Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: TWD 4x04 "Indifference" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Well, yeah. But not all justifications are created equal. The question is whether it's a valid justification. I don't recall Rick ever intentionally killing anyone who was not actively hostile to him or his group. Declining to take responsibility for someone who is not part of the group (the backpacker) is different -- it's not like Rick ran him over or shot him while driving by, he left him alone just as though he was never there.
    Agreed.

Also, Rick had a mission to complete - get weapons and ammo - he had an impending war on his hands with an absolute nutjob, that takes priority over everything at that moment, plus he doesn't know who this backpacker guy is, he could be a total psycho, so Rick closed ranks in that situation and completed his mission ... but he did feel bad about what he did (Carol didn't really seem to feel all that bad ... maybe she does deep down, but she's burying any of that under a mountain of self-justification). It's also important to note that - at that time - Rick wasn't in the best mental state. He'd only recently lost his wife (while she gave birth to his daughter), he's lost others in his group, and everything's in a bit of a mess ... so there's only so much he can fix right at that moment.

He also gave Shane plenty of chances to redeem himself, but the man was hellbent on destruction, and in 2x12 it was either Rick or Shane, and Rick put Shane down, even though it hurt him so much to do so.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Rick made the right choice as far as I am concerned, taking her back and exposing her would do way more damage than his or any other solution IMO.

He doesn't always get it right, I'm backing him on this one.
    What is he going to tell the group? She's dead? She's alive? She did the murders?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    What is he going to tell the group? She's dead? She's alive? She did the murders?
    The only thing he should tell them is the truth. In its entirety

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Best thing is to tell the truth, he will make himself a target for hatred from a few people when he does, but looking at the way a civil war/huge fall out would go if Carol was tried and judged in the prison, they could lose Daryl (and Michonne who seems to respect and like Daryl) if they disagreed with executing Carol or if Mr T killed her himself.

If T decides to take himself off to hunt Carol down, that's fair enough, but then again, Daryl might decide to hunt him down...there are no easy solutions to this, Rick did the best he could in a really shitty situation.

The bottom line is that the writers threw this situation into the mix for this reason, this isn't a Gordian knot that can simply be chopped up by some smart ass, it's a really bad situation that cannot have a happy outcome whatever happens...which is why we have 9 pages mostly dealing with it and mucho heated debates. (Hell, I bet there were a few heated debates among the writers as to how this should go down).

(as a survivors fan, you probably remember the "law and order" episode dealing with the murder of Wendy and the wrongful execution of the Barney, and the subsequent decision to allow Tom Price to live after he was discovered to be the real killer...justice in the modern world is tricky enough, in a post apocalypse world, it would be a fucking nightmare for people who had morals and dwindling numbers which they needed to keep healthy/topped up in order to simply survive)

Damn! I can't wait for tonights episode...I'm salivating already!!!
    Last edited by Legion2213; 10-Nov-2013 at 08:56 PM. Reason: .
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post

I would kill anyone around me with a habit of playing God with the lives of others in a post-apocalyptic world.
    Will you go by Governor, el Jefe or something else in the post-apocalyptic wasteland?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Twitching

United States
    Hey I said HABIT of playing God
    Everyone's going to come up against some sort of ethical no-win scenario sometime in a post-apocalyptic world, but when it becomes the go-to reaction to disregard the group and do what you want about whatever you want, then you've essentially declared that all bets are off, civilization is dead, and if you can make unilateral life-and-death decisions, so can I. Nobody appointed Rick Supreme Leader. He's done everything he can to AVOID any responsibility of leadership for MONTHS. Then, when it suits him, he just makes a kneejerk call and because it's Rick Grimes, TWD world just falls in line and accepts it.

Honestly, I'm curious what it WILL take Rick doing to get his defenders here to say "Yea, that's just beyond the pale. What Rick did was evil"?
    I'll say it once more for clarity: You CANNOT have it both ways! EITHER Rick gets to play Old McDonald and avoid all leadership responsibilities, or he's leader-guy 24/7. Rick's actions have clearly demonstrated that it's only when circumstances grow so dire that he's FORCED to take charge again that he'll accept that responsibility. To my mind, his little 6 month Farmer Bob vacation erases any right to judge anyone else by Mr. Grimes.

