Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Hi New Member Redge777

jersey is home, but i live in a truck that moves state to state
    United States

Wow

Redge...You write beautifully....let me just start by saying welcome to hpotd....

i understand alot of what you said but i think your reading to much into the zombie movies some of what you said just seems like your over symbolizing...(forgive me for not quoting still working out how to do that on this forum..use to the old one)but yet i can see how some of it relates...

i just got done reading a series from Scott Westerfeld..Uglies, Pretties, Specials and Extras...and while reading what you wrote that series popped in my head the whole time. (granted these books are characterize as teen readers-young adults..) and don't really deal with what GAR but came off as a little zombish to me but it was induced by the government and electronics...
    meaning the government makes you the way they think you should be and control your thoughts...basically keeping you in a bubble

sorry if i sound weird i talk better than i write i have a hard time trying to express how i feel...if you haven't heard of the books or read them i look like i'm going off track...but trust me i don't think i am....
    "crippled but free...was blind all the time...i was learning to see" grateful dead

"when we blindly adopt religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow..." Anais Nin

United States
    *sigh* it was a Conan quote
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo View Post
    sorry, I am currently watching a repetitive flash movie a women launching a banana out of her ass into anouther girls mouth, played too the tune of hollaback girl by Gwen Stefani.
    That is the first thing I've read in this thread that I find interesting.

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by vissionaerie View Post
    i understand alot of what you said but i think your reading to much into the zombie movies some of what you said just seems like your over symbolizing...

i just got done reading a series from Scott Westerfeld..Uglies, Pretties, Specials and Extras...and while reading what you wrote that series popped in my head the whole time. (granted these books are characterize as teen readers-young adults..) and don't really deal with what GAR but came off as a little zombish to me but it was induced by the government and electronics...
    meaning the government makes you the way they think you should be and control your thoughts...basically keeping you in a bubble
    I definitely over symbolize. It is good to recognize that. An earlier poster commented on sophistry. You take lets say 3 movies, each with melded views of writers editors and actors. nudge a little here, nudge a little there, until they line up to fit a symbolism. This allows for the over symbolism and bad translations. However, I think the zombies as a subset of society idea is possible.

I have not read the book, but I don't doubt the themes match. This stuff is everywhere. An interesting book that follows elite themes is the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. In that series the elites are the wizards. They even speak that common people must be used, Wizards first rule is, "people are stupid." It is full of the elite angles. Even covers economics and co-opting the common troops and forces of others. It is a great series, even though I do not prescribe to the idea some are better then others.

To often stories can feed a persons self desire to build there own ego and claim superiority, that leads to defence of selfishness more often then just taking a role to help others. However to the authors credit, he gives his main character the desire to do good, not self serve, even to the point of standing against some older orders.

Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    *sigh* it was a Conan quote

Ah Conan, I will quote a little to

Conan: Almost 20 years of pitiless combat! No rest, no sleep like other men. And yet the spring wind blows, Subotai. Have you ever felt such a wind?
    Subotai: They blow where I live too. In the north of every man's heart.
    Conan: It's never too late, Subotai.
    Subotai: No. It would only lead me back here another day. In even worse company.
    Conan: For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
    Last edited by Redge777; 20-Dec-2007 at 03:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Google ("Silent Weapons for Quiet Wars" "Must Read Article") both terms. It is a red pill about the 53-54 revolution, if you read the entire thread and all the links.

United States

Symbolically speaking, do you believe there is deeper meaning behind the fact that the Black guy in Dawn78 is named Peter?

-stray-

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by strayrider View Post

Symbolically speaking, do you believe there is deeper meaning behind the fact that the Black guy in Dawn78 is named Peter?

-stray-
    I doubt it has anything to do with peter rabbit. That said.

Names mean a heck of alot in most stories, an author can pick any name. It is a free noun. And in books it is often the first thing a reader sees and forms their initial impression. So from that view, the name always means something.

Roger, is a more militant or almost authoritative name. Roger actually meaning yes in the parlance of his former occupation. While Peter is a biblical name. His last name is Washington, also having many flavors to its tone. It means something, but maybe not alot. As far as race, incrementalist were race friendly during that era.

I would honestly give far more value to Francine's name. Since France matches the faction of the elite she would symbolize with her character.

On a side note, I found this Romero note that further defines the zombies as common people shuffling around as just consumers

With this idea planted in his head, the tour continued, with Romero making note of the blank, expressionless faces of the mall's shoppers as they shuffled throughout the indoor shopping center. Romero made the connection between the mall's patrons and his own zombies almost immediately, likening the droning consumers — with their insatiable and driving desire for materialistic gratification — with that of his own cannibalistic creations and their driving need for consuming human flesh, each motivated by a singular fulfilling need.

eventually deciding that the progress of his zombie apocalypse had progressed too far; the zombies were already beginning to be trained to function as slaves and were already being fed

I can only see these two wiki entries as defending the point from the beginning that the zombies are common people, while the living people are different factions of the elite.

