View Poll Results: What Should the Group Have Done With Randall?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Execute Him

16 55.17%
  • Release Him further away from the Farm

4 13.79%
  • Release him as a new member of the group

0 0%
  • Keep him under guard for now

7 24.14%
  • Attempt to return or ransom him directly to his group

0 0%
  • Use him as bait for an ambush on this other group of survivors

2 6.90%
  • Other (explain in thread)

0 0%
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: TWD 2x11 "Judge, Jury, Executioner" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

United States
    Dumping Randall farther out defeats the entire purpose of being on the farm in the first place.

If you want to brave 200 miles of journeying to save the life of this guy, why wouldn't you just run the 125-mile gauntlet to Ft. Benning instead?

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    Dumping Randall farther out defeats the entire purpose of being on the farm in the first place.

If you want to brave 200 miles of journeying to save the life of this guy, why wouldn't you just run the 125-mile gauntlet to Ft. Benning instead?
    This is true. The other big problem I have with dropping Randall out in the wilderness is the danger to everyone involved. Let's assume that wherever they go (and they've talked about going further out, after all) it will take a damn bit longer given conditions...that takes two able bodied, probably firearm savvy people off the farm when there is the heightened possibility of attack from this other group, let alone roaming zombies. And the farm feels like it's getting surprisingly light in combat effective people nowadays.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    Here's the thing:
    1) As to the argument that killing Randall paints the group into a corner regarding any potential dealings with Randall's group. Rick & Co. left 3 of their men dead on the ground already (or was it four, my memory isnt terribly sharp regarding last Sunday)...so any damage that's been done by killing members of the other group has already been done.

2) As to taking Randall a long, long way off and dumping him. Besides the already mentioned hazards/difficulties of such a trip there's this: Say they do have to deal with Randall's group at some point. If they can't produce a living breathing Randall, why wouldn't the group Randall belongs to assume that the people who've killed multiple members of their group haven't done away with Randall and buried him in a shallow grave? So as far as painting Rick & Co. into a corner, making Randall "disappear" by dumping him far enough away that he can't find his way back either to the farm or his own group would amount to the exact same thing as shooting him so far as the reaction of his groupmates would be affected.

3) The argument being made against shooting Randall, Ie: That once done, it's something that can't be undone applies with just as much force if you turn the logic around. If Randall isn't killed, and at some point contributes to or outright causes the death of one of "our group"...that's just as final. To me, YES it's a simple question. "Am I willing to tolerate any significant risk to the lives and well-being of my friends and loved ones that is in my power to eliminate? For me, that answer is no, no, a thousand times NO. Yes, the facts as the group knows them don't convict Randall 100% as a confirmed monster...but when it comes to civilization being gone and the responsibility for the lives and safety of the people you care for having become a direct and immediate personal responsibility...circumstancial evidence is enough for me to make the call, BECAUSE there is no positive offsetting factor that increases the safety/well-being of my people in letting him live.

There's a REASON our ancestors lived in small tribes that were constantly at each other's throats. It's the inevitable result of having no umbrella-overwatch to mitigate conflicts of a serious nature between separate social groups. Ie: If a "tribe" of strangers = in number to your people are sighted setting up camp relatively nearby, what stops them from killing you all in your sleep if they're so inclined if you don't do unto them before they do unto you?

Yes, I am talking about abandoning the morality forged in a civilized society. Such a morality is ONLY a positive thing so long as such a society endures. This is the core failing that makes Rick a less effective survivor than Shane, and why Dale would quite realistically have died in the situation he placed himself in. Following sounds of severe distress into the darkness, without even having your weapon in your hands and ready to fire. (Yes, I understand the character was being killed off for out-of-story motives...but if you look at the events leading up to his death, someone in that situation would UNDOUBTEDLY have fared better with a rifle in their hands than barehanded when they went down in a clinch with a ghoul. Even if you couldn't get a shot off, or even bludgeon the zombie, by holding it between the two of you and pushing upwards, the limited surface area concentrates the force you're exerting with your upward push. Compared to trying to hold another man-sized, man-shaped attacker away from your body barehanded, it's entirely possible you might even be able to open enough space between you and the zombie atop you that you're pushing back/upwards to draw your knees up and between the two of you. Which would a) prevent being manually disemboweled as Dale was, and b) More than DOUBLE the amount of force you're able to exert. Under THOSE circumstances, even an aged man like the Dale character represents would stand at LEAST a 50/50 chance of dislodging the zombie completely, if not send it over backwards and onto its ass/back and OFF YOU. Yet Dale didn't think of his moment-to-moment life in raw survivalist terms, and that's why the rifle was still slung over his shoulder when he went down, despite having enough auditory information to put a more aware individual on their guard 10x over.

