Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Watchmen

Super Moderator

UK
    For any US readers, Patrick Moore is this guy who looks like Kuato from Total Recall who has presented a late night astronomy show since the 50s or 60s. He's a legend, me and my flatmate Joe are painting the telescope black when he dies
    Plus he was the Gamesmaster!

Also - I've read reviewers giving Snyder praise for the opening sequence - but what's being said here is that actually, it was done by a whole separate company? Just like Yawn04 ... ... interesting.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 08-Mar-2009 at 12:00 PM.

Canada
    so....

Is Batman in this movie?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo View Post
    so....

Is Batman in this movie?
    Yep, look in the background:

Kinda looks like Mr. and Mrs. Wayne along with Alfred to the left there too...

England
    One of my favourite scenes was the Vietnam war scene when ride of the valkyries is playing while the hueys fly over,and doctor manhatton is walking along vaporising vietcong soldiers

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    One of my favourite scenes was the Vietnam war scene when ride of the valkyries is playing while the hueys fly over,and doctor manhatton is walking along vaporising vietcong soldiers
    I like how Manhatten would be able to completely disintegrate his enemies, yet he chooses to go with a half vaporize, half chunky explosion instead

Super Moderator

UK
    Sounds interesting.

The lads and I will be off to see it next week - massive blue dong and all.

Just got back from seeing Gran Torino - it was fucking AWESOME. Clint FTW!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    I like how Manhatten would be able to completely disintegrate his enemies, yet he chooses to go with a half vaporize, half chunky explosion instead
    I think it says something about him that he COULD & doesn't even BOTHER too. A quote from the book: "The morality of my activities escapes me."

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Sounds interesting.

Oddly, I didn't really notice it that much. I thought "THIS is what they're fussing about?". I was so focused on the guy & what we was saying most of the time, that it really didn't register.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 09-Mar-2009 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Super Moderator

United States
    Just saw it on Imax and I have to say...it was an awesomely realized adaptation. The ending, in my mind, fits better than the original. I just can't figure how the original material was ever going to be brought to the screen and done any better. A few foibles here and there, yes, but...shit, I have to digest it fully to formulate the words necessary

/fanboy meltdown.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Italy
    Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    I think if he completely vaporizes them, he would be completely subtracting them from the intrinsic field thereby giving them a chance to rebuild themselves just as he did.

England
    Sounds interesting.

aye he does swing his big blue cheb end around a bit!

Super Moderator

UK
    aye he does swing his big blue cheb end around a bit!
    lol - aye, we did have a fair few chuckles about the prospect of a blue wanger flapping around.

Speaking of genitalia - much camel toe on the go in the flick?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I thought it was okay. I wasn't too excited after leaving the theater, tbh. It was pretty good for an "unfilmable" story. I still place Snyder in the music video and trailer director category rather than film director. It was entertaining, but I don't really see myself seeing it many more times.

I don't think it's going to sit well with people that haven't read the novel, though. I took a friend that wasn't aware of the story and he HATED it. He compared it to Batman and Robin, if you can believe that. He has a laundry list of complaints and most of them I would understand if I had never read the novel.

England
    lol - aye, we did have a fair few chuckles about the prospect of a blue wanger flapping around.

Speaking of genitalia - much camel toe on the go in the flick?
    Manhattens girlfriend gets herself involved with a couple of steamy sex scenes,especially the second one!and she looks hot through the whole film,god dayum thats some fine ass milf action right there

Super Moderator

UK
    Manhattens girlfriend gets herself involved with a couple of steamy sex scenes,especially the second one!and she looks hot through the whole film,god dayum thats some fine ass milf action right there
    hehehe

Bassman - interested. I've not read the graphic novel, and I'm seeing the flick next week ... or rather, on Sunday (it being Monday now, I've just remembered) ... so I'll see what my reaction is.

I still think Snyder is a twat though.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I thought it was okay. I wasn't too excited after leaving the theater, tbh. It was pretty good for an "unfilmable" story. I still place Snyder in the music video and trailer director category rather than film director. It was entertaining, but I don't really see myself seeing it many more times.
    Yeah, at times it came of a bit "music video"-ish. I've softened a tad on the use of pop music just because there WERE so many lyric references & instances of music included in the GN, so I could see some precedent. But it plays out differently live than on a printed page.

Good thing is, I didn't come away with a case of "buyers remorse" like I did after D'04. I enjoyed it & thought they did a fairly good job on the adaptation, even though I still wasn't thrilled with what was left out or changed. Looking forward to the extended version.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I don't think it's going to sit well with people that haven't read the novel, though. I took a friend that wasn't aware of the story and he HATED it. He compared it to Batman and Robin, if you can believe that. He has a laundry list of complaints and most of them I would understand if I had never read the novel.
    My wife has never read the GN & she liked it quite well & was eager to discuss afterward. I have been lurking over at http://www.watchmencomicmovie.com/forum/index.php & the reaction from non-GN readers that went with the OP's seems to be fairly mixed. Most seemed positive, some not, so...eh...we'll see.

Hurm. Must investigate further.

I still think Snyder is a twat though.
    Yeah, it really did little to confirm nor deny my feelings for him. In the end I think it was great visuals carried on the strength of the original material.

Everything that was good about the movie (other than the visuals) came from the source material (IMO), & pretty much that didn't work (for me) was as a result of what was left out or changed.

A couple of the performances were very good (Nite Owl, Dr. Manhattan), one REALLY great (Rorschach), & one not so good (Ozymandias). I've heard some complaints about Silk Spectre, but I thought she was fine.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 09-Mar-2009 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost