View Poll Results: WHAT MOVIE SHOULD LOU & DEEJ RECORD A LOVE/HATE COMMENTARY FOR?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • LAND of the DEAD (2005)

5 27.78%
  • TREMORS (1990)

7 38.89%
  • BUBBA HO-TEP

1 5.56%
  • SURVIVAL of the DEAD

2 11.11%
  • THE DEVIL's REJECTS

1 5.56%
  • FRIDAY THE 13th 1-4 & 6 (no 5, 7-10)

0 0%
  • HOUSE on HAUNTED HILL (1999 version)

0 0%
  • RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD 1 & 2

1 5.56%
  • A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET (1984)

0 0%
  • ALIENS

1 5.56%
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Deej & lou movie commentary thread - pick the movie

United States
    I either have to download quicktime or download the file. My computer got a virus and it fucked up my media player so I can't listen to it unless it plays on its own on the site.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Shouldn't be QUICKTIME if you're using IE, it is a WMV MP3 file.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    the quicktime link is working for me. Will be watching/listening in the nest few minutes, though. Looking forward to it.

Will be in the chat later to bitch about Gary's bitching.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Gary will be in bed, sleeping....
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Okay. I tried.

When you get to about 30-40 minutes and the basic commentary is about whether the film is "epic" enough, it only tends to repeats itself. Basically you guys are upset that Romero didn't make the "epic" film you were looking for. As fans you were already expecting the biggest of big. Why not? It's Romero's first film in twenty-something years. But from what I heard, you were let down by your own expectations.

I'm having to cut it short tonight....but so far it seems like you guys are bitching because your idea wasn't translated to film.

Expectations can be a bitch. I'll listen to the rest shortly...

Super Moderator

UK
    Will give this a listen later on.

When can we expect the Tremors commentary to be up? That's the one I'm really looking forward to.

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

Just listening to the opening before you guys start the movie.

I'll point out that I have the R1 Unrated Director's Cut - just like you guys. I got it on DVD a mere 2 weeks after we finally got to see it in UK cinemas. So I fortunately avoided R2 getting shafted.

And wtf is with the HD-DVD menu music for Land? Whose idea was that?! Did they think it was a romantic comedy?

Dying

Undisclosed
    I'm looking foward to hearing this, but I think I'll wait till next weekend so I can sit down with some whiskey and 7up and get into a good mood for it.

Super Moderator

UK
    Listened to it earlier. As someone who likes Land it can be a bit off listening to people bitch incessantly about it for the most part. There were a few "I like that bit" moments, which were fascinating for me - after all the bitching since 2005, finally we see what they can like in the movie ... ... albeit there's not an awful lot.

Okay, I get it, Land didn't have the "end of the world zombie" feel you wanted - broken record much? ... Bustin' ya balls on that one...

I agree with you guys on some aspects, like the seeming lack of zombies - although I think part of that was down to the rules governing extras when shooting in Canada - they all had to be hired and official extras, so GAR and Co were disappointed to not be allowed to have fans show up as zeds - and you just know if they'd be allowed to get fans in, there'd have been zombies freakin' everywhere!

Also, didn't Land get scuppered by the tax break situation ... or was it an exchange rate thing? I remember reading that Yawn04 got in before something changed unfavourably and then Land didn't get as good a deal as Yawn04 got.

Some things mentioned feel a bit too nit-picky, or focussed on too harshly for a mere nit-pick though ... so I agree on some aspects of criticism, and disagree on other aspects.

I loved Land when it came out initially, and now I like Land - so my estimation of the flick has dropped a notch or two over time when I've noticed lines of dialogue I don't like, or moments I don't like, or things that irk me a little - but - over-the-piece, I still like Land.

I'm looking forward to the Tremors love-fest commentary ... I think a love-fest commentary will be more entertaining. I'd rather listen to people whoop it up in a party atmosphere where it's like watching a movie with your buddies that you all love. A positive vibe is more enjoyable than a negative one, which makes sense I'm sure you'll agree.

Good start to proceedings, but yeah - really looking forward to the Tremors love commentary.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Listened to it earlier. As someone who likes Land it can be a bit off listening to people bitch incessantly about it for the most part. There were a few "I like that bit" moments, which were fascinating for me - after all the bitching since 2005, finally we see what they can like in the movie ... ... albeit there's not an awful lot.
    Yep, there ain't much. in fact I think i can't even count on one hand what i liked about it. Can't speak for Lou though.

Okay, I get it, Land didn't have the "end of the world zombie" feel you wanted - broken record much? ... Bustin' ya balls on that one...
    Yep this was a repeat quite often because the films title is LAND of the DEAD, not LITTLE TOWN of the DEAD or I WAS A MIDDLE AGED ANGRY ZOMBIE LOOKING TO STOP THE OPPRESSION OF MY FELLOW PEOPLE WHILE I GATHERS A MEASLY ARMY OF 12 AGAINST A CITY WITH THOUSANDS OF THE DEAD.

I agree with you guys on some aspects, like the seeming lack of zombies - although I think part of that was down to the rules governing extras when shooting in Canada - they all had to be hired and official extras, so GAR and Co were disappointed to not be allowed to have fans show up as zeds - and you just know if they'd be allowed to get fans in, there'd have been zombies freakin' everywhere!
    I am sorry but POOR fucking excuse. If indies guys can pull off the amount of zombies they pull off, like Reese and his new flick... Reese is Canadian and from the trailer I have seen and his other work he seems to get zombies. NO PROBLEM!

Making excuses for the production is poor MZ. Lo9ok at what you and I do as PRODUCERS and the things we have to put together because we have no money.. they have $18,000,000 at their disposal and they can't pull off something like getting people to PLAY ZOMBIES???

They are PRODUCERS their main function is too PRODUCE. A real PRODUCER who had faith in this project would have busted his balls to make sure this movie had some ZOMBIES in it.

Also, didn't Land get scuppered by the tax break situation ... or was it an exchange rate thing? I remember reading that Yawn04 got in before something changed unfavourably and then Land didn't get as good a deal as Yawn04 got.
    No, the change wasn't that significant. DAWN 04 had a 20% tax incentive, LAND had 17%, but in that loss of 3% many rules were lifted.

Some things mentioned feel a bit too nit-picky, or focussed on too harshly for a mere nit-pick though ... so I agree on some aspects of criticism, and disagree on other aspects.
    Because those were the biggest problems MZ. Mistakes he didn't make back with the previous trilogy and shouldn't have been making with the new flicks either.

I loved Land when it came out initially, and now I like Land - so my estimation of the flick has dropped a notch or two over time when I've noticed lines of dialogue I don't like, or moments I don't like, or things that irk me a little - but - over-the-piece, I still like Land.

I'm looking forward to the Tremors love-fest commentary ... I think a love-fest commentary will be more entertaining. I'd rather listen to people whoop it up in a party atmosphere where it's like watching a movie with your buddies that you all love. A positive vibe is more enjoyable than a negative one, which makes sense I'm sure you'll agree.

Good start to proceedings, but yeah - really looking forward to the Tremors love commentary.
    I am working on editing the Tremors commentary It will come soon.
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 16-May-2010 at 06:00 PM.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah but wouldn't Land of the Dead be a Unionised shoot? Wasn't that part of the problem - Canadian Extras Guild (or whatever they may be called) kicking up a fuss ... like 'dey tuk ah jerbs!' at the idea of Romero fans from the world over becoming zombies, when unionised Canadian extras would 'lose out' on work as a result. Bullshit I know - why can't they just pay some extras and then the fan extras would just go unpaid (as I'm sure they'd all be fine with!)

Wasn't that the situation? Feckin' Unions ... a real plus side to the indie film scene surely - little, if any, problem with unions.

Sometimes there will be things that'll come along with a production that'll adversely affect the final product which cannot be avoided too. A perfect shoot isn't possible, and it'd be rare for a problem to not somehow adversely affect a movie - how big the effect is an entirely different variable, but it's still a point.

At this rate I'm gonna have to do a "like list" for Yawn04 ... ... good lord...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Just one thing struck me...

Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    I am sorry but POOR fucking excuse. If indies guys can pull off the amount of zombies they pull off, like Reese and his new flick... Reese is Canadian and from the trailer I have seen and his other work he seems to get zombies. NO PROBLEM!
    Okay, so you call that a poor excuse... Yet...

Yep this was a repeat quite often because the films title is LAND of the DEAD, not LITTLE TOWN of the DEAD or I WAS A MIDDLE AGED ANGRY ZOMBIE LOOKING TO STOP THE OPPRESSION OF MY FELLOW PEOPLE WHILE I GATHERS A MEASLY ARMY OF 12 AGAINST A CITY WITH THOUSANDS OF THE DEAD.
    You think THIS is a perfectly valid argument? What... the... fuck?

And as someone who's actually looked over an artists union contract once or twice, I can tell you that you either work outside the system and don't work with any union rules, or you work IN the system and follow ALL the rules. Extras included. You simply just can't "let whoever wants to be in it, be in it" if you've got a deal with the canadian co-producers.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 16-May-2010 at 08:05 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Ned...

I realize you may think what I am saying is contradictory, and it can be construed that way, but I am sorry if during the shoot of the movie your final product comes out like LAND... Change the fucking title. Because that wasn't LAND of the DEAD.

Give me $18,000,000 and I will give you LAND of the DEAD. If the studio won't work with me then fuck'em I will do it on my own.

Fans want and expect a lot from the zombie genre, and they should get it. We spend our hard earned money and support it and shouldn't have to be subjected to mediocrity. Union, no union, studio, no studio... Stand up for what you believe in and to make it possible.

If I can go out and bust my balls for $6,000 and turn in a movie with shit loads of zombies, with $18,000,000 this man should have been able to get something done. I am not trying to say or come off as the better filmmaker even as arrogant as I sound about this topic, but GODDAMN... LAND doesn't even feel like anyone tried. There was no heart in it. There was heart in the first 3, but the newest films seem like they were just phoned in to make a quick buck.

Do what you can with the resources available to you, and $18,000,000 is a lout of resource to pick from... Especially for any competent producer that gives a damn.... that is all I am saying.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    So if the title "Land of the Dead" created a disappointing result for you....what about Day?

"I'm mad because I only see the dead in the day light for about 15 minutes! This should be CAVE of the Dead!"

Dying

Undisclosed
    Yep this was a repeat quite often because the films title is LAND of the DEAD, not LITTLE TOWN of the DEAD or I WAS A MIDDLE AGED ANGRY ZOMBIE LOOKING TO STOP THE OPPRESSION OF MY FELLOW PEOPLE WHILE I GATHERS A MEASLY ARMY OF 12 AGAINST A CITY WITH THOUSANDS OF THE DEAD

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    So if the title "Land of the Dead" created a disappointing result for you....what about Day?

"I'm mad because I only see the dead in the day light for about 15 minutes! This should be CAVE of the Dead!"
    Yeah, exactly my point.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    If I can go out and bust my balls for $6,000 and turn in a movie with shit loads of zombies
    Did you follow union rules?