Rick and the late Dale though, they think FIRST in terms of the life they lived up until civilization collapsed, and in practical/pragmatic terms of cut and dried survival afterward. Which is why, for example, Rick never even CONSIDERED stopping the search for Sophia. Not after Carl was shot, not after Andrea was attacked and almost infected but for Maggie's miraculously-timed intervention, not after Daryl was thrown from a horse, attacked by Walkers, and nearly killed by Andrea because as a consequence of his injuries/exhaustion, Daryl was staggering & lurching forward just like a Walker. Not after Shane and Andrea nearly got swarmed in the residential neighborhood. Any ONE of these events would have been enough to cause a PRACTICAL leader to at LEAST stop, and re-evaluate the current course of action in depth before continuing on with it. Instead, Rick made his decision based ENTIRELY on emotional reactions to his long-held moral code.

I'll say it again. When your actions, and those of a small group of family/friends/allies are ALL that stands between you and yours dying on any given day, it's CRAZY to take ANY risk that isn't offset by a reward/benefit of GREATER value than the severity of the risk taken. Randall has a 0% benefit-value to Rick and Co. so even if Randall was 99% likely to be a scared, mixed-up, non-threatening kid, what you're saying isn't that you're doing what you believe to be the right thing based on a 99% probability that things are as you would like to believe them to be. No, what you're REALLY saying is you consent wholeheartedly to a 1-in-100 chance that by not shooting Randall, one of your people will die as a result of that decision.

With as many threats and dangers in a post-apocalyptic environment that you'd be subjected to and could do nothing to eliminate, how could you possibly justify ADDING to those life-and-death risks/dangers when doing so in no wise aids you and yours?
    Here we go
    If Randall isn't killed, and at some point contributes to or outright causes the death of one of "our group"...that's just as final.
    No, it's not. Killing Randall is final, him contributing to someone's death is based on conjecture. No, not conjecture, nothing as rational as that, I mean fear. You know, base emotions.

YES it's a simple question. "Am I willing to tolerate any significant risk to the lives and well-being of my friends and loved ones that is in my power to eliminate? For me, that answer is no
    When in fact the question isn't simple, at all. The situation the characters are in is not black and white. You see having to decide wether another human should live or die is never simple. Especially when the only argument you have for doing so is based on a hunch or gut feeling or other mumbo jumbo standing in for paranoia and fear. Shooting someone in the head is something you should not take lightly and has to be thought through.
    I recommend '12 Angry Men' if you haven't already seen it and wish to explore this moral dilemma further.

a confirmed monster...
    Labelling a fellow human as a 'monster' or a 'devil' always crops up when dealing with people defending the death penalty. It's easier to kill something than someone. It also implies that the acts the 'monster' commited could never be done by someone in our 'humane' group when in fact ...

when it comes to civilization being gone and the responsibility for the lives and safety of the people you care for having become a direct and immediate personal responsibility...circumstancial evidence is enough for me to make the call, BECAUSE there is no positive offsetting factor that increases the safety/well-being of my people in letting him live.
    But there is. You see, when you abandon all morality and cross that line like Shane did when he tried to rape Lori, and almost killed his (former?) best friend you will eventually become a threat to your beloved group yourself. It's a short distance from going 'we have to execute this kid because him being alive is a threat to my beloved ones' to 'we need to use violence to make Rick step down as a leader because his leadership is putting me and my beloved ones in jeopardy.'
    In fact I'm willing to bet that the guy you name as the ideal leader will be as great a threat, perhaps even greater threat to the group or one of its members than Randall. Might not happen this season, but it will eventually.

