Page 8 of 49 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: World War Z (film)

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchified View Post
    Is it just me, or does it sound like she's asking Brad Pitt to be a prostitute?

I mean an actual hooker, by the way, not the whoring that his career path has done.
    No, it's just you

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Wow! Coincidence!

Got some friends over tonight from a town south of us call Tunbridge Wells.

In the middle of the even one of them said, "Hey! Brad Pitt is going to be filming in Tunbridge Wells!"

To which I said, "Not, World War Z?"

"Yes! How did you know!"

http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/news/Pit...l/article.html
    Even better! Turns out my friend works opposite the place in question
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    It appears that Brad Pitt is trying to do a remake and reimaging of Seven Samurai/Magnificient Seven/ Inglorious Basterds set with world full of zombies. Truly pathetic. I hope this movie is the Cutththroat Island of his production company.

The bigger the names and bigger the budget attached to a film, the more dumbed down it gets to appeal to the lowest common denominator, i.e. the american idiot/dancing with the hasbeens fans who haven't even cracked open a book since they were forced to in high school. MBAs (morons of backstabbing and asskissing) and marketing departments have become the malignant cancer of all U.S. industries.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Full agreement with you sir.
    "Muffins?" - D. H.
    Not now, Derpy.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Well as zombie fans you should be emailing paramount and throwing a shit fit.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    I just logged onto HPOTD for the first time in months and saw the headline piece about WWZ being butchered and felt I'd pass along strong reassurance that. . . using the term butchered is being too kind.

I've read two of JMS's drafts and a budget draft by Matthew Carnahan and this project has been pretty much doomed from the start. JMS's were definitely closer to the tone of the novel, but I was never in love with them. There's a strange desire to tie the narrator directly into one of the elements of the novel, and it works but its still a bit eye-rolling. Carnahan's draft, the version that they're putting to screen, is nothing like the novel.

Here's a weird little tidbit that I hope gets lost in the transition-- The zombies are more akin to Return of the Living Dead than anything Romero, with the odd decision to make them completely mute. So no moaning, no groaning, the only noise they make is the shattering of their teeth as they try to bite down. Oh, head shots don't kill them either, it slows them down but they're still after you.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Zooks. If that's true, it's the last nail in the coffin for me.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnsrog View Post
    Here's a weird little tidbit that I hope gets lost in the transition-- The zombies are more akin to Return of the Living Dead than anything Romero, with the odd decision to make them completely mute. So no moaning, no groaning, the only noise they make is the shattering of their teeth as they try to bite down. Oh, head shots don't kill them either, it slows them down but they're still after you.
    How is any of this in the least bit "World War Z"?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    How is any of this in the least bit "World War Z"?
    Maybe they should rename it World War Y - as in why are they even bothering...

This is starting to make Dawn 04 look like a shot for shot remake!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by rancid carcass View Post
    this is starting to make dawn 04 look like a shot for shot remake!

lol!
    -Carl Sagan

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Also agreed. Perhaps... Perhaps zombie films will never be as good as they were back in '04 ever again... Aww, I'm all depressed now...
    <Heard in distance> "Open up Mr. Mailbox, it's time for your breakfast!"
    Dawwww! Oh Derpy, you know just how to cheer me up!
    Last edited by blind2d; 05-Jun-2011 at 01:08 AM. Reason: derp

Undisclosed
    yeah piss on that!
    I SMELL SOME POO...

Twitching

United States
    Not a surprise sadly,
    I've never allowed myself the tiniest subatomic particle of hope that Brad Pitt being associated with the adaptation of any high-quality zombie work to the big screen was EVER anything but doomed to a Half-star rating and a bottomed-out score on Rotten Tomatoes, and one of the shortest theater runs of all time.

Hearing the zombies are going to be Return-esque? Forget nail in the coffin. That's the world's largest earthmover dropping 1,000 tons of dirt on this project. Zombies that can't be destroyed via head-trauma are one of the all-time-lamest movie monsters. They transcend even the worst examples of Slasher-villain franchise sequels, because at least Jason/Freddy/Michael Myers can be knocked down, temporarily incapacitated, or otherwise effectively resisted. Return only worked because its a comedy. Each and every attempt at a "serious" sequel resulted in ever more awful pieces of Screen-Puke.

The entire shape of the last 15% of WWZ-as-normal is 100% unusable, non-adaptable with invincible zombies. No epic political rallying of humanity, no great push from the Rockies eastward to reclaim the White Zones....nothing. Just, as in every Return movie, a foreseen Humanity-loses-oriented ending...well, with one and a half exceptions, but you all know what I mean.

Yea, if non-headshot zombies make it to the finished product, this will be another -Z-grade, worse-than-bad-made-for-SyFy Channel movie shit.

Anyone disagree?

Dying

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    Yea, if non-headshot zombies make it to the finished product, this will be another -Z-grade, worse-than-bad-made-for-SyFy Channel movie shit.

Anyone disagree?
    Yes, for one reason. What you just described sounds BETTER than this attempt at World War Z.

Sharktopus vs. MegaCroc vs. Zombies... now that's a movie.

Undisclosed
    I don't know how an author can sell the movie rights to his book and not even retain some amount of oversight in the story/script, that is unless the whole zombie books thing was to make a quick buck.

Just think if Kirkman had been approached by Brad Pitt to make a Walking Dead movie and did the same just gimmee the money approach that Brooks did. It would have ended up being a reimaging/remake of Yojimbo/Last Man Standing with Brad Pitt in the lead role as a nomad ex-sherrif survivor in a zombie apocalypse who gathers together a rag tag group of deputies to stop a gang war among the living. But things aren't always as they seem! Don't miss the action zombedy of the summmer!

Dying

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
    I don't know how an author can sell the movie rights to his book and not even retain some amount of oversight in the story/script, that is unless the whole zombie books thing was to make a quick buck.
    Max Brooks has repeatedly said that he wanted nothing to do with his book being made into a movie for multiple reasons, mainly because he realized that a book and a movie weren't the same type of media. Also, the "whole zombie books" thing as you put it wasn't to make money; Brooks has been a huge fan of the genre since he was little and he has very definite opinions on how the genre should be (YouTube his answer as to what he thinks of fast zombies for an example).