Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Metal thread

Kazakhstan
    Bands I am liking at the moment

Electric Wizard

(Doom/Doom/Doom/Drugs)

Electric Wizard have been hailed by many as the heaviest band ever. However, unlike most metal bands, instead of getting faster, they went slower & tuned lower. Until it actually sounds like you're drowning in tar or something.

Mainman Jus is noted for his prodigious cannabis intake & in depth knowledge of horror films.

Here's an example from "Dopethrone" (2000) A UK underground (ish) classic, frequently hailed as their best. It sounds like Black Sabbath were trapped in a room together for a year, fed drugs & deprived of sleep. IT'S AMAZING

Play it as loud as you can

Their newest album is a lot more accessible, but still great, old stuff is better in some ways and new stuff is better in others, not many bands are like this

Here's the same song live.
    Sound quality is terrible, but this is when I saw them live a month ago, it gives you idea of how shit yer pants good they are live, just crushingly loud & low, people pass out & throw up at wizard shows, they play all guitars through big cheap bass amps NSFW!

Ted Maul

(Death Metal/Jungle)

I know what you're thinking, you're thinking when oh when is somebody going to combine jungle music with death metal, well the wait is over.

I like Slipknot, but they sound like Slipknot with serious Death Metal balls. They really pull it off live as well

Dissection/Cardinal Sin

(Blackened Death Metal/Early Melodic Death Metal?)

OK now Dissection rule, its very brutal, but also extremely accessible & melodic blackish death metal. It's bloody great stuff, they were in with all the early 90s norway gang too so extra tr00 points if you're into that sort of thing

If you like anything metal upwards of metallica, give this a go, it's hard on the ears in places but stick with it, it's really good

But! The guitarist, who wrote a fair chunk of the album, left the band, did an ep & disappeared (as far as I know)

the EP is VERY hard to get hold of, but some kind soul has made a myspace with the whole thing on it, it's pretty good stuff, if you like the first dissection album you will almost certainly like this

http://www.myspace.com/cardinalsinswe
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Liam, I've got many friends into Electric Wizard and stuff like that... but as much as I listen to it, I just can't get into doom/stoner stuff. Not even really a big fan of old Sabbath (I prefer Dio Sabbath... go ahead and crucify me). I guess Candlemass is probably the only doom band I actually like and will listen to on my own. Not to say I knock the genre, though; I do appreciate their musicianship and whatnot.

Lately I've been listening to:

Nunslaughter - Aquaintances of mine. Mike, they're from your neck of the woods. I highly recommend them! Liam, I know you'll LOVE this tune.

Abscess - Great death metal with an extremely high influence of punk. (For some reason the only video of my favorite song by them is put over CGI footage of some GI Joe cartoon I've never heard of.)

SPAZZ - I know they're not technically metal... they're powerviolence. But they have some songs that definitely delv deep into black, or death, or even sometimes doom.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    i enjoyed a couple of candlemass' records. epicus doomicus metallicus, nightfall and ancient dreams aren't too bad. nightfall is probably my fav of the three.

the only other doom/stoner metal bands i ever really listened to were st. vitus and trouble. to be honest, i never really paid that much attention to either of them, though saint vitus does have some records that are damn good if you are in the right mood.

mike- i agree with you about maiden and power metal, though maybe for different reasons. to me maiden, at least the old stuff, is NWOBHM. they came along with the rest of those bands and even though their sound is a bit different than most of them, i'd still say they go in that category.

the band Spazz reminds me a lot of early DRI, like "dirty rotten LP", "dealing with it" era DRI. well, at least the 30 second clip you posted reminds me of old DRI.
    Last edited by Mike70; 23-Jan-2009 at 01:58 AM.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff
    Kraken, I don't know if this is what you were doing, but Maiden isn't really lumped into the power metal category.
    Yeah, sorry, I know I didn't make it very clear - I was trying to show that I liked trad metal (which was referenced earlier in my post) too, but it didn't quite come out like that. I'd say Maiden is NWOBHM, which IMO is just an early-80s offshoot of traditional metal.

Electric Wizard are good fun - they remind me a lot of Hawkwind. My old boss used to be in Hawkwind! If you like these bands, you should listen to some Litmus:

Oh, and with regards power metal... is this the most epic song ever performed?:

Kazakhstan
    Good music in here!

Maiden are NWOBHM, or at least they started out that way & just expanded the sound. Venom pwn Maiden's new albums though

However, Venom never bloody tour, and I've heard they're crap live, whereas seeing Maiden live is like the end of close encounters or something
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    Venom pwn Maiden's new albums though

However, Venom never bloody tour, and I've heard they're crap live, whereas seeing Maiden live is like the end of close encounters or something
    holy shit! there's a name i haven't heard in ages. way back in the day i used to dig venom. their early records, "black metal", "at war with satan" (which believe it or not actually fucking charted in the UK) and "welcome to hell" were cool as fuck or at least i thought so in 1986. i haven't listened to them in ages and to be honest i don't know if i'd still like them. i saw them live way back in like 85 or 86 and nothing about the show really sticks out in my mind as being good or bad. then again, i saw so many bands back then that it is hard to pick out any one particular show. i'll have to dig through my old ticket stub collection and see if i can find the one to the venom show.

i read somewhere that their first demo was recorded for £50.

