem, not a router, too.

Hellsing - oh dear, I don't like being forced into this "connectivity" and "DRM" nonsense. Plenty like me don't care for it.

Administrator

England
    The hell is a "homeplug"? I've got a modem, not a router, too.

Hellsing - oh dear, I don't like being forced into this "connectivity" and "DRM" nonsense. Plenty like me don't care for it.
    I assume you are plugged into ADSL? The modem (router) has Ethernet Lan plugs in the back? So you can plug 2-4 computers/devices into it, therefore giving them all connectivity to each other and the internet?

Homeplugs use your homes power leads to transmit data over...

So all you do is buy a pair of homeplugs for £40-50... Plug one into the wall near your modem/router, and put an ethernet cable from the modem/router into the homeplug. You then put the other homeplug up in your room next to your PC, and connect an ethernet cable from the homeplug into your computer.

What you've basically done is created a super long ethernet lead from your modem/router to your computer.

And welcome to the 21st century!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    -Pic related.

Super Moderator

UK
    Well I object to being forced to either go to the all the trouble of lugging my rig around the house for a one time online activation, or otherwise splash out £40-50 on this "home plug" stuff.

So the internet travels from one plug to another how? Also, our ADSL modem doesn't have an ethernet socket in it, it's a basic one that Windows 7 doesn't recognise (naturally ... bloody Windows 7 ... how hard is it to provide proper backwards compatibility, like, have a mode than runs alongside Win7 called "XP Mode" so it does all the shit you used to do just fine without any ruddy hassle) ... I object to being hassled by all this forced connectivity and upgrading, and I object to having to pay for all the little accoutrements that end up coming along with it.

So I'd have to buy a modem - a wired one - that also works with Windows 7 to future-proof it (and I've got no idea if they even exist, I've not found any such wired ADSL modems online so far), and these homeplugs things ... and all so I can do a one-time activation on a game? That's a piss take.

If Steam is so amazing, why doesn't it provide a workable option for those who don't have their gaming rig online - for the numerous reasons I've laid out multiple times in recent years - how hard is it? Say you have Steam installed on the gaming rig, and on the rig you've got online, and you do some sort of challenge and response code from one to the other that you simply type in that's unique to your system and Steam account? I'm not particularly fond of Steam either.

And I'm in the 21st century, thank you very much. I even got a ruddy Blu-Ray player and HDTV last year, but I object to being bullied and hassled into splashing out cash and wasting my time on having to figure out yet another bloody work around for some stupid, remmo version of "connectivity", that's been cobbled together by people who pay sod-all attention to backwards compatibility, ease-of-use for the consumer, nor the size of their strained wallets. This constant fiddling and farting around that rarely makes anything truly better, it just makes it more complex, more stressful on a system, and more expensive. Norton Antivirus is a prime example of the sort of nonsense I'm rallying against - that sort of blundering forth without any real thought. These people should be making their product as widely accepting of all variations of their potential consumers as possible - so it's this sort of stupid crap, this DRM "one time only online activation" garbage, that gets in the way of that.

So Hellsing The Contrarian Hipster can holster his all-too-predictable Meldrew pic.

England
    My gaming rig has been hooked up to the net for the past 4 years now, never had any viruses or problems relating to the net (barring shite stone age Yorkshire connection at times), I have AVG free edition on for protection & it seems to do its job well. I couldnt be without it really for modding my games, updating drivers etc

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    If Steam is so amazing, why doesn't it provide a workable option for those who don't have their gaming rig online

this is the maddest thing you have ever said. period.

-bear in mind, i totally think you are valid to be pissed about the online activation thing if you cant do it. but steam is like xbox live or psn, downloadable direct to drive games, friends and messaging and online multiplayer. complaining about it needing online is the same as complaning that cars need gas.

a valid complaint though it may be that shit aint logical son.
    Last edited by Danny; 05-May-2011 at 04:29 PM. Reason: sdfdsf

United States

Super Moderator

UK
    It's quite logical.

