View Poll Results: What do you think?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • GAR's movies take place in the same universe, and the same timeline

16 43.24%
  • GAR's movies take place in the same universe, but different timelines

16 43.24%
  • GAR's movie take place in the same timeline, but different universes (Is this even possible?)

2 5.41%
  • GAR's movies take place in different universes and different timelines

1 2.70%
  • There is a multi-dimensional thing going on (The Alive Man, vote here!)

2 5.41%
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: GAR Dead Films - Universe and Timeline

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by The Alive Man View Post
    Not OUR 1988 A.C., but the counterpart year of the Stretch.
    What absolute twaddle.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post
    I agree with that. Its seems elementary to me. It is convienient to make it relevant to the current tiome when making a film, plus budgetary concerns preclude GAR from making them period pieces.
    Suspension of disbelief etc.

No, Land is not in '88. Thats all hypothetical.
    Exactly. The movies have no real link, except the "Dead" in the title. All that matters is that they are set NOW. Not a certain amount of years after Day or Dawn, but NOW.

N2NOther, you disregard stuff when it doesn't suit you and you acknowledge stuff when it fits your theory. No offense, but that's just what you're doing.

The "He had no budget!" excuse is bull****, because Romero could easily have set Land in the 60's or 80's if he wanted too. He would have saved alot of money doing so.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 10-Dec-2006 at 07:00 PM.

United States
    Not OUR 1988 A.C., but the counterpart year of the Stretch.
    Im saying , the differences are due to practical reasons, not any kind of Phantasmagoria.
    And isn't it AD (Anno Domani) not AC?
    Os that some new revisionism that I haven't noticed?

You are truly on the Alter of Roy Thomas
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Undisclosed
    Im saying , the differences are due to practical reasons, not any kind of Phantasmagoria.
    And isn't it AD (Anno Domani) not AC?
    Os that some new revisionism that I haven't noticed?

You are truly on the Alter of Roy Thomas

Well, it's my theory.

A.C. = After Christ.

WTF? Who is Roy Thomas?
    "I'm not one of those things, baby. I like to consider myself as a milestone. If you can, well, just see me, hear me, kiss me or even fu*k me... and you'll know what it means to be living."

United States
    Well, it's my theory.

A.C. = After Christ.

WTF? Who is Roy Thomas?
    I know its after Christ, I just have never seen that used anywhere. Is that some Italian thing?

Roy Thomas is a comics writer who in the 60s and 70s created an extremely convoluted Alternate set of universes for D.C. to explain away any continutiy errors that led up into an overcomplicated, impossible to follow continuom.

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

capncnut
    I know its after Christ, I just have never seen that used anywhere. Is that some Italian thing?
    Maybe it's an Italian football team, as in A.C. Milan.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnKnut View Post
    Maybe it's an Italian football team, as in A.C. Milan.
    Alternating Current?!?!?!

Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Undisclosed
    so this thread is crazy and redonkulously far fetched

i have a plan
    im going to make a movie
    linking the Bat Man series
    and the Godfather Series

in order to piss off fans of both the Godfather and Batman

but now i know a better idea for ruining movies

I'll either remake all the dead movies taking out the anachronisms and things that shouldnt exists if it was a straight laced time line
    or
    maybe i'll make movies for in between each movie
    where they invent all of the things that shouldnt exist in the following film!

then you guys could stop with all this hubbub!

seriously though
    they dont go in a straight time line
    they do go in a line based on the level of invasion and level of zombie learnin'
    so in that manner i consider them a series
    they after all have the same themes and focus
    but figuring out some crazy formula to warp time and space to the Dead Films is just insanity

they are a series but they each take place in the present
    each film takes the same zombie invasion and puts it in the present day but taken to the natural next level
    if they had been all in the 60s Romero would have quit long ago due to the limited scope of such a strict world
    if they all were chronological then where in hell did they invent all that crap?

on a very off topic note
    (not that I'm ever on topic, or offering much to the discussion)
    Dead Next Door is the BEES KNEES

has anyone made some sort of ULTIMATE TIMELINE OF THE ZOMBIE INVASION?

like Night of the Living Dead and all of its sequels, rip offs, spin offs, tangents, illegitamite lovers, modern remakes, parodies and obvious inspirations?
    not based upon time, but based on the logical advancement of Zombies and their mission to eat everyone

now that timeline would impress my socks off
    A.F.A.!!!!!!
    Artichoke Fondlers Anonymous !!!

