Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: TWD 4x01 "30 Days Without an Accident" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

Dead

United States
    I'd find a bike lock or a simple padlock and chain on one of the supply runs. Keep my cell locked at all times.

Seems like writers these days have a serious lack of imagination.
    Last edited by babomb; 18-Oct-2013 at 07:22 AM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by babomb View Post
    I agree that i would want my cell locked. But i'd also want the key to unlock it. I wouldn't want to be locked in a cell where someone else had the key, outside the cell.
    A plank of wood to stop the door sliding unless it was removed. Something wrapped around/between the bars to the door sliding open. A zombie would be too dim to solve the "lock", but a human could move the "lock" in seconds...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Twitching

United States
    For the record,
    When I mentioned Anthrax, I was referring to the regularly-occurring kind...that normally becomes evident in Livestock and then gets passed to people in contact with, or close proximity to said livestock. Nothing weaponized certainly. My overarching point was that a conventional disease growing into an epidemic inside the close quarters of the prison is VASTLY more likely than the hyper-specialized "Walker Pathogen" suddenly mutating to the extent of making a vector-delivery change. A little research will illustrate just how very, VERY different microbes that survive easily outside biological hosts, and even moreso those that survive without a liquid water medium are from those that can't survive outside host bodies for longer than a very few minutes.

Just to touch on some of the basics: Airborne and long-term persisting pathogens INVARIABLY have either a) A spore-form they are capable of adopting, or b) A relatively very thick membrane surrounding them. By comparison, HIV (for example) is actually extremely conventional when it comes to its extreme fragility outside the body/blood. Water-borne pathogens are sort of the middle-ground between airborne microbes and those utterly dependent on their hosts to survive more than the next few minutes.

Not saying the writers might not be foolish enough to go with some sort of "Walker Pathogen has mutated, and now SOME RANDOM PEOPLE are now suddenly prone to developing post-bite-like symptoms seemingly out of the blue." Just that, biologically speaking, the Prison is a squalid, filthy place that would take thousands of gallons of bleach, steam pressure-washers, or both to render it something that wouldn't be INSTANTLY condemned by the Health Board by modern, pre-Apocalyptic standards. The outdoor, inside-the-fence area of the Prison is far, FAR worse. It's no stretch at all to believe "Gee, a place that had hundreds of rotting bodies lying in the same cells we're now using as bedrooms, AND that had dozens/a few hundred putrid walking corpses stumbling about or laying around in turned out to be rife with the potential for an epidemic. Who would have thought it?"

No need to stretch the boundaries of disbelief-suspension further with some mutation of the pathogen that reanimates the dead. Hell, it's the South. Every year we get a few cases of things thought of as very exotic, like Dengue Fever...and that's in our hygienic no-apocalypse world. Hell, we see a few cases of THE PLAGUE in the US every year. Why do you think dog-kennel/breeding operations are so much stricter in the U.S Southwest/West Coast? Because of the Plague-carrying fleas thick in prairie dog communities.

My point, however far afield I've wandered, is that a) The Prison Population is NOT experiencing ideal nutrition, b) The Prison and its grounds are potentially thick with any # of Infectious Agents, that would naturally strike the young, old, pregnant and already immuno-compromised first. c) Constant stress, also known as distress, is a known depressant of the immune system. d) The Prison's water supply cannot, due to a variety of circumstances, be verified as sanitary. Even if they've scrupulously checked all the internal plumbing they can access, the water is coming from somewhere, ergo it's passing through the same unclean conditions in which the Prison Population lives.

A solid argument for conventional disease-based epidemic in the offing I believe.

Ireland
    I really hope it is just a case fo something conventional, as you put it, and not a mutation of the zombie virus.

The reason is that changing the lore, or the abilities of something and that includes the virus at the centre of the show is just simply a bad idea, if you aren't prepared or cannot follow through on the logic of such changes, and having the virus mutate is a serious impact on the show's future path.

It's the reason I hate the zombie super smell idea, because it gets shown up as stupid later in the series, because it's not a trait that was carried on. For instance, the zombies could smell Rick and Glen, in the rain I might add, when their guts were getting washed away in series one. But they couldn't smell the entire group when they were hidng under cars at the beginning of the second series. The trailer zombie also couldn't smell Andrea and he was in really close proximity to her. They also couldn't smell Michone and the kid in the bar in the third series ina closed environment.

The only problem with the Anthrax route, is that it is relatively rare in swine. It's much more common in cattle, sheep and goats and it's rather easy to spot for humans tending the animals as there is usually severe respiratory problems, blood in their waste and bleeding from the nose and mouth. It's also easy to spot after death, so if Herschel is any way good as a vet, he'd see it a mile away.

Of course, it could be something else.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    So we're not seeing a link with sick pigs and sick Harry Potters then?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    It's the reason I hate the zombie super smell idea.
    That bugged the hell out of me!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Dead

United States
    Then the problem of lightning fast reanimation comes into play. Lightning fast as in WWZ style. Harry Potter changed before his body was fully settled onto the ground.
    Also, if there's no connection between harry potter and the dead swine, then we're into plot devices that are there for no better reason than to mislead us.

