View Poll Results: Which do you prefer more?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Day

36 83.72%
  • Land

7 16.28%
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Day or Land

United States
    Geez I never realized that people felt this much much hatred to Land, but then again after seeing it again I think I'm starting to hate it even more myself. I'm actually starting to wonder what the heck was Romero thinking! Also a question to other Land haters, what was it in your opinion that made this film flop so hard?

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Geez I never realized that people felt this much much hatred to Land, but then again after seeing it again I think I'm starting to hate it even more myself. I'm actually starting to wonder what the heck was Romero thinking! Also a question to other Land haters, what was it in your opinion that made this film flop so hard?
    1: Not nearly enough zombies...more like "Land of the Empty Spaces".

2: Big Daddy

3: Characters that I didn't give a sh!t about...didn't love any, didn't hate any, basically didn't give a damn about any of them, didn't care what happened to any of them.

4: Big Daddy

5: Pathetic, weak ending that annoyed the Hell out of me.

6: Big Daddy
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Super Moderator

UK
    7: Rabid insanity.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

The Land Lovers gang is also pretty strong too ... then there's the middlers - the Land Likers.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    1: Not nearly enough zombies...more like "Land of the Empty Spaces".
    Really, I though there were enough

2: Big Daddy
    Why was he smarter than all the other zeds in town..... I don't get that.

3: Characters that I didn't give a sh!t about...didn't love any, didn't hate any, basically didn't give a damn about any of them, didn't care what happened to any of them.
    Charlie was the best out of all of them IMO. Your right I didn't really hate Kaufman myself.

4: Big Daddy
    GRRRRAAAAAAHHHHHHH! Is that how it goes?

5: Pathetic, weak ending that annoyed the Hell out of me.
    I don't mind the ending to be honest.

6: Big Daddy
    Wasn't he suppose to be different in the original script?

United States
    Is there a category for Land-doesn't-quite-hate-but-doesn't-love-and-doesn't-believe-it-is-worthy-of-being-called-Romero-Dead-movie?

England
    Doc, there were nowhere near enough zack's in Land....look at the bus scene in the much hated (by some) Dawn 04....

Jesus H frigging Christ! Hundreds and hundreds of the bastards, that's what land should have delivered, absolute, full-on zombies as far as the eye can see...now think back to when "Rolling Thunder" or what ever it is called is surrounded by about 20 measly zombies....so disapointing man.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    Doc, there were nowhere near enough zack's in Land....look at the bus scene in the much hated (by some) Dawn 04....

Jesus H frigging Christ! Hundreds and hundreds of the bastards, that's what land should have delivered, absolute, full-on zombies as far as the eye can see...now think back to when "Rolling Thunder" or what ever it is called is surrounded by about 20 measly zombies....so disapointing man.
    WOW! that's alot....now that I think about it your right! Even Dawn and Day had more, after seeing some scenes of Land I now realize how few zeds there were! How many were there when they attacked the Green? About only 50-70 if I recall?

United States
    That does it.

I'm motivated enough....I am now going to sit through Land, and count up EVERY SINGLE ZOMBIE in the movie!

I'll bet there aren't even as many around Pittsburgh as there were around one shopping mall in Dawn.

Every one of them...including Cholo!

.....this could take awhile.....

United States
    I remember one time when I tried to count all the zeds in Night....I forgot how many there were.... I should go check....I'm actually starting to wonder if Night had more....

United States
    405 Zombies

That's what I counted in Land.

That's actually giving them the benefit of the doubt. I counted 92 "stragglers" (that would be, every zombie not in Big Daddy's clan).

For Big Daddy's group, I went by the overhead shot of the city streets. I counted 313 black dots (I may be a few off; figure it pretty damned accurate, though). I give the movie the benefit of the doubt there, and counted each dot as an individual zombie (far fewer than 313 were actually shown close-up, I can tell you that).

That's 405, grand total, for Uniontown, the area around Pittsburgh, and all points in-between. Pretty pathetic, when you consider "there's gonna be a thousand zombies in here (a shopping mall)".

More to the point, when you take away the Uniontown Posse, the "entertainment" at Kaufman's, and the reanimated soldiers, you get only 34 zombies in the Pittsburgh metropolitan area. That's where the Bullsh*t Flag gets thrown.

That city should have a moat thousands of dead thick around it.

United States
    thanks for counting them up. aside from the crappy over-acting of eugene clark as big doofus, the total lack of ghouls was enough to leave me sorely disappointed. i bet that there are way more in day and dawn than land....pretty sad that you've gotta include "black dots" to count as zeds...and even then, there are less than 500 in the "land of the dead"

Super Moderator

UK
    Yawn04 - budget = $28 million

Land - budget = $16 million

Yawn04 also had a less troubled production process, because it's popcorn-brained dim-wittery that the studios could see being far more marketable, rather than the thoughtfulness of Land.

Also, Yawn04 takes place at the beginning of an outbreak of RUNNING, SCREAMING, FLYING 'zeds' ... Land takes place 3 YEARS after an outbreak. By that stage zeds would have spread out a lot more, especially with the distinct lack of humans driving cars around amongst exploding gas tankers and crashing helicopters after getting attacked by your husband whom you just shagged in the shower to show the audience you have a meaningful relationship.

Not exactly like-for-like.

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    No Land love-hate thread would be complete without the ignorant money issue and/or Cholo's financial demands. The whole thing was so absurd that it alone kicked the film to "B-movie" status immediately for me. Even a substandard director/writer would know such a ransom would be pointless. There is no valid defense for it, no matter how some might try.
    I was actually embarrased for Romero when I saw Land. I would've never thought that I'd actually be glad when it was over after 90 short, unentertaining minutes. I tried to give it more looks when it came out on DVD and cable, but it just plain sucks.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Yawn04 - budget = $28 million

Land - budget = $16 million

Yawn04 also had a less troubled production process, because it's popcorn-brained dim-wittery that the studios could see being far more marketable, rather than the thoughtfulness of Land.

Also, Yawn04 takes place at the beginning of an outbreak of RUNNING, SCREAMING, FLYING 'zeds' ... Land takes place 3 YEARS after an outbreak. By that stage zeds would have spread out a lot more, especially with the distinct lack of humans driving cars around amongst exploding gas tankers and crashing helicopters after getting attacked by your husband whom you just shagged in the shower to show the audience you have a meaningful relationship.

Not exactly like-for-like.
    Wait.

Flying zombies? Where?

Land had screaming zombies, too. A whole lot of screaming.

And although they didn't run in Land, some came pretty close. Especially Big Daddy. And the "fighting zombies" weren't exactly slow and dead-like. They pumped up and got gangsta like Ron Artest approaching a basketball fan.

United States
    interesting thing i saw at a walmart: they have a 2 disc package with dawn 2004 and land of the dead included...i bet some people would get all pissed about that, bout like some don't like it when they have two types of food touching on their plate at dinner.