Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Robert Rodriguez rebooting Predator?

United States
    looking damn good. will definitely make a trip to the theater for this one...

i'll agree that that is a pretty bad-ass trailer, better than the other one i'd seen to this point. although that trailer was good already, this one is much more intense.

hopefully it won't be like terminator:salvation, which had some rather decent trailers (particularly the one with nine inch nails rocking out), but was not-as-good overall as the trailers made it look....which sadly is the case with many films and their trailers.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Terminator Salvation was screwed from the beginning. One stupid-ass nickname ruined it from the start - McG.

BTW....remember how everyone was doubting Adrian Brody's ability to go up against the predator? Looks like he's channeling a bit of the guv-nah in this pic...

United States
    wonder if he's going to shout "GET TO THE CHOPPAAH!"

which reminds me of this, not sure if it's made it to these forums yet:

edit: if i recall, billy was already dead (did the whole "stand-off-on-the-downed tree" FAIL) by the time poncho drops his weapon. still pretty damn funny, though.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 23-Jun-2010 at 09:38 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I hadn't seen that HISHE until now. Pretty good. Reminds me of the woman teaming up with the predator in the first AVP flick. Not a good thing.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post

BTW....remember how everyone was doubting Adrian Brody's ability to go up against the predator? Looks like he's channeling a bit of the guv-nah in this pic...

Is that chest even real?

Khan Noonien Singh called, he wants his rubber chesticles back.

But I actually like this turn for Brody, so I'm just kidding.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    International or "R" rated trailer. Blood, guts, spinal columns!

There are a few shots that could technically be considered spoilers, but I guess if they decided to put them in the trailer they aren't THAT spoiler-ish.

Much better trailer than the US release, imo. This one gets me more excited than the last.
    Looking good.

However, I'm a tiny bit worried about the rather... uninspired dialogue I'm seeing. I'm worried the scriptwriters thought "Oh Predator was just a cheeseball action movie so we can write the dialogue in action-movie autopilot". Actually, although some would say "stick around" and "get to de choppah" are exceptions to this, the dialogue in the original film was very lean but quite clever, sharp and quite poetic in parts. Even when the Native American guy is speaking about tracking the thing, or the captured girl is talking about the butcher that comes in the warmest years, the dialogue is over the top but doesn't rely upon cliched templates, like:

"This place is a game preserve... [dramatic pause]... and we are the prey!"

Oh god, that's so cliche, they would have been just as well to have a middle eastern guy say: "Thees place... [dramatic pause]... ees cursed!"

"How do we kill them?"
    "Any way you can."

*facepalm* ...just ...*facepalm*

Still looking forward to it. The action and cinematography long good. But I remain sceptical.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    hopefully it won't be like terminator:salvation, which had some rather decent trailers (particularly the one with nine inch nails rocking out), but was not-as-good overall as the trailers made it look....which sadly is the case with many films and their trailers.
    Tell me about it - that "The Day The World Went Away" trailer for T4 was amazing, and I'm not taking the piss either. I loved that trailer ... the movie was fucking gash, mind. It had some nice moments and some nice images, but it was so inconsistent with the franchise origins (e.g. super terminators) and just generally stupid, that it fails harder each time you see it.

The aforementioned trailer was fucking immense though. I seriously watched that trailer over-and-over again. Like 30 fucking times.

I'm sure a lot of help came from the awesome-as-all-get-out song by NIN, mind.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    ...it fails harder each time you see it.
    i recall liking it well enough after the first viewing in theaters that i figured i'd pick up the dvd when it came out.

as time wore on, though, and i began really thinking about the original and how great it still is, and then thought of how i never really cared for t2 all that much, t3 was shit, and t:s just played with our emotions and teased us into seeing a mtv/disney sellout-style terminator film. decided against getting the dvd, even as a free gift during the holidays.

i can barely watch it on tv, seems like just as i start getting wowed by all the explosions and action, my brain kicks in and starts ranting about crappy rappers trying to act, the mute kid who serves no purpose at all in the film, the lack of amazing night battles t2 hinted at, christian bale screaming his head off (both on and off-screen) and a cgi-arnold...ugh, gotta stop now, feeling sad.

that trailer really did fucking rock and give me a lot of hope for that film. in fact, i think i enjoyed the trailer way more than the film itself.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    "This place is a game preserve... [dramatic pause]... and we are the prey!"
    "He came to get the body. He's killing us one at a time. Like a hunter."

