Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Blu Ray and DVD Release

Undisclosed
    [/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Wait....Apparently you don't understand what happened with this series...

If they had taken the normal route and ordered a pilot, we wouldn't have seen a first season until much later. The normal practice is to have a pilot episode for the studio executives to review and if they approve of said pilot, they order a first season. So in the case of TWD, they skipped that process and approved six epiosdes straight off the bat.

We were extremely lucky to get that.....
    I tried to click "Like", panicked when I couldn't find it, then I realized I wasn't on Facebook. *Note to self: Don't post drunk!
    Last edited by Ghoulman; 13-Mar-2011 at 06:33 AM. Reason: wrong quote
    You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghoulman View Post
    [/COLOR]

I tried to click "Like", panicked when I couldn't find it, then I realized I wasn't on Facebook. *Note to self: Don't post drunk!
    Priceless

England
    Hmmm. Whatever happened to the option for black and white for the pilot that was talked about at Comicon? Maybe saving it for the speculated about premium release? And why so long a wait for the UK release?
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Hmmm. Whatever happened to the option for black and white for the pilot that was talked about at Comicon? Maybe saving it for the speculated about premium release? And why so long a wait for the UK release?
    Originaly us Brits were gonna have to wait until June/July - so May is an earlier date than we were originally going to get. However, aye, with these rumours of a premium release of the boxset - with actual extra features, not stuff that we've all seen online (well, aside from the Making Of, which us non-Americans couldn't watch online) - I think I'll wait and see what happens. I don't want to double-bloody-dip, that's for damn sure!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    (well, aside from the Making Of, which us non-Americans couldn't watch online)
    You didn't get to see it? I had put the two-part youtube version up in the "Official trailers/clips" thread. It's been taken down by Starz Entertainment(Anchor Bay) because it's on the dvd release, but it was once available for quite some time.

As for the B&W version that Darabont basically assured us was coming - I'm thinking that's another one of the features for the rumored special edition. Of course we don't have any actual confirmation on this future release, but there's been a lot of talk that makes it seem inevitable.

THXleo....think it's possible to get any word on that?
    Last edited by bassman; 19-Mar-2011 at 02:07 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Hmmm ... maybe I did see the Making Of then, but how long is the making of from the DVD? Might the thing on YouTube, that I saw, have been a different featurette? Who knows ... so maybe I have seen it then ... like all the other online videos they chucked on the package. I'm not against putting that stuff on, but in addition to disc-only features, you know? Like Scott Pilgrim has the video logs from the website during it's production, which is perfectly fine, but it's backed up with new content too.

United States
    the release we have so far does have an "inside episode ___", which briefly describes the story and gives insight from the actors about what their characters' motivations are. they are actually pretty cool, and really do help the viewer get an idea of what's going on inside the survivors' heads.

not sure if they were released on the internet or not.

as for the future re-release of season one with even more extras, i'm not holding my breath, but i'd gladly pick it up if they did. not sure if it was in this thread or another, but the description of the extended scene where shane attempts to take rick from the hospital sounds amazing....hard to believe they wouldn't just put those on the first release.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    the release we have so far does have an "inside episode ___", which briefly describes the story and gives insight from the actors about what their characters' motivations are. they are actually pretty cool, and really do help the viewer get an idea of what's going on inside the survivors' heads.

not sure if they were released on the internet or not .
    I believe those were available, as well. There was an "Inside Vatos/TS-19/etc" released after each episode aired.

I haven't had a chance to see the available dvd features, but looking over the listing on the net it appears they just took the internet videos and flopped them in there with no effort towards anything new.

United States
    no, bassman, these are different, i'm quite sure. i recall those videos. these are new, perhaps maybe a minute or two longer. none of them are any longer than ten minutes, i've not bothered chekcing, but i'd say they each are around 5-6 mins...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Its hard to tell now that the distribution company has removed all the AMC/Youtube videos, but from what I remember the "Inside Episode:" videos were roughly 5 minutes a pop.

Either way I still feel we were robbed of quality features. AMC's biggest show to date got the worst release...

United States
    Yeah, I'm kind of wondering about another release with more stuff, myself. I saw the dvd at Wal Mart for $20 the other day. My dvr went out and I've only managed to get 4-6 back on the new one. Getting antsy here...
    But I'd be pissed if I got it and they had a better one out later. Planning on holding out in hopes of remembering to get 1-3 on dvr semi soon and getting more word on whether something better is around the corner. If the dvd goes cheaper, though, I may have to snag it anyway.
    This wait for a new season is too long. Geez.

United States
    So far it's great! So far as episode three that is. And I found episode three to be very powerful, probably due to the reunion and the tension that was about to burst from what you knew, and what you thought you knew. And again as before, the reason for me not consuming all six in one sitting is that I'm taking my time because of the slimness of the offering. But you know what?
    I found already that repeat viewings are as fun as the first. I think I must have watched Guts 4 times already. Too many things were getting in the way during my first sit down with episode 2, like audio issues, and girlfriend distractions. Honestly I'll bet the two were working together against me the whole time.
    I did however manage to seclude myself when I had some free time, and soaked up Guts accordingly.
    "You stick your head in the sun, they're gonna come up behind you and bite off your ass."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by jded View Post
    I did however manage to seclude myself when I had some free time, and soaked up Guts accordingly.
    I'm glad you could soak up some guts!

Well, I got the Blu Ray. I figure I'd go ahead and get it, free up the DVR space. Plus, if a new one comes out, I'll just go over to MovieStop and trade the old one in for the new one

Undisclosed
    I ended up paying $22 for the blu ray and it was the best $22 I've spent in a long time. I watched the entire series and the special features in one sitting. It was worth every red cent. Some of the high def scenes are really beautiful but there are also alot of "grainy" scenes, but that's the way it was filmed. I just can't get enough of this show. October is way too far away.

Super Moderator

UK
    Info about the UK release:
    http://homecinema.thedigitalfix.co.u...uk-in-may.html

Also of note - Sainsbury's are selling the Blu-Ray for the same price as the DVD version, so nevermind £26, it'll be £18 on their site. Just a tip for anyone that's interested. I must say it's mighty tempting ... but I just have my suspicions about a double-dip situation occurring with the show in the next few months prior to the launch of season two, you know?