Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

So, yesterday the UK began trials of a vaccine - http://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-04-23-...an-trial-stage

Alas, this still means it's six months (I believe) away from actual use

I believe similar trials are being carried in China, the US and Germany?
    If it's available in 6 months it would be the world record by like 3 years or something like that. Flu vaccines don't count, they are strains of the same virus.

I'd be wary of taking any vaccine that hasn't undergone rigorous human testing. I am not an anti-vaxxer, but vaccines that are rushed to the market can have long term consequences. The swine-flu vaccine caused narcolepsia down the line.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    If it's available in 6 months it would be the world record by like 3 years or something like that.
    It's that long? Eek! I'll swear some of the articles I read implied tests would take six months? Not multiple years?

I'd be wary of taking any vaccine that hasn't undergone rigorous human testing.
    Why? What's the problem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWEvLBzMpYE
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    It's that long? Eek! I'll swear some of the articles I read implied tests would take six months? Not multiple years?
    I am no expert at calculating how long it takes to develop a vaccine, but I've heard from multiple sources that if it took as little as 18 months from the initial stages of development (let's assume January, 2020) then it would be a world record.

HIV has been around for around 40 years, there's still no vaccine and that virus has a 100% mortality rate.
    There's no vaccine for either SARS or MERS, both of which are on paper way more dangerous than Covid-19.

Just because something is tested doesn't mean it will work.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 25-Apr-2020 at 09:13 AM. Reason: fafsa

Administrator

England
    HIV has been around for around 40 years, there's still no vaccine and that virus has a 100% mortality rate.
    Not so sure about that entirely correct/fair? I believe they are treating high risk groups with drugs that help prevent it being caught. And now at least two people have been "cured" - https://www.livescience.com/second-p...astillejo.html
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Not so sure about that entirely correct/fair? I believe they are treating high risk groups with drugs that help prevent it being caught. And now at least two people have been "cured" - https://www.livescience.com/second-p...astillejo.html
    A cure and vaccine are different things.

Administrator

England
    A cure and vaccine are different things.
    Agreed, but as regards "that virus has a 100% mortality rate"...
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Agreed, but as regards "that virus has a 100% mortality rate"...
    Oh. Well it did have for a very long time, at least.

Administrator

England
    Oh. Well it did have for a very long time, at least.

It's amazing how much of a fairly short term death sentence it initially was, compared to how now, it seems people can live with it for decades. Freddie Mercury died of it fairly early on, but then Holly Johnson was diagnosed with it nearly 30yrs ago!
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    It's amazing how much of a fairly short term death sentence it initially was, compared to how now, it seems people can live with it for decades. Freddie Mercury died of it fairly early on, but then Holly Johnson was diagnosed with it nearly 30yrs ago!
    I haven't kept pace with it, but there is a guy who's on Bill Maher sometimes who was diagnosed 17 years ago. So yeah.
    But on the other end of the spectrum, they have to be wary not to catch this Covid thing...

Ireland
    These days, it's possible to manage HIV for a long(ish) period. When it becomes full blown AIDS, though, that might be a different story.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Why do I say "I haven't kept pace with it" as if I was there when it first erupted in the 80's? I absolutely wasn't.

- - - Updated - - -

For whatever reason that few seem to write about, China has put the city of Harbin into lockdown.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-outbreak.html

Administrator

England
    For whatever reason that few seem to write about, China has put the city of Harbin into lockdown.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-outbreak.html
    I would just love to know how truthful China's figures are, and how accurate are the accounts of the position of the virus in their country is... I suspect very not!
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    I'd throw that suspicion on every country. Even Britain are fiddling their numbers. They still aren't counting care home deaths from Covid-19.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I'd throw that suspicion on every country. Even Britain are fiddling their numbers. They still aren't counting care home deaths from Covid-19.
    I doubt that's down to the same reasoning/ethos/degree though is it

My sister now has suspected symptoms... :/
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    It's still all about saving face, no matter what country's doing it.

Sorry to hear about your sister. Has she been tested? Hope she's not in the most vulnerable age bracket.