Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: "Duke Nukem Forever" not dead?

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah it's a pretty old school ADSL modem as you described, provided by our ISP ... might have to investigate if they have any other, more up-to-date, options available.

It's this drip-drip-drip of spending I cannot stand. This thing of "to do that you'll need this, and this, and quite possibly this, and that'll cost you..." - just because we can't use wireless in our area, essentially. They should do a more careful job of opening up their services to all possibilities and configurations of hardware that their consumers own.

The home plug thing though, just as an idea in itself, sounds like a good idea though. Like a mix between wireless and wired ... I do prefer my data to travel through a wire, not be farting around in the air where some bugger could get at it.

Mike - it's the connecting to the internet that's always baffled me. Not entirely sure why, but that's the situation. However when it comes to Mobile Phones, I've really got very little idea - I know how to operate them just fine, and txt frequently, but contract phones can fuck right off, and as for the handsets themselves, I can't be doing with this culture of touchscreens (particularly iPhones) with everybody who owns one glued to the screen like a iSlave constantly - my phone has proper buttons, and it's several years old, which is a plus because no fucker will want to steal it. Then again, I'm not a big fan of phones anyway ... I never like talking on them.

I don't like being forced in directions by technology, particularly when all you end up doing is spending more money you don't really have on something that won't really improve anything, and I dislike - for example - missing out on Day One free DLC on a game just because I don't have an Xbox HDD and the appropriate internet connection for XBL, when it should just be on the fucking disc in the first place. Indeed DLC is a whole issue unto itself - paying for a handful of code that should have been on the disc in the first place? Fuck that.

Another example that's okay though - my Blu-Ray player - you can update it via an ethernet connection, but you can also download an .exe from their website, bung it on a flash drive (I do love flash drives), plug the flash drive into the player, and install the update that way. Now that is providing options for the various situations of your consumers.

So circling back to bloody Steam and DNF on the PC - they should have an option for people like me to still do this stupid online registration (even though I'm purely a Single Player kinda guy) via a separate computer that is connected to the internet, by employing some sort of challenge and response code that is personal to your computers and your account.

Furthermore - DX10 and DX11 - is Windows XP actually incapable of running those, or is it deliberately 'locked off' to XP users by games companies, to try and force you into getting Vista, or nowadays, Windows 7? If that's the case, that is also a ruddy piss-take!

Administrator

England
    I'm sure your prodiver would offer an ADSL router these days... As I said, for many many years, that's all I've received from providers... If you can get that, then just a pair of (200mbps) homeplugs should mean you can get a connection elsewhere in the house...

ps: Homeplugs are not guarenteed to work. If you have very old wiring, or lots of circuit breakers etc then this can upset them. That said, I've not met anyone for whom they did not work!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Do homeplugs have to go directly into the wall, or can they be plugged into extension units?

Might investigate what my ISP does for replacement ADSL modems, just out of interest at least. This one works just fine, but it is quite old school nowadays.

England
    As for DX10 & 11, they wont work on XP dude, Vista/windows 7 only unless theres a hack, plus your graphics card needs to be DX11 capable. I'm debating upgrading my MoBo, processor & OS at the moment but just dont know if I can justify spending the cash to do it.......

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Do homeplugs have to go directly into the wall, or can they be plugged into extension units?

Might investigate what my ISP does for replacement ADSL modems, just out of interest at least. This one works just fine, but it is quite old school nowadays.
    I've tried them in extension plugs, and they work. If there's surge protectors in them that might cause a problem!?

I believe some homeplugs have pass through? So you don't in effect lose a wall socket?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    As for DX10 & 11, they wont work on XP dude, Vista/windows 7 only unless theres a hack, plus your graphics card needs to be DX11 capable. I'm debating upgrading my MoBo, processor & OS at the moment but just dont know if I can justify spending the cash to do it.......
    So is that because of something XP doesn't have that Vista and 7 do have, or is it just some conspiratorial fix to force people to 'upgrade' their OS? My card is definitely capable of all the latest DX stuff, but I regularly use pieces of software that don't work on Vista or 7, hence sticking with XP.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    So is that because of something XP doesn't have that Vista and 7 do have, or is it just some conspiratorial fix to force people to 'upgrade' their OS? My card is definitely capable of all the latest DX stuff, but I regularly use pieces of software that don't work on Vista or 7, hence sticking with XP.
    It's M$ trying to force you to upgrade I believe. I think some hackers have managed to get versions of DX running on XP that were not supported, clearly showing it could be done...
    -Carl Sagan

England
    To be honest there is very few games actually using DX11 at the moment, but I expect over the next 12 - 18 months it will start cropping up a lot more till it eventually becomes the standard. Those Battlefield 3 trailers are what is making me seriously consider upgrading at the moment, I bet the specs are going to be pretty high to get the most out of it...

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    It's M$ trying to force you to upgrade I believe. I think some hackers have managed to get versions of DX running on XP that were not supported, clearly showing it could be done...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    To be honest there is very few games actually using DX11 at the moment, but I expect over the next 12 - 18 months it will start cropping up a lot more till it eventually becomes the standard. Those Battlefield 3 trailers are what is making me seriously consider upgrading at the moment, I bet the specs are going to be pretty high to get the most out of it...
    There was a hack to get DX10 on Crysis for XP, and I used that - although I barely noticed the difference from DX9 to DX10.

However, there was a huge difference on STALKER: Call of Pripyat (and I couldn't find a hack to enable DX10 for XP) ... it was rather annoying as the Clear Sky (the preceding game) looked rather nice on DX9, so they deliberately made it look shit in DX9 when they came to CoP. That reet pissed me off. Solid game, mind.

Yeah, I figured it was a stitch up to force people to upgrade. What a piss take, again. Wankers.

Administrator

England
    It's now available for pre-order on Steam...

*ducks and waits for the MZ bomb *
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    It's now available for pre-order on Steam...

*ducks and waits for the MZ bomb *
    *stomps around like a grumpy godzilla*

F*ckin' Steam...

I'll end up getting this on 360, methinks. However, not until it's at a cheaper price. Besides, on May 20th L.A. Noire comes out - and I'm so up for that game.

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    It MUST be the end of the world after all!

Duke is gold! http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/60...ever-Is-Golden
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I pre-ordered this yesterday, and have been having a blast with Duke 3D in the meantime. It still holds up excellently!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    I pre-ordered this yesterday, and have been having a blast with Duke 3D in the meantime. It still holds up excellently!
    How you playing that?
    -Carl Sagan