"How do we kill them?"
    "Any way you can."

*facepalm* ...just ...*facepalm*
    "If it bleeds, we can kill it."

I hate to be the one to say it...but Predator is your run-of-the-mill actioner with similar action dialogue. It was just unique because of the sci-fi creature in a familiar world. 20+ years later we may praise it for more because of the love we've grown for it....but it's still an action film with that familiar tongue. It's written by Shane Black, ffs. (Lethal Weapon - one of the kings of 80's action)

Scotland
    "He came to get the body. He's killing us one at a time. Like a hunter."

"If it bleeds, we can kill it."

I hate to be the one to say it...but Predator is your run-of-the-mill actioner with similar action dialogue. It was just unique because of the sci-fi creature in a familiar world. 20+ years later we may praise it for more because of the love we've grown for it....but it's still an action film with that familiar tongue. It's written by Shane Black, ffs. (Lethal Weapon - one of the kings of 80's action)
    I disagree. Yes, the dialogue in Predator was cheesy, but it wasn't cliche. The "hunter" line was delivered well and illustrated how the character's mind was working over the situation. "If it bleeds", was the same. It was a simple statement of fact, illustrating the formation of an idea in the character's head and the actual communication of information between the characters, as opposed to cool-sounding but otherwise vapid, meaningless and wholly fatuous nonsense like: "Any way you can" <-- That doesn't even mean anything, there is no information conveyed to the audience or the character, it's worthless dialogue.

The original Predator had larger than life characters with larger than life personalities, so naturally some of the dialogue is a bit OTT. But it wasn't riddled with stock phrases, silly dramatic pauses, and it didn't sound like the characters were spouting movie taglines all over the place.

Hopefully the trailer is just giving a skewed view of the dialogue (they always want to boil things down to cliches for trailers), and the silly delivery might be a result of the trailer editing.

I'll probably enjoy it anyway. I just hope they haven't fucked it up.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Hrm. Interesting. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one, Krakers.

Imo, Predator is filled with some of the cheesiest action film stitches around. The larger-than-life soldiers that are damn near cartoon characters, the velveeta dialogue, the intense gore. Predator is a comic book. If anything, I would say Predator 2 is closer to a "real life" scenario.

Super Moderator

UK
    "RUN! GET TO DA CHOPPAH!"

Had to be said, cos that line rocks.

That new trailer is a damn sight better than the previous snippets/trailers I've seen - so no doubt I'll see this in the cinema.

England
    Cant forget this classic line!

Scotland
    Hrm. Interesting. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one, Krakers.

Imo, Predator is filled with some of the cheesiest action film stitches around. The larger-than-life soldiers that are damn near cartoon characters, the velveeta dialogue, the intense gore. Predator is a comic book. If anything, I would say Predator 2 is closer to a "real life" scenario.
    Yeah, I agree with that, but I guess what I'm trying to say Bass, is that the dialogue in Predator felt more "honest": it was hokey and over-the-top but the lines still felt like the kind of thing a "real life" comic book character would actually say. The macho dialogue coming from any one of those macho guys, always tends to fit properly with that character. It was high-calibre, ORIGINAL-SOUNDING cheeseball dialogue, not just variations of stock phrases normally used by trailer announcers.

Believe it or not, the "any way you can line" is actually ripped off from Uwe Boll's House of the Dead trailer (or, if not actually ripped off, it just popped up twice because it's such an uninspired knuckle-headed slug line):

EDIT:
    Watched the trailer again. The dramatic pause between "this place is a game reserve" and "and we are the game" is actually a result of the trailer editing, I think. If the two parts of the phrase are played together, it doesn't sound nearly as bad. Don't get me wrong, I still have high hopes for this.
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 25-Jun-2010 at 10:51 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    What seems to be the first review.

Ultimately, “Predators” will not win any big awards, but it is surprisingly engaging and more scary than it is outright gory and that is a treat for anyone who has suffered through the last two installments that had anything to do with the predator aliens. And yes, the title is a double entendre and there is something to be said for humans being the aliens in this one and hunted without the home field advantage.
    And for anyone interested, the first film is released on a new Blu Ray today. Much better transfer than the last. Comparison.
    Last edited by bassman; 29-Jun-2010 at 02:27 PM.