Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: The Avengers (film)

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo View Post
    His aim was to try and separate and destroy the tenuous alliance that they had formed, and to destroy the shield fortress by causing the hulk to let loose.
    OK:-
    1) Why would him (Loki) being there (locked in a cell) affect their "tenuous alliance"?
    2) Why when Hawkeye blew up one propeller, didn't he - shock horror - blow up one or two more? That would have been fairly good at achieving the mission/objective?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Canada
    1) I thought that it was pretty obvious that he had wanted to be there. He could directly interact with the Avengers this way, and bring about the infighting that almost led to them separating. He was locked in the cell, but that really didnt interfere with his aims, as Thor played into his hands pretty easily. He jumped into the cell, attacking the hologram Loki and became trapped within. Loki has made it clear that he wanted Thor dead in the past, and the fall in the cylinder may have stood a pretty good chance of killing him, so this would eliminate one member of the team, and the object of his revenge. I am also lead to believe that Loki had wanted on the helicarrier because he knew that Banner was onboard, and that his aim was to awaken the Hulk.
    2) I do not know, as this was the part of the movie I left to use the rest room. Maybe he was unable too because he was intercepted by Black Widow?
    Last edited by mista_mo; 09-May-2012 at 04:04 PM. Reason: HULK

Administrator

England
    1) I thought that it was pretty obvious that he had wanted to be there. He could directly interact with the Avengers this way, and bring about the infighting that almost led to them separating. He was locked in the cell, but that really didnt interfere with his aims, as Thor played into his hands pretty easily. He jumped into the cell, attacking the hologram Loki and became trapped within. Loki has made it clear that he wanted Thor dead in the past, and the fall in the cylinder may have stood a pretty good chance of killing him, so this would eliminate one member of the team, and the object of his revenge. I am also lead to believe that Loki had wanted on the helicarrier because he knew that Banner was onboard, and that his aim was to awaken the Hulk.
    Didn't seem clear to me. Seemed the only real reason was so they/he could locate the flying aircraft carrier and destroy it!? Which brings us onto...

2) I do not know, as this was the part of the movie I left to use the rest room. Maybe he was unable too because he was intercepted by Black Widow?
    No Hawkeye flew upto the super duper flying aircraft carrier and blew one engine up with an arrow, and then landed!?!?!?!? Why not just fire three more arrows (for the other three engines) and fly away? The entire thing would be destroyed, along with many/all of the SHIELD staff/operatives? Job done!?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

No Hawkeye flew up to the super duper flying aircraft carrier and blew one engine up with an arrow, and then landed!?!?!?!? Why not just fire three more arrows (for the other three engines) and fly away? The entire thing would be destroyed, along with many/all of the SHIELD staff/operatives? Job done!?
    I think, but may have to re-watch it that...

Loki was on board and Hawkeye (and crew) had orders to see Loki off the Helicarrier. That's why he landed. The purpose of initially damaging the SHIELD Helicarrier was to create a distraction and state of confusion that would allow Hawkeye to extract Loki. Any long term damage to the Helicarrier, ancillary crew and SHIELD's capabilities would just have been a side benefit of Loki's initial plan to sow dissent amongst his opponents and possibly take Thor out of the picture. Now if the damage to the Helicarrier helped the Hulk, manipulated into a rage at this point, take out the helicarrier and many or all of the crew and Avengers, then even better, but that was not Hawkeye's main part in the plan.

Wish I could remember where Clint was headed when he ran into Natasha for their fight.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I think, but may have to re-watch it that...

Loki was on board and Hawkeye (and crew) had orders to see Loki off the Helicarrier. That's why he landed. The purpose of initially damaging the SHIELD Helicarrier was to create a distraction and state of confusion that would allow Hawkeye to extract Loki. Any long term damage to the Helicarrier, ancillary crew and SHIELD's capabilities would just have been a side benefit of Loki's initial plan to sow dissent amongst his opponents and possibly take Thor out of the picture. Now if the damage to the Helicarrier helped the Hulk, manipulated into a rage at this point, take out the helicarrier and many or all of the crew and Avengers, then even better, but that was not Hawkeye's main part in the plan.

Wish I could remember where Clint was headed when he ran into Natasha for their fight.
    I'll have to watch it again, as I don't recall Hawkeye helping Loki escape, or even implying it!?
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I'll have to watch it again, as I don't recall Hawkeye helping Loki escape, or even implying it!?
    There's so much in the flick that it'd be easy to forget such things, you can never possibly have a whole movie locked down in one viewing when it's at such a scale as this with so many characters. It takes multiple viewings to cover all the bases.

Administrator

England
    Yes, a good fun watch at the cinema, but it all felt just too scripted and on rails... The "meh" results from all the predicable big action with lots of pretty meaningless big bangs and crashes and not really one moment of actual real concern or risk
    LOL! So my main criticism was no one really seemed in any danger or ever felt under threat... and now there's a rumour surfacing that the one character who did actually suffer in some way, may not even be dead after all - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/55655
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    LOL! So my main criticism was no one really seemed in any danger or ever felt under threat... and now there's a rumour surfacing that the one character who did actually suffer in some way, may not even be dead after all - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/55655
    You never read comic books growing up, did you?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    You never read comic books growing up, did you?
    ?? 2000AD! Was there anything else?
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    ?? 2000AD! Was there anything else?
    According to schools these days it'd have to be 2000CE ... ... dates in schools are now "BCE" and "CE" aka Before Christian Era, and Christian Era ... just ain't as catchy though, is it?

Ireland
    ^^ You're feckin joking.

What the hell?
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    http://www.boxoffice.com/statistics/...ate/2012-05-13

$103,163,000 for it's second weekend domestically.

Domestic: $373,182,000
    + Foreign: $628,900,000
    Worldwide: $1,002,082,000

Avengers has passed The Dark Knight to become the highest-grossing superhero and comic book movie worldwide.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    I enjoyed it quite a lot. It was very satisfying and I was never bored once during the film. The only time that I noticed the length was when I could no longer hold in my piss, and thus I had to get up and walk to the bathroom before my bladder exploded. I've never had to do that during a film before...the Avengers broke my theater washroom virginity.

there were so many people getting up to use the bathroom.......scratch that....the same 8 or 9 people kept getting up for various reasons and it pissed me off to no end. one guy pissed about 3 times, got a few refills of soda and got at least 3 LARGE POPCORN refills......everyone had to go down my aisle....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    According to schools these days it'd have to be 2000CE ... ... dates in schools are now "BCE" and "CE" aka Before Christian Era, and Christian Era ... just ain't as catchy though, is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    ^^ You're feckin joking.

What the hell?
    Nope - I ain't jokin', Sir. I edit a lot of educational DVDs, and that's how I first discovered it - I thought it was a mistake at first in the script, but I was informed that for a few years now in schools it's no longer BC/AD, but BCE/CE. Seems pointless to me personally - I'm decidedly non-religious, but I have no problem with "Before Christ" and "Anno Domini" - but whatever. Despite the change, I'd say BC/AD is still the norm in the wider world.

Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    http://www.boxoffice.com/statistics/...ate/2012-05-13

$103,163,000 for it's second weekend domestically.

Domestic: $373,182,000
    + Foreign: $628,900,000
    Worldwide: $1,002,082,000

Avengers has passed The Dark Knight to become the highest-grossing superhero and comic book movie worldwide.

Wow - The Avengers is kicking box office arse - Joss Whedon must be feeling pretty chuffed, and he deserves it.

Administrator

England
    I been wanting to see this but im having a hard time convincing the girlfriend