Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: "Rise of the Apes" - Planet of the Apes prequel

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    rewatched this and you can sum it up easily: it leaves you wanting more of it.
    I Really really agree, like neil i forgot i was watching CGI apes, i got really wrapped up in the story and enjoyed it on a level i almost never do with modern movies, to be honest i went into the cinema with quite low expectations, i knew it was getting good reviews and everything but after seeing the 2001 planet of the apes and still scarred from romeros cinematic outings, i was going in with low hopes and i have to say i was very pleasantly surprised. There is still hope for modern day film making i guess.

Administrator

England
    ^^

Yep, it had quite a few problems, but overall I thought it did a pretty solid job as a modern day scifi flick. If they can do a sequel of the same quality or better!? Fab!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    I Think it did really well and this is coming from someone who usually cringes at modern movies and thinks a great night in is in front of the horror channel on sky, home of some of the corniest, zero budget old school horror movies ever, which is what i love.

Anyway, rise of the planet of the apes was fantastic, i really felt for ceaser at times and was genuinely happy at the ending, i got wrapped up in it that much. Talking about it with my girlfriend tonight and shes never seen the old planet of the apes movies, only the 2001 trash.. so i immediately bought this

I Sense a marathon coming on this weekend!

England
    I really enjoyed it too,

I loved ceaser for the first half, then as he starts resenting people first when realising he was kind of a pet, and then after his mistreatment at the monkey sanctuary, I found him very sinister and wasn't sure if he was going to become a full on bad guy, then at the end he was great again when he got what he wanted and it turned out he wasnt on an anti-human vengeance murder spree after all but just wanted to lead his fellow apes to freedom. However most of his fellow apes weren't so human friendly, and I guess thats where the story will head if they decide to make a sequel...

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Apparently the theatrical ending wasn't the original ending shot. While i've got no problems with the ending we saw, this ending is much more in the style of the original films....

Fox's president of post production recently revealed:

"The original ending had Franco’s character being shot to death by armed humans who have chased the apes into the forest. The ape horde descends on the people and tears them to pieces, a reversal of the opening scene where Bright Eyes is captured in the jungle.

The ending we wound up getting was shot just a month prior to the release of the film, which is incredible considering the amount of CG work that needed to be completed in such a short time frame.

Hopefully this option will be available in an alternate cut on blu ray. I would like to see how it plays out...
    Last edited by bassman; 04-Oct-2011 at 12:31 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Apparently the theatrical ending wasn't the original ending shot. While i've got no problems with the ending we saw, this ending is much more in the style of the original films....

Fox's president of post production recently revealed:

"The original ending had Franco’s character being shot to death by armed humans who have chased the apes into the forest. The ape horde descends on the people and tears them to pieces, a reversal of the opening scene where Bright Eyes is captured in the jungle.

The ending we wound up getting was shot just a month prior to the release of the film, which is incredible considering the amount of CG work that needed to be completed in such a short time frame.

Hopefully this option will be available in an alternate cut on blu ray. I would like to see how it plays out...
    Would be cool to see that!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Saw it, loved it. Want more.

United States
    No Charlton Heston = no thanks from me.

Hey, I know it's a bullshit response. But there was a time that Hollywood was comprised of REAL men like Heston, Burt Lancaster, John Wayne, men who were not afraid to be real men. This era has passed us by unfortunately, now we have what in return?

I'm a tremendous fan of the Strauss-Howe generational theory, for me films in this era cannot and will not compare to what has come before us. Especially remakes of the classics.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post

Hey, I know it's a bullshit response. But there was a time that Hollywood was comprised of REAL men like Heston, Burt Lancaster, John Wayne, men who were not afraid to be real men. This era has passed us by unfortunately, now we have what in return?

I'm a tremendous fan of the Strauss-Howe generational theory, for me films in this era cannot and will not compare to what has come before us. Especially remakes of the classics.

j.p.
    The Heston version is a classic!

But the new one has its +ves too! There is an alternative ending for it I've heard that I'd like to see! I believe it was filmed!
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    there was a time that Hollywood was comprised of REAL men like Heston, Burt Lancaster, John Wayne, men who were not afraid to be real men.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Hey, I know it's a bullshit response.
    Very much so.

Andy Serkis has already signed on for the sequel. Great news, imo. As strange as it sounds for a CG character, he really brought the story to life. Can't wait to see where they go from here.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Very much so.

Andy Serkis has already signed on for the sequel. Great news, imo. As strange as it sounds for a CG character, he really brought the story to life. Can't wait to see where they go from here.
    Yep, will it be a character based drama, or all out war leading towards the annihilation of the humans!?
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    What the hell is a "real" man? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Just saw it. Loved it. I was a big Planet of the Apes fan as a kid. I had all five of the films and watched them on a regular basis. Tim Burton's remake was a bit of a letdown, but this one is almost the opposite of that. A letup!

United States
    just buzzing through to say that i saw this and was pretty impressed. so much that i rewatched it with my girlfriend two nights after my initial viewing and then recommended it to my brothers during christmas dinner.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    What the hell is a "real" man? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
    according to urban dictionary:

"Real Men" is a phrase which literally means "Douche Bags Like Me" (or singular - "A Douche Bag Like Me") and is generally used by men who do not realize they are douche bags. With connections to 70's homo eroticism involving moustaches, "strong" men who show only anger and no other emotion and hide behind firearms and a myriad of other insecure in denial trump cards. A bastion of defence for insecure men who feel the need to impress that there are 'real' men and others who are inferior to them. As though this knowledge tangentially associates them with being a 'real' man.