United States
    About effing time.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Episode 2 is out tomorrow for the 360. Whoopee

edit
    Looks like Friday not tomorrow for the PS3 and PC
    Now, it'll be interesting to see what people think of it!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    About ruddy time! I'll be interested to see how/if your actions start affecting the plot in a larger way. I really enjoyed episode one, so naturally I wanna get in on this.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    well that took nigh on what...three months?

F*ck that. Of course I'll get the other eps just to see how they pan out but I won't be holding my breath to get each next episode.

Episodic games don't work it seems - Alan Wake was a bit of an abortion too, if I remember correctly? Not sure this is the way the industry should go...It's devaluing good games.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    About effing time.
    DITTO!

Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    Episodic games don't work it seems - Alan Wake was a bit of an abortion too, if I remember correctly?
    I don't know about that. Alan Wake was a great game (aside from some minor technical glitches) and I've even revisited it quite a few times since my original run-through. Not sure what everyone else thought about it (although if I remember correctly, MZ liked it despite a few issues he had with it), but I really dug AW and even AW's American Nightmare.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 27-Jun-2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Blimey, it's been three months since episode one? Didn't know it had been that long!

As for "episodic gaming" sucking, look no further than the fact - five years on - we're still waiting for Half-Life 2: Episode 3!

Alan Wake, though, is not an episodic game at all. It's a complete game - you buy the disc, you get the whole game. They released two DLCs, and they then did American Nightmare as an XBLA spin-off, but in no way is it "episodic". They do have the 'TV show DVD boxset' idea going whereby you have six 'episodes' (or chapters, or levels, or whatever you fancy), but yeah - not a case of "episodic gaming".

My opinion of Alan Wake? I loved it (as did Danny). There are a few issues with it, sure, but I absolutely adored it. I've been trading in a bunch of games recently - even some excellent titles (such as Red Dead Redemption), but I won't be trading in Alan Wake (I have the Collector's Edition) as I dig it so much. I've not played American Nightmare yet - I'm not sure if my new Windows 7 PC could really handle it (it was never intended to be a game playing rig) ... ideally they'd release it on-disc for the 360 (like what happened with RDR: Undead Nightmare). I'd certainly like to play it!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Alan Wake, though, is not an episodic game at all. It's a complete game - you buy the disc, you get the whole game. They released two DLCs, and they then did American Nightmare as an XBLA spin-off, but in no way is it "episodic". They do have the 'TV show DVD boxset' idea going whereby you have six 'episodes' (or chapters, or levels, or whatever you fancy), but yeah - not a case of "episodic gaming".
    Ah, yes, you have a point there. Not really "episodic" in the true sense of the word even though the DLC's sorta continue the game. It's not like it was put out like "The Green Mile" serial novel was when Stephen King originally released it (one book per month, each was about 100 pages and continued the story).

Still a kick-ass game, though.

And MZ - wtf!? You're trading in RDR? Are you nuts?!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Ah, yes, you have a point there. Not really "episodic" in the true sense of the word even though the DLC's sorta continue the game. It's not like it was put out like "The Green Mile" serial novel was when Stephen King originally released it (one book per month, each was about 100 pages and continued the story).

Still a kick-ass game, though.

And MZ - wtf!? You're trading in RDR? Are you nuts?!
    I'd had a damn good many hours out of RDR and played it through twice, and I figured I probably wasn't going to play it a third time - even though it is indeed an excellent game - plus I got almost a tenner for it. I still have RDR: Undead Nightmare, but I want to trade too (but the prices going around at the moment aren't much cop, so I'm holding onto it in case the prices rise again). Similarly, I'd had more than 200 hours out of GTA IV (seriously), and I figured I'd covered that pretty well with two play throughs and endless hours of titting about - and I got eleven quid for that - a five year old game - which was pretty darn rad.

Better that someone else gets some joy out of the games I've traded in, rather than them just sitting on the shelf not getting played, and me not getting any added cash to buy a bunch of stuff I've been after for ages (such as getting caught up on TWD trade paperback volumes).