See, this is exactly the slippery slope I was referencing. One person taking unilateral action narrows the choice-branches for another concerned party until THEY take some form of unilateral action in RESPONSE, and as the dominoes continue to fall all group cohesion and ability to trust/rely on each other is lost. I was SHOCKED when Maggie and Herschel just blithely accepted what Rick did. That was so patently a Writer Fiat as to be inexplicable in any other way.

Speaking from mere pragmatism now: Daryl is a massive, able-bodied/not sick asset to the group. Tyreese is able-bodied sure, but is exhibiting self-destructive loss of control that has severely endangered multiple lives at this point. To call Tyreese anything BUT a Liability at this juncture is fantasy. So the morality of what Carol did becomes IRRELEVANT, because the group can't do without Daryl, and realistically Daryl would go after Carol. He went after Merle, and Merle had been until only days prior actively engaged in the torture, kidnapping and attempted murder of group members. Daryl and Carol's relationship is FAR healthier than his relationship with his brother ever was, and ESPECIALLY NOW, that Merle is gone, I can't see Daryl letting Rick do that. Oh to be sure that's exactly what the writers will have Daryl do. Rick will give him some sort of bullshit "We need you HERE!" guilt trip, and Daryl will stay...but NOTHING in the character indicates he wouldn't break with Rick's decision to do what he thought was right.

Exile in the zombie apocalypse is a COWARD'S mechanism of execution. It's exactly the sort of "Let the Walkers take care of Andrew" brand of moral cowardice that Rick Grimes has based his post-zombie apocalypse morality on. No matter how many times it comes back to bite him, he doggedly refuses to take true responsibility. Instead he makes decisions that dramatically affect others, and then DEMANDS everyone be O.K with that. Everyone who isn't a pro-Rick fanboy knows damned well Carl shot that kid from the Governor's group because he had something to prove. Herschel knew it, but Rick in his role as Stand-in-for-God chose to let it slide with a simple six month grounding from carrying a gun.

As for the argument the kid was part of the Governor's group attacking the Prison. Ask yourself this HONESTLY: Let's say that the kid HADN'T been part of their group, and was just a Survivor attracted to the area by the sound of gunshots. Let's say he was slow to hand his gun over to this strange kid, and then Carl shoots him. Still ok with that? Because CARL had no way of knowing, at the time he pulled the trigger, just WHO that teen was. He ASSUMED, and HAPPENED to be correct that the teen was with the Governor's group...but he shot someone in cold blood essentially because he was pissy he'd been sent to the zombie-apocalypse equivalent of the Little Kids Table.

As the actress who was the guest on Talking Dead said: Nepotism.

What's O.K for Rick Grimes to do is therefore O.K for anyone else to do. Daryl would be JUST AS morally entitled to say "I'm making the decision for myself Rick, you and your brats have been nothing but trouble since the moment your ass came back from the dead. Take them and get the Hell out of here, or I'm gonna gun you down, and then your brats."

That's the problem with unilaterally inflexible decision-making. It leaves no room for compromise, and once one person adopts it, realistically any and every other strong personality affected by said unilateral decision will ALSO adopt that sort of decision-making, leading to the implosion of any sort of social collective.

Administrator

England
    Speaking from mere pragmatism now: Daryl is a massive, able-bodied/not sick asset to the group. Tyreese is able-bodied sure, but is exhibiting self-destructive loss of control that has severely endangered multiple lives at this point. To call Tyreese anything BUT a Liability at this juncture is fantasy. So the morality of what Carol did becomes IRRELEVANT, because the group can't do without Daryl, and realistically Daryl would go after Carol. He went after Merle, and Merle had been until only days prior actively engaged in the torture, kidnapping and attempted murder of group members. Daryl and Carol's relationship is FAR healthier than his relationship with his brother ever was, and ESPECIALLY NOW, that Merle is gone, I can't see Daryl letting Rick do that. Oh to be sure that's exactly what the writers will have Daryl do. Rick will give him some sort of bullshit "We need you HERE!" guilt trip, and Daryl will stay...but NOTHING in the character indicates he wouldn't break with Rick's decision to do what he thought was right.
    Im sorry, what relationship between daryl and carol? unless ive missed an episode they have never gone further than friendly flirting. Ive do that with loads of female friends, it dosnt mean theres a relationship there.

