Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: George Romero who??? Darabont the new KING of zombies

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    *taps foot and stares at Dj*

"Pretty much..."? that's a bit ambiguous of a statement, isn't it?

C'mon, Dj....
    *taps foot impatiently*

I see you glanced right over my stick-poking..

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by panic View Post
    People that nitpick TWD should go back and watch early Romero with a critical eye. There are continuity errors all over the place. Romero's characters make stupid decisions left and right.
    Like rushing into a city of the dead alone and on horseback?

The people on the radio in the tank were right to call him a dumbass.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

United States
    *taps foot impatiently*

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post

It was pretty silly, but at the same time he thought that the military had control of Atlanta. He really had no warning of it being overrun with the dead. And I'm sure he thought the horse would be quick enough to high tail it out of there if necessary. But then of course he gets cornered...

Super Moderator

United States

Dunno, he was only out of a coma for a few days, only had his wife and child in mind, had slept through the worst--hence most informative portion of the 'rising'--hadn't seen a massively excited herd yet (scrubs out front of the house early on don't count) and thought there might be a military and CDC holdout.

Yeah, I know I say I wouldn't go to a place like that all the time on these boards, but if it really happened and all the factors weighed in above, I think that's a lot more damned reasonable than...."Muldoooooooooon!"

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    *taps foot impatiently*

Awwww, do you feel left out cuz I didn't poke you back?
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    It was pretty silly, but at the same time he thought that the military had control of Atlanta. He really had no warning of it being overrun with the dead. And I'm sure he thought the horse would be quick enough to high tail it out of there if necessary. But then of course he gets cornered...

No warning of being overrun perhaps. But as John said it was definitely a dead place. That much was apparent upon entry and he was way too lax.

I bet he won't make that mistake again though.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Dunno, he was only out of a coma for a few days, only had his wife and child in mind, had slept through the worst--hence most informative portion of the 'rising'--hadn't seen a massively excited herd yet (scrubs out front of the house early on don't count) and thought there might be a military and CDC holdout.

Yeah, I know I say I wouldn't go to a place like that all the time on these boards, but if it really happened and all the factors weighed in above, I think that's a lot more damned reasonable than...."Muldoooooooooon!"
    That muldoon line cracks me up every time.

Oh gAr.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

United States
    No warning of being overrun perhaps. But as John said it was definitely a dead place. That much was apparent upon entry and he was way too lax.

That muldoon line cracks me up every time.
    I know, I think that would make an awesome Tshirt. BillyRay is the one who likes to throw it out a lot, iirc and I always want to laugh when I see it.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Perhaps he was thinking the military was holed up in one small region? I doubt they would have the whole city secured like Pittsburgh in Land. They could have taken over the Georgia Dome(if youire familiar with the area)? It's close to 85(the interstate he came in on) and actually would have been an interesting parallel to New Orleans....

It was kinda silly how calm he was about it, but it's not that big of a stretch to think I would go into the city looking for my family. I probably would have stuck close to fire escapes so I could climb up if I had to, but I definitely would have tried...

United States
    can somebody fill me in on the muldoon bit? i had to shut survival off and guess i didn't hang around enough for this gem of dialogue....

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    can somebody fill me in on the muldoon bit? i had to shut survival off and guess i didn't hang around enough for this gem of dialogue....
    Depends on who is saying it and how it's said.

For a lot of people I would say it's just a sort of all-in-one condemnation of certain choices GAR has made with his current projects, but it literally refers to the over (emotive) refrain of the O'Flynn patriarch when referencing his one-dimensional overly simplified enemy Muldoon (of clan Muldoon).

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post

Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG
    Awwww, do you feel left out cuz I didn't poke you back?
    No, I feel like you left something out.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    O'Flynn keeps yelling it about every 5 minutes.

MULDOOOOOOOON!!!!!

Then he does a jig, eats a potato and some Lucky Charms, and thinks of more ways to be a parody of an irishman.
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRay View Post
    Then he does a jig, eats a potato and some Lucky Charms, and thinks of more ways to be a parody of an irishman.
    ROLMMFAO!

Post of the day and defo sig worthy.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    So i think the majority of us agree Darabont has upstaged Romero and we can now move on from this topic.
    I disagree with this. TWD has one episode under its belt. All it has done is establish a situation, a few characters, and a few plot twists. It has a lot left in front of it. And right now the fans are blinded by anticipation.

Comparing TWD with a GAR movie is difficult. As others have pointed out, GAR has to fit setting, character development, plot development and conclusion into a 90-100 minute format. TWD was able to spend a solid half that amount of time just establishing the setting and a couple characters.

Want a more appropriate comparison? Compare the TWD first episode with the first 10 minutes of Land. Land didn't suffer its criticisms for how it opened. It suffered for how it developed and concluded. We don't know how TWD will sustain and conclude. It may get preachy (as hellsing suggests), the plot may get weird, the ending may be trash. If I just compare the TWD opening to the Land opening I'm still of the opinion that GAR's was better.

Don't get me wrong... TWD was good. It was a strong start. It left me believing that it can deliver a solid zombie storyline. But it's not flawless by any measure!!

Here's my breakdown.

The good:
    - No silliness. The story had a very real, practical, tangible feel to it. It took the subject matter very seriously.

- Good character identification. The characters were well conceived and well acted. The direction conveyed a solid sense of who these people are and convinced us to care about them.

- Awesome depiction of the environment. The wrecked hospital, the bodies about, the town, the evidence of military presence... just everything. Every little detail of the world added to our understanding, and kept the intrigue alive.

- The suspense was palpable. We know at some level what's coming, but watching it unfold through his eyes as it unfolds is very chilling.

Here is the bad:
    - 28 Days Later opening? Not good. I didn't buy it in 28 Days and I didn't buy it here. No one survives unconscious for a month as the world dies around them, then magically wakes up fine.

- The pace was too slow. Too many long introspective moments. Too many long drawn out scenes of incidental stuff. I got the feeling they were looking to stretch the events out over as long a time period as possible. At some point that is going to shift from building anticipation to building fan frustration. If weeks drag by and the plot barely budges they'll have a mess.

- The relative sparsity of zombies (I've not read the comics, so I don't know how it unfolds) is a ticking timebomb. With the long drawn out scenes of exploration both out in the rural areas and in the fringes of Atlanta they (perhaps unintentionally) sold me that survivability outside the city is relatively easy. If they want to now sell me a world that's tough to survive... well, they've created an uphill battle for themselves.

- Let's face it... the dude got cornered in a wide open set of streets while on a horse. That's pretty f'in lame. He'd been riding around the streets for a long time with only seeing a few here and there. Then, boom, he's surrounded. They used tricky tight camera angles and close ups to make it look like he had no place to run, but I'm not buying it. We just got done with sweeping views of open streets. All he had to do was retreat along his entry path a few hundred yards and he woulda been fine.

So, all in all, a good start. I'll be glued to my set. I'll be very surprised if it maintains its current level of awesomeness.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.