Scotland
    Venom pwn Maiden's new albums though
    I dunno, Venom are good and everything, but unlike most metal fans I've never been able to get properly into thrash. I like songs here and there, but I think generally the whole thrash style of riffing lacks the fluidity that attracts me so much to power, trad and even black metal.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    way back in the day i used to dig venom. their early records, "black metal", "at war with satan" (which believe it or not actually fucking charted in the UK) and "welcome to hell" were cool as fuck or at least i thought so in 1986. i haven't listened to them in ages and to be honest i don't know if i'd still like them.
    Funnily enough I dug out At War With Satan not too long long ago but put it back in the pile thinking 'f**k that'. I may have to give it blast sometime now that you've just mentioned it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Funnily enough I dug out At War With Satan not too long long ago but put it back in the pile thinking 'f**k that'. I may have to give it blast sometime now that you've just mentioned it.
    i think i might head over to youtube in a bit and look up some old venom tunes. i really don't think i've any of their stuff on CD anymore. i am sure if i dug through one of my closets i'd probably find some old cassette tapes with venom on them.

having talked about doom/stoner metal a bit earlier made me look up some candlemass tunes. i was surprised to find nightfall up in its entirety on youtube. i hadn't heard anything from that record in years upon years. i think "well of souls" is still a pretty damn cool tune. hell, now that i've listened to nightfall in its entirety for the first time in probably 10 or 15 years, i think the whole record kicks ass. i might just have to get my hands on a copy of it. they were a damn good show back then too.

this is kinda cool. it reminds me a lot of saint vitus.

ah dammit liam, you are sending me off a doom metal kick.
    Last edited by Mike70; 23-Jan-2009 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Kazakhstan
    Wino has a new thing out soon

Anyway

DOOM ATTACK

Acid Bath PWN (nola doom pwns) good atmospheric melodic stuff

Down isn't really doom but they kick ass

Crowbar rules, heavy going stuff but hits the spot for me

And finally, what do you get when you worship at the altar of DOOOOM, whilst inside the Cathedral of PROG?

you get BORIS

This is a very uplifting yet slightly sad sounding song, with big heavy bits that crash in and out.
    Last edited by _liam_; 23-Jan-2009 at 09:32 AM.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Scotland
    Great stuff there _liam_... I'm loving Boris.

What this thread needs now though is some motherlovin' WINTERSUN!!

Beautiful Death:

Starchild:

I'll be seeing them at Bloodstock this year, I'm so excited!
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 23-Jan-2009 at 10:03 AM.

capncnut
    Absolute f**kin' tune! I posted this one in another thread a little while ago, Nola is a brutal album and 'Bury Me In Smoke' is my favourite song from it.

Akercocke, someone pass this dude a lozenge.

Always loved a bit of Cathedral, slow going but epic as fook.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    back to electric wizard -

i got copies of "dopethrone" and "witchcult today" last night and listened to both in their entirety while playing some games. i have to say, i am rather smitten by both. i haven't really latched onto any particular tune yet and it might be the case that electric wizard becomes one of those bands that i like to have on in the background (i went to an open school and consequently abhor silence) while i am doing something else but we'll see, we'll see.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    I dunno, Venom are good and everything, but unlike most metal fans I've never been able to get properly into thrash. I like songs here and there, but I think generally the whole thrash style of riffing lacks the fluidity that attracts me so much to power, trad and even black metal.
    But Venom helped creat the black metal wheel! I take it you're a fan of the newer black metal bands?

However, Venom never bloody tour, and I've heard they're crap live
    I saw Venom like 2 or 3 years ago. The show was like $36 and I couldn't afford it so I just sat in the alleyway behind the club and got drunk, begging bands to get me in. I sat out there for hours with no success. Then, just before Early Man hit the stage, their singer came out and told me I was on their guestlist! Anyway, Venom was pretty awesome to me. Although it was just Cronos and two backing dudes, they killed it. There was cool pyrotechnics and a HUGE pentagram backdrop... lots of fog, and tons of red strobe lights. They were even dressed slightly MORE overthetop than this:

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    I saw Venom like 2 or 3 years ago. The show was like $36 and I couldn't afford it so I just sat in the alleyway behind the club and got drunk
    $36! dear god how things have changed. i went through my ticket stub collection (i've kept just about every one) and thought i'd share this with you guys:

king diamond and megadeth at bogart's in cincinnati for $3.50.