Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: So I let my son watch the original Nightmare on Elm Street

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post

If that doesn't do it, your kid is as desensitized as I am. The last thing to draw a twitch out of me is that once in a great while I'll fear some amorphous, intangible yet malevolent entity, possibly with demonic connotations, when I'm restless but dozing at 3am.
    This. Even at the age of 29 I still sleep with my bedroom door locked (and the walk-in closet door always shut). My two greatest fears are zombies and demons (thank you very much, "The Exorcist"). Zombies are a bit unnatural for a fear since it's unlikely that the dead will ever come back to eat people, but demons are a completely different matter (at least to me).

Back when I was younger (and far dumber) I used to play around with Ouija boards with some friends and we'd do all kinds of crazy stuff. To this day I refuse to allow anyone to bring a Ouija board or Tarot cards into my apartment (along with minors and Natural Light beer) because of some crazy stuff that happened to me when I was younger (and a wee bit dumber). There are some good friends of mine that refuse to allow the things around them either (for good reason). The last Ouija board I had (back when I was younger and perhaps dumber) I ended up burning with Zippo fluid and burying the ashes. Long story.

Paranoid? Probably. But I keep a crucifix outside my door and several blessed rosaries around the place too. I figure it can't hurt because you never know for sure. It's better to play it safe than worry about the "unknown" out there.

As far as the original NOES, the only thing that ever really creeped me out about the films is the song: "One, two, Freddy's coming for you..." -- I can still recite word for word the entire rhyme/song to this day (and I suck at memorizing anything). When I was little my older cousin used to have a Freddy glove (talk about collector's items there!) and he and my cousins and I would play "Freddy" where we would run around outside and try to hide from him and be the last one to be killed.

Although most people would attempt to laugh at it or rationalize fear or put in some Jungian ideas into it, fear is a much different thing at 3 A.M. when you're all alone and in the dark than it is during the regular day.

j.p.
    Last edited by JDFP; 18-May-2010 at 06:43 PM.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

England
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    The last Ouija board I had (back when I was younger and perhaps dumber) I ended up burning with Zippo fluid and burying the ashes. Long story.
    What happened fella? I've never done one myself but ive heard numerous people talk about bad experiences with them, but I've never know if they were just making it up to scare people!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    The last Ouija board I had (back when I was younger and perhaps dumber) I ended up burning with Zippo fluid and burying the ashes. Long story.
    Huh.

THIS is my mousepad:
    Attached Images
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    What happened fella? I've never done one myself but ive heard numerous people talk about bad experiences with them, but I've never know if they were just making it up to scare people!
    +1 Go on do tell!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    +1 Go on do tell!
    +1 I wanna hear this, read it.... whatever.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Okay, I'm going to post a new thread on it called "Ouija Board Experiences" and put it in the General section because I wouldn't feel right about hijacking this thread entirely for that purpose -- and I'd honestly be interested in seeing if other folks have any experiences with the damnable doorways to Hell as well.

I'll have it up and posted here in just a few minutes...

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

England
    I caught that old film "The Entity" last night on TV, and although its dated & a bit sloppy in places, there are still some scenes in it that I find frightening & disturbing!

United States
    The Entity, as I remember, was kinda creepy when I watched it as a kid. Not NOES scary, but I do remember it being quite creepy.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The only reason I would want a kid is so I could show him/her proper horror films.

Still on the fence about the kid thing, but it's a bit late now in that aspect.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    Hey, I'm trying with my little one. I'm trying to keep him away from the crap and show him at least some of the classic horror flicks out there.

OH! I forgot to mention to everyone - I let my son watch Land of the Dead the other day at his own request.

Dj, would you care to tell the folks here at HPotD what he told you when you asked what he thought of the movie?
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 25-May-2010 at 08:08 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Hey, I'm trying with my little one. I'm trying to keep him away from the crap and show him at least some of the classic horror flicks out there.

OH! I forgot to mention to everyone - I let my son watch Land of the Dead the other day at his own request.

Dj, would you care to tell the folks here at HPotD what he told you when you asked what he thought of the movie?
    IT SUCKED!
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    IT SUCKED!
    There's something wrong with that boy...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    There's something wrong with that boy...
    NAH, I think he is spot on!

Now with ANOES, yes I agree something is wrong. Lou, you care to elaborate?
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Poor kid. His father and DJ are leading him astray.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG
    IT SUCKED!
    See what I did there? It was like being a basketball player. I had a wide open court and was rushing towards the basket for the slam dunk. Instead, I passed it to my buddy on the right and let him make the basket instead.

That could go on a motivational poster with a big picture of Big Daddy! I can see it now... "Teamwork - Letting your friend tell everyone your son throught the movie sucked instead of taking the credit for his good taste yourself" lmfao

Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    NAH, I think he is spot on!

Now with ANOES, yes I agree something is wrong. Lou, you care to elaborate?
    He is spot on. I thought it was awesome when he came upstairs and said "wow, that was bad. It sucked."

I don't know what you mean about 'something wrong' Dj - something is wrong because he wasn't scared of NOES wasn't scary and thought Land sucked? Help me out here, not sure what you're getting at.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Poor kid. His father and DJ are leading him astray.

Hey, c'mon, I'm having him watch movies that (some) people really dig. The original NOES was good (most people liked it, I know you didn't care for it) and you like Land, which I let him watch too - he just wasn't impressed with either.

What can I say, he's picky.