I wouldn't be using "direct to drive" games, I wouldn't be wanting to update my game constantly if it works just fine, I wouldn't be playing it online - so I don't need the gaming rig to be connected to the internet (I prefer downloadable .exe files for updates that I then install myself) - so therefore there should be an option for those like me, and surely, with all the things that Steam can do, it's not at all hard to have such an option for those out there like me. Not crazy at all - it broadens the scope and capability of the product to include another type of consumer, and the focus should always be about making it an inclusive service/product for every type of consumer of the service/product itself.

These people rarely ask themselves the "what if..." question - "what if they don't have their rig online?" - "what if they don't have wireless in their area?" - "what if they have little time, or don't have the appropriate understanding of the background tech, for this update/change/new OS/whatever?" etc.

Very logical, in fact.

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    haha! That looks fun as hell!

Administrator

England
    ^^ lol
    -Carl Sagan

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Once again, I feel like Nick knows loads about computers but 0.02% about the internet/modems.

Administrator

England
    Well I object to being forced to either go to the all the trouble of lugging my rig around the house for a one time online activation, or otherwise splash out £40-50 on this "home plug" stuff.

So the internet travels from one plug to another how? Also, our ADSL modem doesn't have an ethernet socket in it, it's a basic one that Windows 7 doesn't recognise (naturally ... bloody Windows 7 ... how hard is it to provide proper backwards compatibility, like, have a mode than runs alongside Win7 called "XP Mode" so it does all the shit you used to do just fine without any ruddy hassle) ... I object to being hassled by all this forced connectivity and upgrading, and I object to having to pay for all the little accoutrements that end up coming along with it.

So I'd have to buy a modem - a wired one - that also works with Windows 7 to future-proof it (and I've got no idea if they even exist, I've not found any such wired ADSL modems online so far), and these homeplugs things ... and all so I can do a one-time activation on a game? That's a piss take.

If Steam is so amazing, why doesn't it provide a workable option for those who don't have their gaming rig online - for the numerous reasons I've laid out multiple times in recent years - how hard is it? Say you have Steam installed on the gaming rig, and on the rig you've got online, and you do some sort of challenge and response code from one to the other that you simply type in that's unique to your system and Steam account? I'm not particularly fond of Steam either.

And I'm in the 21st century, thank you very much. I even got a ruddy Blu-Ray player and HDTV last year, but I object to being bullied and hassled into splashing out cash and wasting my time on having to figure out yet another bloody work around for some stupid, remmo version of "connectivity", that's been cobbled together by people who pay sod-all attention to backwards compatibility, ease-of-use for the consumer, nor the size of their strained wallets. This constant fiddling and farting around that rarely makes anything truly better, it just makes it more complex, more stressful on a system, and more expensive. Norton Antivirus is a prime example of the sort of nonsense I'm rallying against - that sort of blundering forth without any real thought. These people should be making their product as widely accepting of all variations of their potential consumers as possible - so it's this sort of stupid crap, this DRM "one time only online activation" garbage, that gets in the way of that.

So Hellsing The Contrarian Hipster can holster his all-too-predictable Meldrew pic.
    So your ADSL modem has no ethernet sockets? Does it just plug into a phone socket and then USB into a PC? Wow! That's v.old style! My modems (routers) as far back as I can remember have plugged into the phone socket (for ADSL) and then had FOUR ethernet sockets in which you can plug any device (eg: PCs, XBox, etc etc).

Homeplugs send data over your mains power cables in your house. So basically use your power cables as an ethernet lead, hence means you can get a network from one side of your house to another, with no additional wiring!

And as for being in the 21st century, you can splurge out on a blu ray player, a HD TV and high spec PC, but throw your toys out the pram about a few tens of pounds to sort our your internet connectivity? Hmmm... Seems somewhat irrational? Any modern PC, with modern apps, expects an internet connection...
    -Carl Sagan