Merle was his brother, blood is thicker than water.

Also, as was already pointed out, ricks decision to exile carol was not knee jerk, he spent the whole episode thinking about it and testing carol and she did act like a bitch. The decision was also made for the good of the entire group including carol, bringing her back to the prison could well start a war and put her life in danger.

Sorry but im 100% behind rick on this one.

Super Moderator

UK
    Rick did make the right call, the best from a bad bunch of possible calls - there was no bright shining choice, only hard calls.

As for Daryl & Carol - you can have a relationship without bonking each other's brains out. Their relationship is chaste and based on a mutual understanding - they both come from abusive backgrounds, unlike the rest of the group, so they have this deep common ground between just the two of them. A lot of their relationship is just hinted at as it's not really something you can visualise very easily - it's more of a feeling - whereas with Rick/Carl you can easily show the father/son relationship, with Glenn/Maggie you can easily show the married couple angle, and with Tyreese/Sasha you can easily show the sibling relationship ... Daryl/Carol has always been a relationship that's far harder to define and illustrate, but it is there.

Undisclosed
    I STILL want to see somebody question Rick's actions when it came to Carol. Hell, I want to see somebody get up in his face and rip his ass apart!! He has gotten off way too easily so far. Wyald is right, in much of what he says. Rick had NO right to make that decision on his own. He also put the group in jeopardy because they could have used an extra pair of hands in the next episode. I'm getting tired of his acting like God. I also don't understand all of the blind devotion to him on this site. I was on another site a few days ago and they were really ripping into him. Guess they were big Carol fans.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    As for the argument the kid was part of the Governor's group attacking the Prison. Ask yourself this HONESTLY: Let's say that the kid HADN'T been part of their group, and was just a Survivor attracted to the area by the sound of gunshots. Let's say he was slow to hand his gun over to this strange kid, and then Carl shoots him. Still ok with that? Because CARL had no way of knowing, at the time he pulled the trigger, just WHO that teen was. He ASSUMED, and HAPPENED to be correct that the teen was with the Governor's group...but he shot someone in cold blood essentially because he was pissy he'd been sent to the zombie-apocalypse equivalent of the Little Kids Table.
    Come on, when you're in a battle and you know everyone on your force and an unknown is coming towards your base with gun in hand, you HAVE to assume that they're part of the enemy force. I didn't even like Carl's character at the time. I think "had something to prove" might be a charitable interpretation of his state of mind. But based on the objective circumstances I think his action was reasonable.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Twitching

United States
    By that logic Carol is justified then.
    You've essentially boiled Carl's action down to "Threat = Right to terminate individual representing said threat."
    What got Carol condemned isn't what she did, it's that what she did FAILED in its objective. Had there been no further outbreaks of the "Bloody Eye Disease" no one would've wanted to articulate it in the Prison Group, but they all would have had feelings of thankfulness that they, their loved ones and friends are now safe.

As to Rick's decision not being a kneejerk one: A few probing questions over a couple-hour period, interspersed with 90% silence? That's the exhaustive consideration of motive and mindset that ANYONE would want before being exiled into the Zombie-filled post-apocalyptic wasteland?

My point about Carl was this: In an apocalyptic situation, anyone of a proactive mindset, working within a small social collective will EVENTUALLY do something that significantly treads on the morality of one or more others within that social collective. Whether it was Lori hopping in the sack with Shane before Rick's imagined dead body was even cold (And the whole scene where when she takes her top off and Rick's wedding ring on the chain around her neck makes Shane uncomfortable, so she immediately takes it off is conclusive evidence that she had, for all intents and purposes already moved on.) Or whether it was Rick, in the midst of an urgent crisis and having to deal with a belligerent and probably imminently violent Merle, who knocked the guy out and cuffed him to a rooftop where through a series of unfortunate coincidences ended up leaving Merle in a "fate worse than death" sort of position, necessitating self-amputation. Or whether it was Dale, taking it upon himself to hide all the guns in the swamp, where they well could've been lost to the group had he fallen to the Walker 12hrs earlier than he actually did.