Death Count of friends playing Zombie DND: 8

Eddy- Face accidently smashed with a hatchet by a fellow survivor, Invasion Day 4
    Jake- Shot in the back by the police as he robbed a Sports Authority, Invasion Day 1
    chris- bitten while defending home, shot by chester
    annie- wrists slashed by nader and eaten alive
    richard- torn to pieces after being pulled from atop his SUV by zombies, managed to shoot his gas tank in the process
    nader- killed by th explosion of richard's SUV
    carl- tortured to deah by nader (infighting got nasty)
    jake- shot by carl in the stomach

Just been bitten Shadowofthedead's Avatar

Aaland

dang it all to frackin heck

it happens on ther same universe and the same time line romero is the one who will dictate the years and the time line seeing how hes the creator of the universe he is the god of that universe.... ahhhhhhhhhhh all this intellect makes my somewhat intellegent brain hurt. wthe 3 weeks to three years between movies is fine for now until we recieve an official notice from the man... you make this poor follower of romoero want to turn in his gun and be comnsumed by the dead... SHUT UP ALL READY... if you watch the opening of LAND you will see the different eras of years in the back ground and besides it takes time for creatures to evolve as did the "zombies" supposedly so whos to say that the time line is just that the way the movies have come in order. dr logan does say that the decomposition has slowed down in DAY making 20- 40 years of a zombie living not all that impossible... JUST TAKE THE MOVIES HOW THEY ARE AND SHUT UP OR ILL COME BACK FROM THE DEAD AND EAT YOU ALL... i need another beer oh and take LAND's beginning for what it is... oh and the movie UNDEAD was on show time last night so look out for it later this month...

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    N2NOther, you disregard stuff when it doesn't suit you and you acknowledge stuff when it fits your theory. No offense, but that's just what you're doing.

The "He had no budget!" excuse is bull****, because Romero could easily have set Land in the 60's or 80's if he wanted too. He would have saved alot of money doing so.
    He would have saved money by making clothes, hairstyles, cars and whathaveyou? No, he really wouldn't have...Not to mention that it's a logistics and continuity nightmare to make sure nothing is anachronistic. Friggin' Die Hard 2 had 10x the budget of every Dead film combined and they couldn't even make the Pay Phones say something other than Pacific Bell for a movie that takes place in DC...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by N2NOther View Post
    Friggin' Die Hard 2 had 10x the budget of every Dead film combined and they couldn't even make the Pay Phones say something other than Pacific Bell for a movie that takes place in DC...
    hahahaahha!
    Darn it, thats funny

Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Undisclosed
    Alternating Current?!?!?!
    "I'm not one of those things, baby. I like to consider myself as a milestone. If you can, well, just see me, hear me, kiss me or even fu*k me... and you'll know what it means to be living."

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by N2NOther View Post
    He would have saved money by making clothes, hairstyles, cars and whathaveyou? No, he really wouldn't have...Not to mention that it's a logistics and continuity nightmare to make sure nothing is anachronistic. Friggin' Die Hard 2 had 10x the budget of every Dead film combined and they couldn't even make the Pay Phones say something other than Pacific Bell for a movie that takes place in DC...

DIE HARD 2 is horrid.

England
    Voted same universe, different timelines. My reasoning is;

I think the films follow the same outbreak with Dawn 3 weeks to 6 months after Night (Fran's developing pregnancy), Day about the same time as Dawn ends (the blown newspaper at the beginning, it hasn't decayed sufficiently for it to be significantly later. There had to be enough normality or reason to publish newspapers. Maybe disease [cholera, malaria, zombieitis, whatever] in their area greatly increased the walking dead numbers). And Land about three years after Night.

The timeline is the differing technology. [I]Night[I], the car, tv, radio and tv studio - and Washington sequence, clearly 1960s.

Dawn, the fashions of the tv studio people, the helocopter, the look, are 70s.

Day, the guns, different vintage. Ok, not much to go on here.

Land, cell phones, tech in general. Clearly different from Night. Cooper wasn't asking anyone if they had a cell phone in that farmhouse.

Well, I hope that makes sense, and you know what I'm on about.
    Last edited by dracenstein; 15-Dec-2006 at 07:51 PM.
    "and I looked and beheld, a zombie stamped with the number of the Beast"

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    first off, argh!, zombie thread!

second, who cares?, there good movies (BUT LAND WAS AMASTERPIECE FOR SOME! , ) there damn entertaining, what secret do you hope to unlock in all this, just enjoy it for what it is.