I really hope the writers are putting more effort into things than this. But my faith in them is at an all time low already.

Administrator

England
    Harry Potter changed before his body was fully settled onto the ground.
    Where did you get that from?

I assumed there was a good delay before him keeling over, and him opening his eyes?
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I wouldn't say "lightning fast" reanimation ... plus as we've seen throughout the series, reanimation times vary a great deal, depending on the circumstances in which the person died.

England
    Greg Nicotero confirmed on a podcast today that there is a new type of zombie linked to the bleeding eyes and fast reanimation
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Dead

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Where did you get that from?

I assumed there was a good delay before him keeling over, and him opening his eyes?
    What's a good delay? 10 seconds? Long enough for the camera to pan from his legs to his head? As soon as his head turned completely to the side he was reanimated.

Super Moderator

United States
    What's a good delay? 10 seconds? Long enough for the camera to pan from his legs to his head? As soon as his head turned completely to the side he was reanimated.

I'm going to have to re-watch the ending. Didn't they cutaway to Rick for a bit after the character fell in the shower, then came back to him later to do the full pan and have him open his eyes, or am I misremembering it?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Twitching

United States
    Just read an interview w/ Nicotero over at Bloody Disgusting,
    The long and the short of it is: They as writers haven't even defined the actual pathogen behind Patrick's death and the bloody-eyed Walker at the fence. In his words "We've left it vague, so it could be related to the Walker outbreak, or it could be something that brings people down simply because they can't take antibiotics, like Swine Flu or something." And: "It's a new threat, because it can kill you before you even have time to tell someone you're sick. So that's a Ticking Time Bomb waiting to go off." (End quotes)

So it's not QUITE as bad as I feared, but it's still a bad choice because the unknown nature of the epidemic (which they mean to be fear-instilling AS an unknown) is undoubtedly going to come off ambiguous in a manner which they do NOT intend, and there's every reason to believe that ambiguity can/will detract from the focus on the internal nature of the threat in the Prison. Especially given that they have more than one ambiguity-laden plotline in the works. Such as how Rick will react to his placid way of life, and the attendant complacency exemplified by his having to be ordered to take his gun on trips outside the fence, suddenly being shattered all over again and thrusting him and everyone else back into the moment-to-moment struggle for survival.

Which isn't even taking the ramping up external threat of the Walkers into account:

The previews showing Rick & the others desperately struggling to hold up the collapsing perimeter fences now make a lot more sense. As this epidemic reduces available manpower for the fence crews (either directly, as victims of the epidemic. Or indirectly, as more and more people are tasked with caring for the sick and dying.) the ever-increasing Walker pressure on the fences will simply cause them to fail structurally once the arriving Walkers are no longer being eliminated almost as soon as they reach the fence. More clearly: If the # of Walkers we ALREADY saw at the fences during the premier weren't being eliminated rapidly and en masse their #'s are ALREADY sufficient, given a few hours of relentless pressing forward to bring the fences down. Yes, the fenced gates bordering the paved prison courtyard are tougher, but are still vulnerable to the same mob-pressing as the outer fences. It's only a matter of degree/a longer interval of time before those were brought down too.

I just wish they'd gone with a clear distinction of regular disease coupled with malnutrition and stress as the cause of the epidemic.

Administrator

England
    Falls down...
    Cut away to water running out... Implying passing of time...
    Cut away to montage of prison... Implying passing of time...
    Cut back to Harry Potter with contacts... and respiratory problems...
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Yeah, I really think we should at least let them attempt to explain what up in the next couple of future episodes before we collectively say the show's gone down the crapper, geeez.
    I think this new revelation will give us something new to chew on, so to speak.
    Also, 16.1 million viewers for the premiere?
    Boom.
    The only problem I have with the show is I still have to wait a week between episodes. That's gotta be a good thing. I'm not a mindless lover of the show, I believe, even though I've been one of those "Hey the show is great and the zombies look sweeet" guys probably mentioned earlier. I did have a gripe when they did all the super smell crap.
    I'm usually just pondering what will happen next...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    Am I the only one who thought it was odd how everyone seems to be sleeping with the cell doors open? I mean, I'm sure its to show how complacent they have become over the past several months, but I don't think I'd ever sleep with my "rooms" cell door unlocked.
    I thought about that and what I would do instead. I think I'd prefer sleeping in one of the watch towers, somehow blocking the way up for the night. It may just be my ape brain at work, but being higher up always seems safer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Falls down...
    Cut away to water running out... Implying passing of time...
    Cut away to montage of prison... Implying passing of time...
    Cut back to Harry Potter with contacts... and respiratory problems...
    As long as this apparent virus doesn't reanimate the dead in 10 seconds like in WWZ, I'm okay with it. The 10 second thing is just nutty imo.
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 19-Oct-2013 at 12:23 AM. Reason: edit6
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"