Or even more positively-inspired, but still risk-creating decisions: Such as Daryl going back for Merle, despite the fact a moment's thought would've told him that Rick and Co. would surely come after him and thereby get put in harm's way due to his actions. Or Michonne's little detour to kill zombie-Penny and gouge out the Governor's eye. Or even Andrea's "There has to be a better way than shooting the guy who turns out to be a complete sociopath."

The point is that ANYONE is EVENTUALLY going to fuck up epically in the judgment of their peers. Hell, Daryl chose to break ranks and go off with his brother, who was responsible for handing Glenn and Maggie over to the Governor, and TRYING TO FEED GLENN TO A WALKER, but when he thinks better of it not only is he taken back, they ACTUALLY *allowed Merle a) To live, and b) To remain in the Prison*

And what about the reverse? What about when, because someone (like Rick), operating by pre-apocalypse morality makes a decision that in the pre-apocalypse world would be right and proper, but in the POST-Apocalypse world puts OTHER PEOPLE'S *lives* in danger? T-Dog died too as a result of Rick's decision not to finish Andrew when he had the chance, and Carol was very nearly fatally entombed alive...besides what went down with Lori. Rick, seeking to atone for the "wrong" he did Merle by leaving him on that roof, instigates a foray back into crawling-with-Walkers downtown. As a result, nearly ALL the firearms went with Rick, as did a large % of the able-bodied men. That decision contributed to all the deaths at their camp.

The standard one needs to use in a post-apocalyptic environment isn't "Do something very immoral and you're gone." A far more rational, pragmatic standard would be "Based on EVERYTHING I know about this person, are they a) A CONTINUING THREAT to the group, or individuals within the group, b) A major asset or not to the group's continuing existence. And c) What is the likelihood of recidivism, Ie: How likely is it that if faced with a similar situation they would behave in the same unacceptable manner?

The entire "Tyreese will kill Carol" excuse was just that. An excuse, because he immediately goes on to say if everyone except him, Carol, Carl and Judith died, he wouldn't want her around. Furthermore, let's even forget Tyreese's "rage out" since Karen's death. He doesn't want to work the fence, and doesn't want to go on runs. He has no valuable knowledge, and is essentially worth only what he can accomplish as any other warm body, or in a Walker-defense role. As to Walker-defense, he's a poor shot and his head is definitely NOT on a swivel when it comes to situational awareness.

In other words, to paraphrase: Everything Tyreese can do, Carol can do better and then some.

Yes, Rick had Carol's rather cold, very pragmatic statements to go by. Yet he also had her undeniably valuable role in caring for and strengthening the minors under her care at the Prison. He had the knowledge that Carol is not so far gone that she wasn't able to bond with Lizzie and her sister. Most importantly: By his own admission he knows Carol would do ANYTHING for the good of the group. Whatever the risk, whatever the personal cost.

People here are holding up the "Bringing her back could've caused division within the Prison population" justification. Isn't that in and of itself indicative of the fact that this decision affected too many people for Rick to make on his own and then inform them of afterward. Doing it himself, however you try to spin it, is Rick saying "I know better than everyone else at the Prison, and because many of the strongest personalities are currently laid up sick, I can take life-and-death decisions into my own hands and expect not to even be second-guessed.

Where is this faith in Rick's judgment coming from? During the "Governor Crisis" Rick was wildly hallucinating and drove Tyreese and Sasha into the Governor's camp. He was wandering around outside the fence, seemingly only partially aware of his surroundings and thereby any potential danger. Subsequent to this period wherein he was mentally and emotionally compromised, he did everything in his power to shut out the very reality of the Zombie Apocalypse, playing Farmer Bob while others were working in hours-long shifts terminating Walkers at the fence.