Administrator

England
    So, anyone tried this long over due second episode yet?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Better that someone else gets some joy out of the games I've traded in, rather than them just sitting on the shelf not getting played, and me not getting any added cash to buy a bunch of stuff I've been after for ages (such as getting caught up on TWD trade paperback volumes).
    Such a generous man. I can understand what you're saying though. I tend to end up keeping everything I buy for my gaming systems, even though lord knows I probably won't ever play any of those older games again. At least not for another 10-15 years, at which point I'll probably pull out the ol' system and give a few games a whirl for nostalgia. I do that with my Atari 2600 and my Sega Genesis every so often.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Not yet, I'm waiting for the PC version, which I believe comes out tomorrow. C'mon, FRIDAY! You're taking too long to get here!

England
    Its excellent. Got 2 saves from episode 1 running at the same time and there is quite a bit of variation to the scenes and interactions. Basic storyline is still the same.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Undisclosed
    Beat it last night. Anyone have questions?

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Blimey, it's been three months since episode one? Didn't know it had been that long!

As for "episodic gaming" sucking, look no further than the fact - five years on - we're still waiting for Half-Life 2: Episode 3!

My opinion of Alan Wake? I loved it (as did Danny). There are a few issues with it, sure, but I absolutely adored it. I've been trading in a bunch of games recently - even some excellent titles (such as Red Dead Redemption), but I won't be trading in Alan Wake (I have the Collector's Edition) as I dig it so much. I've not played American Nightmare yet - I'm not sure if my new Windows 7 PC could really handle it (it was never intended to be a game playing rig) ... ideally they'd release it on-disc for the 360 (like what happened with RDR: Undead Nightmare). I'd certainly like to play it!
    Interesting - I only said that because I thought I read on here that it was an episodic game - and that there were problems with the DLC not being released in a timely fashion - seems i mis-remembered, so apologies...

I've never played AW so can't comment on it as an actual game, but it seems AW is not the idealogy to compare TWD to...

Time will tell on TWD - review ep2 you lot!!! damnit!!
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Such a generous man. I can understand what you're saying though. I tend to end up keeping everything I buy for my gaming systems, even though lord knows I probably won't ever play any of those older games again. At least not for another 10-15 years, at which point I'll probably pull out the ol' system and give a few games a whirl for nostalgia. I do that with my Atari 2600 and my Sega Genesis every so often.
    Or Sega Mega Drive as it was known over here - I have a Mega Drive II, which I got for Xmas 1993, and I still have it to this day with all the games I built up over a few years of playing it heavily. I haven't plugged it in in a long old while, but a couple of years ago I did and had a bit of an old school tour around some of the classics. Ahhh, memories ... I certainly won't be getting rid of it anytime soon, if ever.

I know what you mean though - I'm a bit of a hoarder too - I have some films on DVD for example, that are utter shite, but I'm highly unlikely to trade them in or anything. I've been forcing myself to not be so 'hoarder-ish' of late - putting out old paperbacks and hardbacks that I won't read again to charity shops (they do a roaring trade in selling used books, especially in our town, which must have a dozen charity shops dotted around less than a square mile of town, lol. Then I discovered a good way to trade in my 360 games that I wasn't using anymore, and I've racked up a good amount of cash from them too - I think I've traded in like 25 of them now.

I've still got a big collection of PC games, mind. Can't find a good place to trade those in ... fuck Music Magpie, before anyone suggests it though ... that company looks shady to me (they don't send your stuff back if it's "not accepted" from what I read on their site, and they charge you for postage IIRC).

Where were we? Oh yeah - TWD episode 2 - aye, I need to play it for the PC too.

Glad to hear there's a good range of divergence coming up - I too have two saved games (one where I do my very best, and natural instincts to be a good guy, and one where I go against my instincts and act like a total twat, and save all the opposite people).

United States
    I too have two saved games (one where I do my very best, and natural instincts to be a good guy, and one where I go against my instincts and act like a total twat, and save all the opposite people).
    I think all of us ended up doing that, didn't we? The first play-through, I played exactly how I would've if I were in the situation. The second time through, however, I played the complete asshole route, and to be honest? It was a hell of a lot of fun!

*edited to add: MZ - yeah, the "Mega Drive" - I'll never understand why they just didn't call it the Mega Drive or the Genesis everywhere. I mean, why change the name in different countries? Just seems weird. Regardless, I was a total slave to my Sega. Damn you Sonic the Hedgehog!
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 28-Jun-2012 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Sonic the Bacon Hedgehog