Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: George Romero who??? Darabont the new KING of zombies

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I agree as well with Panic. those trashing TWD are just trying to hold Romero ona pedestal he doesn't really belong on anymore... hell even Edgar and Simon out shined him with SHAUN
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    ITT:

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    I agree as well with Panic. those trashing TWD are just trying to hold Romero ona pedestal he doesn't really belong on anymore... hell even Edgar and Simon out shined him with SHAUN
    Here we go into black and white territory!?

Who exactly is trashing TWD? I don't think anyone here is?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Canada
    Land was pretty good, yea.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I'm fairly certain that DJ was meaning Romero's latest offerings. Land, Diary, and Survival.
    Pretty much..
    *taps foot and stares at Dj*

"Pretty much..."? that's a bit ambiguous of a statement, isn't it?

C'mon, Dj....

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by panic View Post
    Romero has not made a decent movie since the 1980's. You can nitpick the TWD all you want, but its head-and-shoulders above anything Romero has done in a LONG time. Depending on how the balance of season one goes, it may turn out to be better than anything and everything Romero EVER did.

People that nitpick TWD should go back and watch early Romero with a critical eye. There are continuity errors all over the place. Romero's characters make stupid decisions left and right. Not to mention they are mostly unidimensional stereotypes.

Don't get me wrong I love Romero zombie movies, but trying to argue that Romero is some sort of movie genius is very difficult. He is the creator of the modern zombie meme, nothing more, nothing less.
    I agree with Prof, well said and good to see you posting again!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    So i think the majority of us agree Darabont has upstaged Romero and we can now move on from this topic.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Super Moderator

United States
    So i think the majority of us agree Darabont has upstaged Romero and we can now move on from this topic.
    I'll agree with all the people who consider the above an overly simplistic statement.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I'll agree with all the people who consider the above an overly simplistic statement.
    Simplistic... but TRUE!

Moving on...
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 02-Nov-2010 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Gave the Finger
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Super Moderator

United States
    Simplistic... but TRUE!

Moving on...
    Give Romero his due & proper for blueprinting the whole thing and Kirkman credit for plot, conceptualization and characters, then revise your statement about about Darabont upstaging Romero to specify it's Romero's recent works and you'll have something you can hang your hat on.

By the way, if you need something else to hang a hat on, try this:

I love that thing.

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Why the people feel the need to compare is beyond me. Who cares!

TWD is the absolute perfect storm of story telling. Darabont is an amazing characters director. His movies are almost all great character films and he has a knack for getting incredible performances out of his actors. That mirrors great with the material Kirkman has done since his comics are defined by the human characters and their flaws.

In S1E1, Darabont did what he did best, Krikman did what he did best and thankfully AMC was smart enough to give them the freedom and $$$. The results, a kick-ass episode which leaves little to complain about. It's unseated Dead Set as the best TV zombie to date!

I'd love to know the budget. I hear it's high though.

The additions to the comic so far have been pretty good. I really like what I think is the new dynamic for Lori/Rick/Shane. In the comic, it's more one night stand one the road but I got a distinct affair impression from the first Episode. I think this will ratchet up the tension later on.

Also, the whole scene sequence where Morgan's son get's upset that his dead mom is back.. man, so well done. Everything in this episode was pitch perfect.

I will say that I didn't care for either CG blood shot (the biker girl, or the deputy head shot). I'm sure it's a budget issue, but why use CG was a physical effect will do just fine. And some of the "destroyed" building CG was obvious. But for the most part, the sets and effects where AAA.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Give Romero his due & proper for blueprinting the whole thing and Kirkman credit for plot, conceptualization and characters, then revise your statement about about Darabont upstaging Romero to specify it's Romero's recent works and you'll have something you can hang your hat on.

By the way, if you need something else to hang a hat on, try this:

I love that thing.

I gave Romero his due int he first post... I will leave it at that.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSiN View Post
    I'm sure it's a budget issue, but why use CG was a physical effect will do just fine.
    You nailed it. It's down to time and money. Heard Romero say it and heard Darabont say it. It just takes too long to have everyone standing around while the practical effects guys set up the wound, blood, etc. Then you've got to wait around while they clean it all up and do it all over again. Much easier and cheaper to have someone jerk their head back a few times and then add it in later.

Kirkman says in an interview that there is actually tons of CG work in the pilot. When Rick first rides off on the horse("whoa whoa whoa...") his hat actually flew off in the take they wanted to use. So they had the digital guys remove the real hat, and add another back to Rick's head.
    Last edited by bassman; 02-Nov-2010 at 03:54 PM. Reason: 1

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSiN View Post
    I will say that I didn't care for either CG blood shot (the biker girl, or the deputy head shot). I'm sure it's a budget issue, but why use CG was a physical effect will do just fine. And some of the "destroyed" building CG was obvious. But for the most part, the sets and effects where AAA.
    Hmmm, it's interesting, I'm not a gore connoisseur so I don't have an eye for effects like that, but I really felt like they nailed all the effects. I guess if you know what to look for you catch these things.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    You nailed it. It's down to time and money. Heard Romero say it and heard Darabont say it. It just takes too long to have everyone standing around while the practical effects guys set up the wound, blood, etc. Then you've got to wait around while they clean it all up and do it all over again. Much easier and cheaper to have someone jerk their head back a few times and then add it in later.
    Also actors aren't allowed to wear squibs anymore. It has to be a stuntman.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA