Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Keeping The Faith

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    What?
    Peter ..hmmm..yes... Fran/2D cutout/blonde...tough brake.....
    Once Bitten, Forever Smitten.

United States
    I thought Fran was a good character and probably second to Peter in being rock solid in the group. She was definitely tough. She was the one who brought the least skills to the table yet worked with what she had the best. It was her idea to learn to fly the chopper. It was her urging that caused them to make preparations to leave the mall and move on. She was an emotional ground to them. She helped keep flyboy level headed.

If we are going to contend that Land had a happy ending because Riley and company lived and further contend that that proves their toughness, then inarguably Fran was just as tough. She lived through much worse odds than Riley with far fewer resources and was just as alive at the end.

If you want to bash someone look at Roger. He was trained for combat. He got killed while doing what he was trained to do being overconfident and stupid. Fran lived through being left alone with no weapons against a zombie. Roger got bitten while armed to the teeth with a pair of trucks at his disposal. Lame.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    I thought Fran was a good character and probably second to Peter in being rock solid in the group. She was definitely tough. She was the one who brought the least skills to the table yet worked with what she had the best. It was her idea to learn to fly the chopper. It was her urging that caused them to make preparations to leave the mall and move on. She was an emotional ground to them. She helped keep flyboy level headed.

If we are going to contend that Land had a happy ending because Riley and company lived and further contend that that proves their toughness, then inarguably Fran was just as tough. She lived through much worse odds than Riley with far fewer resources and was just as alive at the end.

If you want to bash someone look at Roger. He was trained for combat. He got killed while doing what he was trained to do being overconfident and stupid. Fran lived through being left alone with no weapons against a zombie. Roger got bitten while armed to the teeth with a pair of trucks at his disposal. Lame.
    I completely agree with your view on Roger first and foremost. At the age I was when I first watched this film, I naturally assumed that Roger was the main protagonist; being white, with a schoolboy sort of charm, I automatically assumed he was the 'main guy' with Peter being the secondary 'brawny' character. Like Deliverance, you typically go for the most main-stream kind of hero character to lead the group to victory only to discover that they lose their footing along the way in GAR titles. This was one of the thing's I loved about Dawn the most, although GAR's pattern of Black hero character wore thin after Night & Dawn. When it came to Fran, although she kept the Flymeister in check, it seemed to be more motherly instinct than personal initiative; after all, what kind of father figure did Flyboy cut?

Just as a little side-step from the current discussion...

I came across something maybe GAR had pondered when he had thought up Big Daddy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...in_Didnt_Know/

It goes along the same lines as Planet Of The Apes; where instead of evolution (natural selection) you have a brief 'missing link' (mutation) that becomes it's own specie. Although I don't want this to become part of the GAR story line, I wonder if he was thinking upon the same lines when he created it?
    Last edited by ItsJustaScratch; 27-Jan-2009 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Once Bitten, Forever Smitten.

Undisclosed
    Gar always had strong females in his films

United States
    well. . usually. . . .

Last edited by clanglee; 10-Feb-2009 at 12:30 AM.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    What about Barbra's...... hair? It was strong, right? ...I'm a fool.

Undisclosed
    One can only hope the new film will have stronger characters than Diary did. Apart from the professor ("mornings and mirrors, I despise them") who was so over the top it became really entertaining, there were mostly forgettable characters in that film. I really liked Riley, Charlie and Slack in Land. Stereotypes perhaps, but classic Romero heroes in my mind. Criminally underrated film that. I'd be more than happy if 'Island...' (or whatever) had some of those larger than life characters in it instead of these 'realistic' tweens.
    BTW, when I read about the new island setting I couldn't help but think of the original Day script and it's opening scenes? Here's hoping George recycles some of those. That would be awesome.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    BTW, when I read about the new island setting I couldn't help but think of the original Day script and it's opening scenes? Here's hoping George recycles some of those. That would be awesome.

IMO, from land on that's all he's been trying to do to the point of forcing it. Perhaps it's why these films don't seem quite right.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    IMO, from land on that's all he's been trying to do to the point of forcing it. Perhaps it's why these films don't seem quite right.
    You think he recycled scenes from the original Day script and put them into Diary? How so?

Undisclosed

Characters

Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    One can only hope the new film will have stronger characters than Diary did.
    I agree. The characters in Diary were rather boring and definitely forgettable, with the exception of the crazy Amish man Sam and that Professor, who was so out of place it was sort of ridiculous. The characters in the other flicks, even Land, were memorable and you actually cared what happened to them, whether it be someone like Rhodes who you really hoped would die or someone like Peter who you cheer for.

United States
    The crazy Amish guy was great. I was hoping he would survive.