Note that consumerism is a direct result of programming through marketing "Brave New World" style.
    Google ("Silent Weapons for Quiet Wars" "Must Read Article") both terms. It is a red pill about the 53-54 revolution, if you read the entire thread and all the links.

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by kortick View Post
    wow how could I have missed out on all this?

this is too good to be true.
    you could well be employing the
    very word in my signature.
    The word in your signature was sophistry. You give it a quick once over in your description. I wanted to offer an older use of the word. Although out of context, it shows how despised sophistry is.

http://www.earlyjewishwritings.com/t...lo/book13.html
    but that which is nearest to the mind is uttered speech, inserting false opinions among reasonable and natural plausibilities and probabilities, to the destruction of that best of all possessions, truth.

XVII. (71) Why, then, are we not also to repel this being, too, who is a sophist and a polluted person, condemning him to the death which is suited to him, namely, silence (for silence is the death of speech), in order that the mind may be no longer led away by its sophisms

And
    http://www.earlyjewishwritings.com/t...lo/book33.html
    Now when I speak of men not being pure, I mean those who have either been utterly destitute of education, or else who have tasted of it obliquely, and not in a straight-forward manner, changing the stamp of the beauty of wisdom so as to give an impression of the unsightliness of sophistry. (5) These men, not being able to discern that light which is appreciable only by the intellect, by reason of the weakness of the eyes of their soul, which are by nature easily dazzled by too much brightness,

This reading got me to think of your posting claiming my analogy was sophistry and brought me back to respond. For it changed the way I view your comment from disagreement to, if you were right, a possible accusation of dishonesty or deception. Now if it was lack of education, it would only be education in the symbology of certain orders, that claim rightousness. And in not correcting what you may see as wrong, I would see as ugly.

Either way, your comment of sophistry, if your meaning is similiar to its older usage, becomes a grave insult within this context, and I ask that you clarify your meaning.

Although there are many interpretations of different zombie films, and I do not contend them all to be correct, the basic concept of two tiers of beings, and each having a different set of values, abilities and roles is solid. Furthermore you can easily see many people that have used the zombie motif in pop films and other items to show one group is supposedly good, the other evil, and the attributes of those groups match the way some groups look at different subsets of society.

I find this as a perfect example, if your use of sophistry was meant to be a grave slight to me, but was left to not be explained. Then the hidden meaning of the word, its full depth, becomes like the hidden symbol of the zombie, a way to propagate a communication with some but not others. This is of coarse only if you had its deeper meaning in mind, and decided without intelectual banter to insult or catagorize me, on the bases of a meaning not known to both parties. If this be the case, would your use of the symbol prove you have any greater value? Or just a different set of lingo, and symbolism to claim superiority from?
    Last edited by Redge777; 03-Mar-2008 at 12:59 PM.

United Kingdom
    My brain has imploded.

Undisclosed
    Odd this thread has reared its ugly head again cause I was just thinking that GaR thinks of his dead as representing those born too stupid to do anything but harm and consume others. They can't help themselves but what can you do about it. You can't kill them all, though that would be nice.

They're just looking for a place of their own. weepweep

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    well it rears its ugly head because seemingly everytime redge visits here it is to post to this thread.

i only popped in here to see what the latest inane banter would be about and i see that nothing whatsoever has changed.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the Dead discussion forum. . . .
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the Dead discussion forum. . . .
    how on all of the internet could there be only one... (a little jaws II taglinage)
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Dead

Undisclosed
    AH! Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    Another corrolation to 'the dead' being the common people not part of the elite:

There is an add for a movie that shows Tom Cruise at a computer saying he can fly. We earlier discussed flying as those that speak infront of people, those who try to make a point to society.

This is what he did when he brought up his Ritalin issue with Matt Lauder. He was flying, but quickly the Mainstream media started hammering him on everything, calling him nuts and crazy for things they had earlier said was calm or cute. Couch jumping, and reaction to squirt gun.

Tom being dead, is saying he has joined the zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by triste realtà View Post

They're just looking for a place of their own. weepweep
    I saw a zombie film, rather new, it had the hero letting the Dead walk away at the end, the hero said the line you posted. This again matches the metaphor for the thread.

But the dead are not just looking for a place of their own. They are claiming the current ground occupied by the self proclaimed alive.
    Last edited by Redge777; 23-Mar-2008 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Canada
    I found that gif btw.