Carol believed she was protecting the majority from a deadly microorganism. NOTHING ELSE indicates she has been anything but tirelessly selfless and utterly devoted to the group. If ANYONE deserved a second chance, it was Carol. Carol's decision and Rick's many decisions are simply 2 sides of the same coin. It doesn't matter how many times making a choice based on pre-apocalyptic morality rises up and bites the group, Rick always gets the default defense "He was trying to do the right thing"

People here shouldn't make the mistake of assuming his moral judgments hold any more worth than anyone else just because as the main protagonist the writers invariably let him off the hook time and again. Trying to do what you think is best for the group and having extremely negative consequences result from that effort is the same principle, regardless of who is taking action. Carol never allowed complacency to dominate her outlook and behavior. She loved those kids enough to do what no one else was interested in doing, and teaching them to defend themselves. Beyond the physical benefits, she was re-empowering children who in many cases undoubtedly had felt tossed hither and yon by chance and circumstance, while in other cases were wrestling with their inability to protect themselves or those they cared for. Those children will ALL be worse off without Carol.

This wasn't a built-to-a-crescendo feud over control of the group and possession of Lori/Carl like with Shane and Rick. Much as I agreed with a lot of how the Shane character saw things, I recognized HE had pushed matters beyond a Point Of No Return. Instead, we have a single crisis-specific reaction. Even if you completely erase the value of emotional ties between members of the group and Carol, didn't her PRACTICAL expertise and unwavering commitment, that included selflessly shouldering great personal risk, make her worth something like this:

"Carol, what you did was WRONG, and nothing you say or do will ever convince me otherwise. If you EVER do something like this again I will PERSONALLY put a bullet in your brain. We clear?"

Because the part I just don't get was where the "I don't want you around" was coming from on Rick's part. He's taken chances on people who at one juncture were actively antagonistic to the group. Why didn't Carol merit a second chance...if not for herself, then for the sake of two little girls who just lost their only parent and were now looking to Carol to fill that void. "Keeping them safe" isn't enough. Lizzie has SEVERE emotional and psychological issues that, in the absence of a trained professional, are best handled by the ONLY adult she seems to have formed a significant rapport with. We'll never know if that damaged little girl could've been saved, because the only person with an inkling as to her issues, and with the trust from Lizzie necessary to reach her and inspire change was sent away.

Will Rick get a pass on

Carl being put into a position where he has to gun Lizzie down when he witnesses her step beyond the pale
    ?

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by zomtom View Post
    I STILL want to see somebody question Rick's actions when it came to Carol.
    That may well happen, but I just don't think the people who've been told have had time to process what's happened yet.

4x05 spoiler:

As far as reactions we've seen, they make sense from what I can see. Rick told someone who is risking his life to stave off this illness long enough for some medicine to arrive and a woman whose husband is currently ill that Carol killed two of their own people who were already sick, so I didn't expect any of them to have a great condemnation for his actions...not right away, anyway.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 13-Nov-2013 at 04:51 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    *ahem*

Everyone, do remember this is the 4x04 thread and not the 4x05 thread.

Keep 4x05 talk inside the 4x05 thread, please.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 13-Nov-2013 at 04:53 PM.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    *ahem*

Everyone, do remember this is the 4x04 thread and not the 4x05 thread.

Keep 4x05 talk inside the 4x05 thread, please.
    Good catch, MZ.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    By that logic Carol is justified then.
    You've essentially boiled Carl's action down to "Threat = Right to terminate individual representing said threat."
    No, what I'm saying is "Hostile = Target." Given that Carl's action occurred during battle, I'm looking at it from a rules of engagement / law of war perspective. Under the circumstances, I believe it was reasonable to assume an armed unknown approaching your position during the battle is a hostile combatant (as was in fact the case). Hostile combatants are legitimate targets. Noncombatants are never legitimate targets, even if they pose an unintentional, unconscious threat.

I agree with you about Rick acting unilaterally in this case, though. Carol's action was wrong, but he probably should have brought the decision back to the council, as I've said before.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria