Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Most overated horror movies...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    I have to agree with Neil, I just didn't find The Shining very scary or exciting. It was a nice looking film, but it just seemed kind of dull, cold and sterile, like so many of Kubrick's films.

In fact, the only one of his films I really enjoyed was 2001, and then only on second viewing after having read the Arthur C. Clarke novel.
    Clockwork Orange? Full Metal Jacket?!?!?! Really? No love for those films?
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    it just seemed kind of dull, cold and sterile, like so many of Kubrick's films.

Private Krakers, you must think you're some kind of comedian!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post

Private Krakers, you must think you're some kind of comedian!
    Full metal Jacket is the type of movie that if people don't like it I seriously wonder about them.

And it doesn't matter if the person doesn't like war movies. That's no excuse.

I can't stand sappy romance dramas, however, I have to acknowledge that Titanic is one of the greatest films of all time.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    I have to acknowledge that Titanic is one of the greatest films of all time.

Don't you mean disaster film of all time?

I only like Titanic from Chapter 26 on (original DVD release)

However, only JC could put a shoot out in the middle of a movie about a ship sinking into freezing N. Atlantic waters.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Titanic is a good film. The quicker guys can hang up their "i'm too macho" hats and accept it, the better.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Titanic is a good film. The quicker guys can hang up their "i'm too macho" hats and accept it, the better.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Perhaps. I just get tired of people claiming "Oh TITANIC didn't need the love story!". WTF else were they gonna do for 2-3 hours? Besides....EVERY SINGLE ONE of James Cameron's films are love stories. Think about it.

United States

Perhaps. I just get tired of people claiming "Oh TITANIC didn't need the love story!". WTF else were they gonna do for 2-3 hours? Besides....EVERY SINGLE ONE of James Cameron's films are love stories. Think about it.
    Aliens?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Don't you mean disaster film of all time?

No, I think I got it right the first time.

Just like I don't Put the original dawn in a genre when I talk about it. That film is one of the all time greats as well.

So is Land of the Dead.

GOTCHA!!

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Aliens?
    Whaaa? You don't see the love story in Aliens? Newt? Ripley? Mother, Daughter?

The entire second half of the film hinges on that relationship...

United States
    Whaaa? You don't see the love story in Aliens? Newt? Ripley? Mother, Daughter?

The entire second half of the film hinges on that relationship...
    I thought about that as soon as I posted. . .but I don't see that as a love story. There is some love there. . but not the kinda love that you think of when you think of a love story. Same thing with T2. Besides. . they are just elements thrown into the Action story to widen it's scope. I would not say that the movie Aliens is about a woman trying to protect the little girl that she loves. It's about a group of people trying to survive. That's like saying Dawn of the Dead is a buddy picture because the first half focuses largely on the relationship between Roger and Peter. Meh. . . I think you're stetching my friend.

Dying

Undisclosed
    Wow . . . .no. I didn't get that at all. Jack is a regular husband and father with a severe drinking problem. It controls him even when he isn't drinking. I felt that he loves his family but he is overstessed and he takes it out on those he loves. The house works on him to the point where he may not love his family anymore. . . .but that isn't the way it started out. Not the way I see it. . . . . .That is the one main failing of Jack Nicholson as Jack Torrance. Nicholson does crazy really well. But he portrayed Torrance as somewhat one dimensional. There was no real breakdown or change in the character. Nicholson played him like "a little crazy to balls to the wall/spoon in his ass crazy" So I guess I see where you got what you did from the movie. . . but I don't think that was the intent, just a failing in the portrayal.
    I understand what you're saying. The next time I watch it I might end up seeing it your way, but that's what I like about Kubricks flicks (besides the awesome visuals) there aren't any easy answers.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I thought about that as soon as I posted. . .but I don't see that as a love story. There is some love there. . but not the kinda love that you think of when you think of a love story. Same thing with T2. Besides. . they are just elements thrown into the Action story to widen it's scope. I would not say that the movie Aliens is about a woman trying to protect the little girl that she loves. It's about a group of people trying to survive. That's like saying Dawn of the Dead is a buddy picture because the first half focuses largely on the relationship between Roger and Peter. Meh. . . I think you're stetching my friend.
    I can see what you're saying. If you want to put the mother/daughter thing aside you can, but I think it's right up in your face. All of the decisions made from the time she meets Newt are as a mother protecting her "daughter". We would have never seen the queen if Ripley said "fuck it...kids dead" and left with Bishop and Hicks.

Not to mention if you watch the extended cut, the mother theme plays even more heavily. The scene about her real daughter's death and all.

If you ask me....Aliens is very much a love story about children and doing what you have to in order to protect them.

And T2 is a love story between the boy and a father figure. Seriously.

United States

Perhaps. I just get tired of people claiming "Oh TITANIC didn't need the love story!". WTF else were they gonna do for 2-3 hours?
    That's simple, sink the ship in real time. The love story is what brought that film to the bottom of the ocean in the first place.

The only good parts to Titanic where when the ship hit the ice 'till when it finally sank. The rest is all BS that wasn't necessary. If you're going to name it "titanic" make it about the titanic. If you're going to make the movie about the love story, call it "Bullshit Love Story on the Titanic"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    That's like saying Gone With The Wind should have been Atlanta burning for 4 hours....

If you have no way to connect with the characters, you don't care when they're in danger. Through Jack and Rose's perspective we get to "know" several of the passengers on the ship. Then when their time comes, its all the more hard to take.