We'll just have to wait and see.

how could you possibly justify ADDING to those life-and-death risks/dangers when doing so in no wise aids you and yours?
    I do agree with you that a certain utilitarian approach is necessary in this zombie apocalypse. But when dealing with a persons life, especially if you have no evidence, it will open the door to a lot of trouble. YOu not only lose your humanity, you might end up destroying the group from within.
    YOu name RIck and Dale weak characters because of their morality and emotions when Shane is the one character whose emotions might put the group in danger.
    Last edited by krisvds; 11-Mar-2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: .

Dead

United States
    About Randall: Killing him would be doing him a favor. If he's stupid enough to jump from roof to roof like he did then it's only a matter of time before he gets himself eaten. If they hadn't removed him from the fence he would've been devoured. At least with a single bullet to the brain his death will be painless.
    They wouldn't be killing him as punishment for a crime he may never comitt. That sounds like a political "spin" on the actual situation at hand, something Dale did constantly and it annoyed the piss out of me. The reality of it is that they'd be killing him to preserve the safety of the group and their homestead. This is the reality of the world they live in. Like Dale said, the survival of the fittest.

United States
    there almost needs to be two separate threads for each episode:

one for those who have a few things to say....

and one for those who like to break down every single frame of the show and dissect it into a million different ways and go on for six or seven paragraphs at a time.

Undisclosed
    I hereby wish to apologise to professor chaos for discussing TWD on this forum; Especially the longer posts, usually reacting to Wylds.
    I do enjoy some debating and like to take my time reading other opinions than my own.

I'm sorry for annoying you professor. Please forgive me?

United States
    i know i'm not the only one who feels this way. it's nothing personal, but jesus, some of you guys can really ramble on....while i'm up for a good discussion here and there, every single TWD episode thread has at least a handful of posts that take up nearly half a page, usually nit-picking and conjecturing.

kinda makes me think of a freshman level psych major just bullshitting his/her way through a five-page paper.

Undisclosed
    Thanks for having the decency not to insult me there Professor.

short enough?
    Last edited by krisvds; 11-Mar-2012 at 04:08 PM. Reason: .

United States
    uh....um okay. i don't detect any sarcasm there, and wasn't trying to be condescending, so no problem.

i'm all up for different viewpoints, too, but generally find my eyes glazing over any posts that go on for more than a handful of paragraphs. i'm sure there's some worthwhile stuff in those posts, but most of it is lost in the mumble-jumble.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post

i'm all up for different viewpoints, too, but generally find my eyes glazing over any posts that go on for more than a handful of paragraphs.
    This is your best option at this point. You're not alone, either....

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    uh....um okay. i don't detect any sarcasm there, and wasn't trying to be condescending, so no problem.

i'm all up for different viewpoints, too, but generally find my eyes glazing over any posts that go on for more than a handful of paragraphs. i'm sure there's some worthwhile stuff in those posts, but most of it is lost in the mumble-jumble.
    Seriously, I understand, man. It's just that once in a while someone posts a loooooooong rant that incites me to take my time and react to that.

I guess you ARE right it's pretty stupid and childish so without any sarcasm; you ARE right and i will try to be more concise.

For example; all of you who wish to kill Randall are bloodthirsty, rightwing maniacs!

United States
    not asking for two-sentence posts, but here's the type of stuff i'm talking about:

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah LORI'S A LYING BITCH WHORE I"D KILL THE CUNT MYSELF I HATE WOMEN blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah RICK IS A PUSSY AND NEEDS TO BE CASTRATED FOR THE SAFETY OF THE GROUP blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah SHANE IS THE ONLY ONE WHO MAKES SENSE AND IR I WERE HIM I WOULD KILL EVERYONE ELSE BUT ANDREA AND MAKE ZOMBIE-KILLING BABIES WITH HER AND WE'D BE THE ULTIMATE BAD-ASS FAMILY CUZ I HAVE NO PITY FOR LOSERS WHO DON'T SEE THINGS LIKE ME blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah DALE AND HERSHEL REMIND ME OF MALE AUTHORITY FIGUES WHO HAVE FUCKED ME OVER IN THE PAST AND I HATE THEM FOR HAVING GREY HAIR AND EXPERIENCE CUZ THEY'RE WEAK AND NOT A LETHAL SURVIVOR OF THE APOCALYPSE LIKE ME blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

(this is a bit of an over-generalization, but this is how a lot of these longer posts strike me)

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    Seriously, I understand, man. It's just that once in a while someone posts a loooooooong rant that incites me to take my time and react to that.

