Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: "Duke Nukem Forever" not dead?

United States
    The XBLA version, I think it's 800 points.

It features a rewind/quick save feature that makes for a much snappier experience. I forgot how good the level design was, Hollywood Holocaust is a classic.

---------- Post added 02-Jun-2011 at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was 27-May-2011 at 01:27 PM ----------

Launch trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FV9ZF621uc
    Last edited by CoinReturn; 02-Jun-2011 at 02:25 PM. Reason: better quality

Super Moderator

UK
    This looks like a blast ... although I've got a videogame backlog at the moment, so it'll have to wait a little bit before I get around to it ... I'm also waiting for a price drop and feedback from friends. However, the teenage version of myself is all smiles.

Administrator

England
    I'm a pre-order whore on this one

---------- Post added 03-Jun-2011 at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was 02-Jun-2011 at 09:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Any of you lot getting the demo? I should be getting it as soon as I can (today/tomorrow)
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK

---------- Post added 03-Jun-2011 at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was 02-Jun-2011 at 09:05 PM ----------

Any of you lot getting the demo? I should be getting it as soon as I can (today/tomorrow)
    Do give us your impressions as soon as you can - I'm quite eager to hear what it's like.

Personally I've still got L.A. Noire to finish, and then after that I've got RDR: Undead Nightmare to do.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Do give us your impressions as soon as you can - I'm quite eager to hear what it's like.

Personally I've still got L.A. Noire to finish, and then after that I've got RDR: Undead Nightmare to do.
    Not very impressed

Maybe it's a poor demo of what will appear in the game itself? But I am tempted to cancel my pre-order and order in a few months when it's cheaper!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Not very impressed

Maybe it's a poor demo of what will appear in the game itself? But I am tempted to cancel my pre-order and order in a few months when it's cheaper!
    Unimpressed how/why?

England
    Hmmm so the wait wasnt worth it? They havent released a PC demo, or I cant find one on Steam anyway, so I guess I wont get to judge for myself!

United States
    I waited up for the demo last night, and couldn't be more disappointed.

Everything about this game feels like it's being held together with a few pieces of twine and some chewing gum. Graphical hiccups, weapons with no kick, lame blood/gore effects...I wasn't expecting GOTY material with DNF, but this is pretty terrible.

I might cancel my preorder, but I'll keep my fingers crossed that the demo is just really old code and they've improved the technical issues.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    I waited up for the demo last night, and couldn't be more disappointed.

Everything about this game feels like it's being held together with a few pieces of twine and some chewing gum. Graphical hiccups, weapons with no kick, lame blood/gore effects...I wasn't expecting GOTY material with DNF, but this is pretty terrible.

I might cancel my preorder, but I'll keep my fingers crossed that the demo is just really old code and they've improved the technical issues.
    I've created my cancellation, and just need to press "SUBMIT"...

Can always re-order if +ve comments come in!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I've created my cancellation, and just need to press "SUBMIT"...

Can always re-order if +ve comments come in!
    Just checked out the demo ... on YouTube ... where some collossal idiot was playing it (seriously, I was amazing at how he took ages to figure out a basic environmental challenge) ... ... and I definitely wouldn't pay full price for it. I'll definitely play DNF at some point (and at sale price), but I'd definitely not pay full-whack for it, and I've maintained that for quite some time now. Still looks fun, but I'd also wager that the demo isn't the best stuff in the game by far.

England
    I've had a watch of the demo on youtube (how come on every video of a game on there, you have to get a running commentary from some moron who thinks their silly voices & lame jokes are funny??), anyway I think it looks ok, a lot of the problem in my opinion is an extremely rose tinted view of the original Duke 3D by a lot of fans who are now a lot older than they were when they played it. I was 14 when I first played Duke 3D, my sense of humour & expectations of games were very different then to how they are now, if I could be 14 again now then this new Duke would probably seem every bit as good as I thought the original was...

Sure we all hold it in high regard because we're gamers from a bygone era, but if that was released now it wouldnt be held in anywhere near as high regard

Super Moderator

UK
    An element too is that it's taken so long - so there's a storm of nostalgia, hanging around waiting for so long, and being out-dated from the get-go. It should have been out years ago really, but I'll play it once it's on sale.

As for the gameplay videos, I found one that was 27 minutes long and featured no commentary - however the guy playing it was a collossal moron who couldn't figure out the most basic environmental challenges, so I ended up screaming at the screen half the time ... like "YES! THERE! THE GLOWING GAS CANS! REMEMBER, THAT'S YOUR GOAL FOR THIS LEVEL. GAS-UP YOUR MONSTER TRUCK!" and he'd be looking everywhere but the obvious glowing gas cans. So it was an extremely frustrating video to watch, and while it looks dated-out-of-the-box, it was always going to be. It's good that they've actually got it together, but then as well I'm sure the demo is only a mere taster and that the best stuff isn't anywhere near the demo - it'll be in the actual game.

I'm wondering though, if putting out that demo, has been a last minute own goal.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

seeing this everywhere, guessing thats not a good sign?

United States
    I switched my preorder over to Child of Eden yesterday. I'll pick up Duke when it hits $20, much as it pains me to say it.

Administrator

England
    There's some interesting talk out there regarding the demo. Folks looking at it recon it was a demo create last year for PAX (game show).

People can see in the demo's files PAX related definitions, and also in screen comparisons between the demo and the proper game some (minor) differences in graphics.

So the guess is the demo is purely an advert for the game from last year, and hopefully not a true reflection of the game itself...

---------- Post added 09-Jun-2011 at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was 06-Jun-2011 at 03:32 PM ----------

Well, all those years of waiting are nearly over!
    -Carl Sagan