Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Watchmen

England
    Ive just got back from seeing it,its a good film,quite interesting,well shot & good how the alternate history part works!its arse numbingly long though,and i guess i was expecting a little more action!but its well worth seeing & i'd recommend it

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Ive just got back from seeing it,its a good film,quite interesting,well shot & good how the alternate history part works!its arse numbingly long though,and i guess i was expecting a little more action!but its well worth seeing & i'd recommend it
    The graphic novel is very light on action. Another reason among many to realize going in this is not a typical super hero movie. The graphic novel is very story/character driven.

As for the length, wait for the extended DVD where they put in all the stuff from the graphic novel the had to cut for the theatrical!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    Roger Ebert's review is up, 4 stars:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...IEWS/903049997

Absolutely agree with him.
    actually i preferred watchman over the dark knight.

*world gasps, screeching halts occur*

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post

Super Moderator

UK

Go on, you, outside - flog yourself fifty times with this barbed wire and lemon juice whip.

Kazakhstan
    Steroid pumped hollywood Watchmen!
    I thought it was alright, not the real deal though was it?

Rorshach was well done though
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    Steroid pumped hollywood Watchmen!
    I thought it was alright, not the real deal though was it?

Rorshach was well done though
    There's all this talk about a "no squid ending", there's even been a Der Untergang YouTube video about that - having not read the graphic novel, nor having seen the film yet, what does not having the squid ending in the film mean in terms of how well it's been adapted, or how the over all property of Watchmen has been affected by changing the ending ... without giving away any actual spoilers mind you.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    There's all this talk about a "no squid ending", there's even been a Der Untergang YouTube video about that - having not read the graphic novel, nor having seen the film yet, what does not having the squid ending in the film mean in terms of how well it's been adapted, or how the over all property of Watchmen has been affected by changing the ending ... without giving away any actual spoilers mind you.
    Well, the fact that you even know about the squid is a huge spoiler in itself. The fanboy inside of me wanted to hate the new ending, but it works and melds completely with the rest of the story. All you need to know is that the road to the finale all leads to the same conclusion, both in the novel and the movie, it's just dressed differently in the latter.

The computer Veidt used to trigger the explosions in the movie is called S.Q.U.I.D.

Early Friday box office estimates are in, though they're subject to change:

EXCLUSIVE STEVE MASON EARLY FRIDAY ESTIMATES
    1. NEW - Watchmen (Warner Bros) - $25M, $6,923 PTA, $25M cume
    2. Tyler Perry’s Madea Goes To Jail (Lionsgate) - $2.43M, $1,130 PTA, $70.13M cume
    3. Taken (Fox) - $2.21M, $733 PTA, $112.8M cume
    4. Slumdog Millionaire (Fox Searchlight) - $2.05M, $709 PTA, $120.56M cume
    5. He’s Just Not That Into You (Warner Bros) - $1.3M, $532 PTA, $81.92M cume
    6. Jonas Brothers: The 3-D Concert Experience (Disney) - $1.27M, $995 PTA, $15.27M cume
    7. Paul Blart: Mall Cop (Sony) - $995,000, $389 PTA, $130.43M cume
    8. Confessions of a Shopaholic (Disney) - $865,000, $378 PTA, $36.1M cume
    9. Coraline (Focus) - $725,000, $357 PTA, $63.07M cume
    10. Fired Up (Sony) - $700,000, $389 PTA, $11.46M cume

The way things are looking, Watchmen will probably do 60-65 million this weekend.
    Last edited by CoinReturn; 07-Mar-2009 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

United States
    That's...hard. There's a whole subplot involving it (sort of), but really, it's a tool...a means to an end. With the subplot gone, you could replace it with some other "tool" & still pull it off I guess...Here is the short spoiler-ific explanation:

the "squid" is actually a genetically engineered "alien" monstrosity created to launch a staged "invasion from another dimension" - the plan being the whole world will unite together against a threat from beyond. SO...not sure what you replace THAT with...

Really the story is more about the characters, their journey, etc...hard to sum up...the book is really a whole bunch of intricately woven parts instead of "one big thing". But this one, while central to "the master plan", really isn't central to THE STORY...if that makes sense? (the fanboy in me is bummed it didn't get included. The pragmatist in me can probably live with it...)
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 08-Mar-2009 at 06:48 AM.

Dying

Undisclosed

oh,no you didn't!

United States
    Awesome movie and really faithful to the book.
    Would have loved to see the squid but I can't complain.
    I'm surprised they were able to fit that much into the movie.
    You people who complain about stuff being left out, just wait for the DVD.
    Expect at least an additional 40 minutes.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    yU+Co, the company who made the incredible opening sequence has put it online in it's entirety. Check it out if you've seen the movie and want to experience the first couple minutes again.

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article...its-are-online

So awesome

United States
    Saw it earlier tonight. Solid. As well adapted as possible. Mostly faithful to the "A" story. A few little niggling dialog/scene changes, none TOO major, though some did grate on my purists nerves, as they weren't NECESSARY changes...

All of the sub plots & minor characters cut, but that was expected.

Ending didn't make as much sense to me with the change made, but ..eh...

Perfect casting for everyone (except Veidt...just didn't dig the guy in the part...).

Maybe a tad too much pop music?

Visually impressive, but didn't overwhelm the movie...after the first little bit the "flash" factor kinda fades into the background.

As a huge fan of the book I'd give it a 7-8, compared to the books 10.

(One minor quibble...one of THE BEST pieces of dialog ANYWHERE was changed...for NO reason I could ascertain...I quote THE ORIGINAL here...)

“Looked into the sky, heavy with smoke and human fat, and God was not there.

The cold, suffocating dark goes on forever, and we are alone.

Live our lives, lacking anything better to do. Devise reason later.

Born from oblivion, bear children as hellbound as ourselves, go into oblivion.

There is nothing else.

Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose.

This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God that kills the children, not fate the butchers them, nor destiny that feeds them to the dogs.

It’s us.

Only us."

(actually, the whole scene was changed a tad for reasons I still can't fathom...)
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 08-Mar-2009 at 05:50 AM.

United States
    I wasn't too thrilled with Veidt either, he seemed to go in and out of having an accent mid sentance. It was very distracting. I pretty much agree with you on the other things.
    Check out my dvd collection @ http://jonas190.dvdaf.com/owned

My Gamertag is reculse189

Join me on Kongregate, its a cool game site
    http://www.kongregate.com?referrer=Jonas190

Kazakhstan
    Well it's not the end of the world, but it's a bit bemusing. It's a bit like a Dawn remake where the bikers don't turn up & the zombies just suddenly have the power to break down the doors.

By the way, read watchmen! It's very good, like a lot of Moore's stuff it has tremendous depth & even throwaway remarks and asides within the comic indicate Moore has done a lot of homework.

Weird fact, he's Patrick Moore's nephew!

For any US readers, Patrick Moore is this guy who looks like Kuato from Total Recall who has presented a late night astronomy show since the 50s or 60s. He's a legend, me and my flatmate Joe are painting the telescope black when he dies
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE