Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: It begins...

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    http://kotaku.com/5922276/face+eater-attack-in-china

okay, at this point im not sure if its world war Z viral marketing or something for really reals
    Wow, I noticed a few people on Kotaku make salient points in the comments section. I never thought I'd see a majority of the people who frequent that site be more reasonable than the people who frequent hpotd. I'm impressed, and disappointed at the same time.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    http://kotaku.com/5922276/face+eater-attack-in-china

okay, at this point im not sure if its world war Z viral marketing or something for really reals

Ok, so why aren't they screaming 'BATH SALTS!' this time, hmmmm?

Undisclosed
    The whole "bath salts" thing was a ruse to diminish the seriousness of a possible emerging problem by giving sheeple joke material.

Could the mechanism be psychological, chemical, biological or other? If the trend of these types of attacks continues there should be serious research into the cause.

Administrator

England
    You don't just think this sort of thing goes on all the time, but just at the moment it's getting noticed/reported?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    It seems to me, if there was face-munching going on prior to the Miami guy, at least one of us on HPotD would've heard about it and posted it saying, "ZOMBIES!"

The Occam's razor approach seems appropriate.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    You don't just think this sort of thing goes on all the time, but just at the moment it's getting noticed/reported?
    I used to frequent a now defunct site called uncover reality that featured crime scene photos, videos and other nasty displays of man's inhumanity to man. Everyone there would have been all over these types of "zombie" attacks if they had occured during the site's existance, but the few similar incidents never occured at the same frequency as today. The majority of other reported acts of cannibalism were attributed to deliberate acts by serial killers and not these incoherent rage type attacks.

That being said, with the media sensationalizing of these incidents, there will undoubtedly be copycats.

United States
    Well, that settles it then. It was zombies.

***edited to add: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...eat-faces.html

Last edited by LouCipherr; 03-Jul-2012 at 05:48 PM. Reason: .

Undisclosed
    It was disclosed last week that the Miami guy was not on nor has any of the other attackers proven to be under the influence of "bath salts". It is either incompetent reporting or more likely a disinformation campaign by the authorities as they have been unable to determine what is causing people to go on these rampages.

United States
    Oh yeah, Sammich, you're right - they're demonizing MDPV (bath salts) as much as they can at this point. Even though most of these idiots in the press don't even know if these people are on the stuff, they're still going to propagate the lies like there's no tomorrow. That's our Media/press for ya.

Now, whenever I see an article that says "Person on BATH SALTS..." I can help but and because it's beyond the point of ridiculous.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 03-Jul-2012 at 06:44 PM. Reason: .

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Ok, so why aren't they screaming 'BATH SALTS!'

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    LOL tell me that's a joke(zombie plan)
    Nope. the CDC has used computer simulations of a zombie outbreak to better study/understand how quickly a disease spread by contact/bodily fluids (like Ebola) would spread in a large population.

-- -------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    No one here actually believes such a thing...that's a different brand of forum.

I think--generally speaking--there's a lot of zombie fantasists, some angry zombie fantasists (ill-considered homicidal wish fulfillment etc.) and very few literalists (I've never seen one actually post), who may actually believe and possibly be actively planning for a zombie survival event (not to be confused w/ people who use the term "zombie" in general survivalist crack-pottery to refer to unprepared vandals).

Honestly, here we're mostly jaded enough and nice/sane enough to be none of the above. Just fans of the genre, albeit sometimes critical.
    do i believe in the dead rising and eating the living? hell, no. do i think that it is possible for a disease that causes symptoms akin to rabies to jump up and bite us on the ass - yes, i do. new diseases pop up all the time.

bacteria and viruses can lie dormant for centuries and, in some cases, for thousands of years and come right back to life under the right conditions. who knows what may be lurking in the darker corners of the world, in caves, locked up in ice, trapped at the bottom of the sea, etc. just waiting for the right conditions to allow them to pop up and say hello to us all.

