Page 7 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Why people hate LOTD

Undisclosed
    I truly have lost my respect for him. I waited for a long time to see LOTD and it really just did not deliver anything I wanted. I loved it in the theatre, but everything is better on a huge screen. I bought the unrated DVD and I will NEVER watch it again.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It might be harsh, but it's true. I would have rather it sat on his desk and something better come along, or him pass away then see him tarnish himself with the fans by turning in something mediocre.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Every director has a film that's not necessarily up to par with their others. Which agree with you, although I enjoy "Land" and you don't....I can still agree with you that it's not as good as the original three.

Maybe his next one will be better. Keep your fingers crossed...

It might be harsh, but it's true. I would have rather it sat on his desk and something better come along, or him pass away then see him tarnish himself with the fans by turning in something mediocre.
    Oh come on, man. I know you don't like it(I have my complaints with it, too) but does it make you like Night, Dawn, or Day any less? He didn't "tarnish" himself. It just wasn't what it COULD HAVE been. You never know....his next might blow us away(if his lungs don't give out on him....damn cancer sticks)...
    Last edited by bassman; 16-Mar-2006 at 05:36 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Not sure if it's just me, or does Day of the Dead give you a distinctly 'green' feel colour wise. Like LOTD is a "blue" film, Day is a "green" film. Dawn isn't really a colour...but is quite garish, and Night is obviously B/W vibe-wise.

Oh yeh - 300th post madness!!!

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311
    Every director has a film that's not necessarily up to par with their others. Which agree with you, although I enjoy "Land" and you don't....I can still agree with you that it's not as good as the original three.

Maybe he'll do House of the Dead III next.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie
    Not sure if it's just me, or does Day of the Dead give you a distinctly 'green' feel colour wise. Like LOTD is a "blue" film, Day is a "green" film. Dawn isn't really a colour...but is quite garish, and Night is obviously B/W vibe-wise.

Oh yeh - 300th post madness!!!
    i think the reason day has a green feel is because of 1. some of the zombies are really green. 2. the green outfits the soldiers had on. and probably alot more. it was probably the most used color in the movie

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Oh come on, man. I know you don't like it(I have my complaints with it, too) but does it make you like Night, Dawn, or Day any less? He didn't "tarnish" himself. It just wasn't what it COULD HAVE been. You never know....his next might blow us away(if his lungs don't give out on him....damn cancer sticks)...

You have a point! I still love Night, Dawn and Day. Nothing will ever tarnish my memories for those films.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Undisclosed

Totally OT: a good movie about a dwarf

See The Station Agent...set in New Jersey (yeah!), with a great lead, Peter Dinklage (sp?) who happens to be a dwarf. It's a small (no pun intended) indep .movie but really a great ****ing story. Great characterizations and dialogue. There, I have joined the midget debate....
    "I'll have a Bloody Mary and a steak sandwich...and a steak sandwich."

Undisclosed
    This is not a flame, just a discussion. Please keep it in mind as I disagree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG
    For many of us, LOTD was to be the master's finest entry,
    If so, your viewing experience was doomed from the start. To expect the film to surpass Dawn or Night is asking to be disappointed. Honestly.

You mention poor performances, when I can find acting in each of Romero's previous Dead flicks that are worse than anything in LAND. Examples? Tom in NIGHT, Wooley in DAWN, Miguel in DAY. And you could argue others as well. Does this mean LAND is better? No. It means subpar acting can't sink a film. Or a Romero film, at any rate.

Although the script I read and the final product were slightly different, the script to screen translation was mediocre at best, and this is why I think most DEAD fans, find this to be the worst of the series.
    I don't know that most Dead fans feel that way, though. Most probably didn't read the script, therefore they didn't have mismanaged expectations.

LAND wasn't perfect. It has improved on subsequent viewings for me. Only time will tell if it has the staying power of DAY. But I have to wonder if your excitement (and your personal involvement) set you up to hate the film.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Good input, Harold. That's been my theory from the beginning. People went in expecting too much.

Not that I think it is Romero's masterpiece or anything, but it is definitely not as bad as some try to make it out to be. I think after 20 years of anticipation and everyone coming up with their own ideas of what they would have liked for it to be, they were setting themselves up not to like it.

I guess this is the sort of thing that happens when you're dealing with fans of a franchise....\

And alot of people say it is without a doubt Romero's worst film. To be honest, I enjoy it more than "Creepshow". More than "Monkey Shines" as well. Is it the worst? Is it "Legendary director George A. Romero's masterpiece" like the trailer stated? Nope...
    Last edited by bassman; 16-Mar-2006 at 08:49 PM.

Undisclosed
    30 minutes may help it but I dunno about you, all I can say is that I just didn't feel threatened at any point in the movie. So adding in 30 minutes maynot really do anything for it, however I am curious as to what you think should have been added.
    All those skyscraper people who were stuck between the electric fence and the zombies? Just one subplot showing what life was like for them in the tower, what they did and what they gave up to get there. I wanted to see scenes of that sterile lifestyle.

Being Attacked

Undisclosed

New...

I wanted to jump in here. I am a newbie to the HPOTD page but a fan of all things zombie. I wanted to say that I felt that LOTD was a great movie. yes it had its plot falls and some little things about it that made it not perfect...but in a world of teenage goof movies and stupid comedies that are anything but funny I welcome this movie.

Now I will say one thing...maybe I missed something even as many times as I have watched the movies...I bought Land of the Dead thinking "FINALLY...They will say WHY it happened". Unless I missed something...I was wrong. Ok IN day of the dead the said that whole when hell is full the dead shall inherit the earth. Maybe its not important...but I just would like to maybe have had something about it saying why.

I would also have liked to find out what happened to the hero's of our other parts.

Ok well for my first post...please don't get ****ed at me. I am new here...

"Be gentle...its my first time"

United States

I respect your opinion but..

Quote Originally Posted by tju1973
    Out of all of them, I personally rate the 4 in this order..

Day,Dawn,Night, and finally Land..

ok, now throw what you must at me..

these are only my opinions!

For the most part I agree with you, however I think Dawn deserves to be on the top of the list without question. I love all the movies for different reasons as I'm sure you do but when you look at the figures I think Dawn takes the cake. So here is my list of the movies: 5)night 90 4) day 3)night2) land 1)Dawn
    "Are you asking me if I think you're pretty or if I'll f*** you? Cause you don't have to be pretty for me to f*** you"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Hi Bluerose....always nice to see new fans around here.

As far as an explanation in Romero's films....that will probably never happen. Romero has always left it open to speculation and to some(myself included) that is probably best.

As far as the quote that you were remembering from "Day", I think you were probably thinking of the quote from "Dawn" that is "When there's no more room in hell, the dead shall walk the Earth". But that is just a theory by one of the characters(Peter) because of something his father once told him in the past.

But Romero has never stated why the dead started to rise and I'm pretty sure I've seen interviews where he's said the he never will(if he gets to make another before he passes)

Hope this helps

Undisclosed
    Is it "Legendary director George A. Romero's masterpiece" like the trailer stated? Nope...
    Well, that marketing approach didn't help anything, but to steal a Simpsons joke, anyone who BELIEVES a tagline that has "masterpiece" in the title probably also wanted to sue the producers of "The Neverending Story" for false advertising...