Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dead Set - the series...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada

Dead Set - the series...

FUCK ME. i hardly ever use capital letters so that should get your attention. anyway, thanks to brett for turning me on to this and to andy for seconding it.
    most of the folks in the UK know about this so just ignore this post. the rest of you need to get your fucking grimy paws on this by any means necessary.

it is a tv show about a zombie outbreak that occurs during the shooting of Big Brother. let's just say that it rocks the known nations with zombie goodness. i don't want to give too much away but if you are a zombie fan you need to see this. it is funny as hell at times, scary as hell at times. great characters abound (patrick particularly cracks me the fuck up). this show has me hooked. the zombies are "runners" but, in this case that matters fuck all.

if you can't find it on your own, PM me and i'll assist you.
    Last edited by Mike70; 10-Jan-2009 at 05:43 AM.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

capncnut
    No problems, Mike. Glad you enjoyed it.

I happen to think that Dead Set is quite possibly the best thing zombie related since 1990. I am very hard pressed to think of another film/show that remotely comes close. While it does have the dreaded runners, a lot of profanity and a serious amount of gore, it is witty and nailbiting with a conclusion that puts you on the edge of your seat.

The DVD was released in the UK late last year with all 5 episodes seperately on the disc but E4 recently showed the whole lot as a 140 minute movie (which I DVR-ed ). Whatever format you find people, give Dead Set a viewing because it's one damn good zombie flick/show.
    Last edited by capncnut; 10-Jan-2009 at 11:36 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    i watched all 5 eps last night in a row. once i got started in, i couldn't walk away. i am ultra fucking impressed by it.

i agree with capn, this is by far the best zombie flick in eons.

United States
    alright, now i'm intrigued. look for my pm, mike.

United States
    I remember hearing about this here on HPOTD when it was announced. Had no idea it was out. I'll have to track a copy down.

capncnut
    Here's a little dose of Patrick, just for Mike.

Click for video.

"Who's house do you think you're standing in, you stupid speck o' shit?"
    Last edited by capncnut; 10-Jan-2009 at 07:41 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Here's a little dose of Patrick, just for Mike.

Click for video.

"Who's house do you think you're standing in, you stupid speck o' shit?"

yes, patrick is one of the most self-absorbed dickheads in tv/movie history. that is what makes him funny as all hell. he cares fuck all about anyone other than himself. i think he, by far, has the best lines in the show.

i think my favorite patrick line is: "i didn't say it was going to be a genteel parlor game, you titted fucking idiot!"

hell i didn't realize most of the show was up on youtube...
    Last edited by Mike70; 10-Jan-2009 at 07:49 PM.

England
    Glad y'all enjoyed it. It suddenly appeared on the radar 2 weeks before it aired but when it did, holy shit. I can remember going "Shit. No way" at some parts of it, thinking how the hell did they get away with that. It was on 1 of the mainstream channels as well
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    I watched Dead Set last month,and it was awesome.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Gla. I can remember going "Shit. No way" at some parts of it, thinking how the hell did they get away with that. It was on 1 of the mainstream channels as well
    yeah, i wondered about that too. some of the gore in this show is damned intense, pretty graphic and the language would make andrew dice clay blush. i guess it was on later at night then, eh?

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    i guess it was on later at night then, eh?
    10pm or maybe 9, I can't remember. God bless E4.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Great show - shows how important it is to have something of a budget when making a zombie flick.

Of course, this is really a mini-series. And, to my knowledge, it's the ONLY zombie series we have?

Wouldn't it be great to have a zombie series that lasted 5 seasons, as opposed to 5 episodes.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by hoohaa View Post
    Great show - shows how important it is to have something of a budget when making a zombie flick.

Of course, this is really a mini-series. And, to my knowledge, it's the ONLY zombie series we have?

Wouldn't it be great to have a zombie series that lasted 5 seasons, as opposed to 5 episodes.
    And had shamblers, rather than runners ... and it had a camera that was less wobbly, and colouring that was less gray - those were my three problems with Dead Set.

BUT - they were out-weighed by the show over-all, because it was superb. Especially the ending - which really stuck with me for days afterwards.

My only other disappointment was hearing the guy that played Patrick (who is clearly a big horror movie fan), say that he thought Yawn04 was better than Dawn78 ... ... ... ... ... yeah ... also the director hadn't seen a single zombie film before he did Dead Set ... perhaps that latter one was more jealousy than anything else from my side though.

Over all mind you, despite my small list of 3 annoyances, Dead Set was fucking great. I got the DVD for Xmas, so I'll crack back into that again sometime soon.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    [ Especially the ending - which really stuck with me for days afterwards.
    fuck yes. awesome ending one of the better ones i've seen in eons. no american tv show would have the balls do something like that.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    no american tv show would have the balls do something like that.
    Yojimbo agrees with Mike. American TV would have turned Dead Set into 7th Heaven replete with impotent violence, laughable and bloodless gore and saccharine morality.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."