Aces, you might be interested in looking into how genetic diversity plays into a population surviving an epidemic. it seems like that subject has peaked your interest when i've brought it up before. Europeans and Africans would stand a much better chance of surviving a global pandemic than other human populations. why? because both racial groups have a huge amount of genetic diversity. that is why whites and blacks come in all different manner of colors, shapes, and sizes. the farther you go away from europe and africa, the less genetic diversity there is in the human populations until you come to Native Americans, who have the least amount of genetic diversity on the planet.
    Last edited by Mike70; 07-Jul-2012 at 01:18 AM. Reason: s
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Undisclosed
    There have also been several "outbreak" scenario type shows on discovery and tlc. Basically what everything came down to is that an epidemic can spread worldwide within days due to modern transporation allowing people to hop continent to continent in hours instead of weeks or even longer when compared to previous outbreaks like the 1918 spanish flu.

-- -------- Post added 09-Jul-2012 at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was 07-Jul-2012 at 01:21 AM ----------

Another similar attack, but there aren't any reports yet if the victim had any bite wounds.

Witness: Woman Working At Inn Brutally Murdered By Naked Man

“The lady was like half-naked, and he was butt naked — blood all over him. It was crazy, man,” said Haynes.

“All the dude kept saying was like, ‘I didn’t do nothing. I didn’t do nothing.’ He was like out of his mind, delirious,” said Haynes.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    do i believe in the dead rising and eating the living? hell, no. do i think that it is possible for a disease that causes symptoms akin to rabies to jump up and bite us on the ass - yes, i do. new diseases pop up all the time.

bacteria and viruses can lie dormant for centuries and, in some cases, for thousands of years and come right back to life under the right conditions. who knows what may be lurking in the darker corners of the world, in caves, locked up in ice, trapped at the bottom of the sea, etc. just waiting for the right conditions to allow them to pop up and say hello to us all.
    Y'know Mike, you're right. I've said it before here on HPotD and I'll say it again: I have worked in the biopharma industry for the past 13 years and it's not all cancer and MS research. Much of it experimentation with known deadly virii and bacteria, tweaking already known deadly strains (y'know, like f'ing with the 'bird flu' virus and making it into a weaponized version of itself) for biological weapons, etc.

While some of it is being done for the good of mankind, some of it is being done for easier ways to destroy mankind. It's exciting and scary at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Carcass
    HAH! AWESOME! He is now dubbed BATH SALTS MAN forever more!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    More than likely. The face biter got the ball rolling and now the media is probably attempting to tie every similar incident together as though they are related. Hell, people getting high or drunk and then running around naked is common place in certain areas. Used to "see" it all of the time on C.O.P.S. back in the '80s--then the culprit was usually crack or PCP.

Additionally, "biting" during assaults or fights is not that uncommon. A friend of mine once was bitten on the face during a bar scuffle and had to get half a dozen stitches (and his assailant was merely drunk). LOL.

-stray-

United States
    Not convinced yet? Well, another zombie in Florida (at least this time they aren't screaming "BATH SALTS!" throughout the article):

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2012-07-10/story/naked-man-arrested-after-rampage-and-attack-st-augustine

Naked man arrested after rampage and attack in St. Augustine
    Posted: July 10, 2012 - 10:00am | Updated: July 10, 2012 - 12:06pm
    By Dan Scanlan

A naked man went on a rampage Saturday, biting a chunk out of a man’s stomach after leaping from a roof onto a truck on Palmetto Avenue, according to the St. Augustine Police Department.

After it took several officers to subdue him, 22-year-old Jeremiah Aaron Haughee of North Central Avenue in Flagler Beach was booked into the St. Johns County jail on five counts of battery, according to the arrest report. Three of the batteries were against a police officer, while Haughee was also charged with burglary and criminal mischief before he was released Sunday on $32,000 bail.

Police were called to the scene about 4:30 a.m. to find a naked man being restrained by two men outside their home on Palmetto Avenue, the arrest report said. The men said they were asleep when they heard someone destroying their lawn furniture, then climbing on their roof before leaping onto a truck and denting its hood.

When the men came out of their house to see what was happening, Haughee ran in and tackled them. He urinated on the floor before biting one of them in the stomach as they held him for police, according to the report.

It took five officers with two sets of handcuffs, leg shackles, a spit-prevention hood and Taser strikes to control Haughee, police said. Three officers were kicked, hit or bitten during the arrest. Haughee was taken to Flagler Hospital and anesthetized to calm him down, then jailed.

There is no initial indication if he was on any substance during his rampage, police said.

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, my friends..