I guess you ARE right it's pretty stupid and childish so without any sarcasm; you ARE right and i will try to be more concise.

For example; all of you who wish to kill Randall are bloodthirsty, rightwing maniacs!
    No; if someone has an issue with longer posts - don't read them. I'm not going to abridge myself for the sake of someone not feeling like reading a post. Get over it and skip to the next post if you don't want to read it. I'll not censor myself or my thoughts for the sake of people.

And with that said, I'm probably one of the most Conservative people on this board, Kris. And I'm certainly no "bloodthirsty, rightwing maniac!" nor am I a bleeding heart liberal either (for certain). But, one issue I've always had an issue with the majority of Republicans is the death penalty. I find it immoral and unethical and executing any criminal puts us on the same pedestal as a guard at Aushchwitz "Just following orders". With that said, this goes for a First World society where it's possible to lock a prisoner away without EVER being a threat to society again. We have the means now to do this without ever having to murder someone (and murder is the correct word for the ceaseless killing of someone with no greater purpose when it's not necessary).

However, here's the issue. I can't say I'm fully against the death penalty in a situation when there is no other valid alternative to protecting society from he threat of an individual. The society that Rick & Co. find themselves in is such a society. However, I also advocated someone knocking Dr. Jenner out and dragging him out of the CDC as being too valuable an asset for the group to lose and I somewhat agreed with what Dale did in order to save Andrea's life. Wylde thought both actions were taking away the independence of someone to make decisions for themselves and that we as humanity would lose ourselves if we were to give in to becoming this type of people - i.e. a despotic tyranny where it doesn't matter if you live or die because you will no longer have any freedoms. And yet, we're at a point now where the only alternative is to EXECUTE someone for being a POTENTIAL threat to the group? Wow, talk about slippery slopes! And then doing a cost-benefit analysis about the LIFE of someone and their value to society? Hmm...

With that said, under the circumstances, I can't say I fully disagree with Wylde and others who say ol' Randy should be killed. I'm completely against capital punishment in as much as there are other valid alternatives to protecting society (as we have now). These safeguards and protections do not exist for Rick & Co. While I completely understand where Dale came from, and I give the man major kudos as well as being a moral and ethical individual, but I personally have to ask: Where do you draw the line? It's "okay" to protect the good of your group by killing someone who may potentially be a threat - but it's unacceptable to drag Dr. Jenner out of the CDC even though his knowledge and skill would have been a greater asset to the group as opposed to his "opting out"?

I'm getting a mental image of Admiral Helena Cain in my head holding her razor and rubbing her fingers across the steel beauty of it. She, like Shane, would not have hesitated in killing ol' Randy on the spot. But at what cost do you carry on no matter what? I'm not calling anyone wrong on this - I understand where both sides of the argument are coming from here. But it's something that deserves more discussion and consideration before taking the life of a human being.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    No; if someone has an issue with longer posts - don't read them.
    This is the best advice.

Even as someone who has maintained that the really long posts tend to be way more about the writer's pathos than the actual topic at hand, I say you have to live and let live, especially when it's on you (as the reader) as to whether you bother indulging someone else's fancy.

-- -------- Post added at 12:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    I hereby wish to apologise to professor chaos for discussing TWD on this forum; Especially the longer posts
    Your posts aren't long at all. Even the post up page isn't long when you factor out the quoted portion.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    ^

i try, trust me. it's just annoying how some rather good posts get buried in mountains of unnecessary wordage and pushed to the wayside. seems these threads at times become taken over by these marathon back-and-forths.

apologies to wyld and anyone else i've probably offended by this, but it's tough to get involved in conversation with some people when they unleash a barrage of non-stop thoughts at you when you make a single point to them.

kinda like being around someone on cocaine or extremely drunk who is always trying to dominate the conversation.

we need a conch around here.