• Escape from New York

24 88.89%
  • Escape from L.A.

3 11.11%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Escape from NY vs. Escape from LA

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    But you can't really say what people will or won't think about a movie in 20 years time, there was no doubt many people who thought 20 years ago that EFNY would just sink without a trace or just be some kinda little film in a quite period or something...
    I saw EFNY in a packed house a couple of times in it's original release. While not a blockbuster I think some of you fellas may not be aware that was widely seen at the time. Every kid I knew at the time saw it, and loved it. It became a cult thing afterwards, with midnight showings.
    Like DOTD, it was very popular in release and had a life of its own in Midnight shows and grindhouses.

Carpenter was a name that pulled a lot of asses into seats at the time, being very popular becasue of Halloween etc.
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Super Moderator

UK
    Mmm I guess, but the point I was more trying to make was, what did people think at the time - was EFNY just a cool movie at the time, or a cool movie for all of time?

I should really try and better my clarification sometimes...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Mmm I guess, but the point I was more trying to make was, what did people think at the time - was EFNY just a cool movie at the time, or a cool movie for all of time?

I should really try and better my clarification sometimes...
    Thats hard to say. But i can say it was extremely popular. Exploitation movies got more wide release than they do now.
    EFNY captured a lot of imaginations and tapped into something people were feeling. Not like Star Wars or a block buster. But I think it's staying power shows its value.
    Ask any guy about EFNY whose my age and they all know.
    Thats the best I could do, sorry

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post
    I saw EFNY in a packed house a couple of times in it's original release. While not a blockbuster I think some of you fellas may not be aware that was widely seen at the time. Every kid I knew at the time saw it, and loved it. It became a cult thing afterwards, with midnight showings.

Like DOTD, it was very popular in release and had a life of its own in Midnight shows and grindhouses.
    Totally know what you mean. Even though EFNY didn't affect me the same way Dawn did, I totally knew that it was a cinematic masterpiece way back in 82-83. Me and my buddies used to re-enact EFNY in the school playground at lunchtime and we even encouraged some black kid from another class to play the Duke.

Administrator

England
    Right! We got two pansies now! Come on, own up
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Also don't forget that EFNY was one of the very first Cyberpunk films. So, if all else fails, it'll always be remembered for that. Grindhouse will not be remembered for being the first... of anything.

Super Moderator

UK
    Two of 'em?!

Right, where's that billy club at?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Also don't forget that EFNY was one of the very first Cyberpunk films. So, if all else fails, it'll always be remembered for that. Grindhouse will not be remembered for being the first... of anything.
    grindhouse
    Movie within a movie has been done
    Over the top exploitation. C'mon!
    It's just a homage for the kids.
    Its pretty much Driller Killer and combat Shock in tone and look. At least so far. Except for all the tough girl stuff. A Sibyl Danning movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Right! We got two pansies now! Come on, own up
    PANSY!?!?!
    thats just not cricket
    Last edited by coma; 15-Mar-2007 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

capncnut
    Seriously, I think they are doing it for a laugh. Maybe if you delete the two votes, it might smoke the pansies out of their holes.
    Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post
    Its pretty much Driller Killer and combat Shock in tone and look.
    Great movie, Abel's commentary is awesome.