Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A glimmer of hope for Star Wars?

Administrator

England

A glimmer of hope for Star Wars?

Academy Award winner Taika Waititi, who recently won Best Adapted Screenplay for Jojo Rabbit and directed the widely-acclaimed first season finale episode of The Mandalorian on Disney+, will direct and co-write a new Star Wars feature film for theatrical release.

Joining Waititi on the screenplay will be Academy Award® nominee Krysty Wilson-Cairns (1917, Last Night in Soho), who received a BAFTA Award for Outstanding British Film of the Year on the three-time Oscar-winning film, 1917.

https://www.starwars.com/news/taika-waititi-announce
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I’m still a Star Wars fan so I’m excited.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Waste of talent...

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Waititi is great, Mandalorian was phenomenal, and Star Wars can still have a bright future in the right hands, so I’m totally on board with this news!

Super Moderator

UK
    Well, if it's a new story and set of characters, then it's got a chance. The Mandalorian and Rogue One have shown that.

While I enjoyed the sequel trilogy, it was certainly plagued by many issues, one of which was how unsure it was in regards to what came before. It didn't know how deep it wanted to go, how much it wanted to change-up, etc ... got a bit muddled (most of all in Rise of Skywalker, which felt like a reverse ferret at several points).
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 06-May-2020 at 10:19 AM.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Waititi is great, Mandalorian was phenomenal, and Star Wars can still have a bright future in the right hands, so I’m totally on board with this news!
    Hunt for the Wilderpeople is on there in the UK this week. Lovely flick!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    I'd say no. Or at least not sure. I don't believe Waititi is 100% suitable for Star Wars, unless his writing is very closely monstered. He's a decent director. But a director of comedy.

Star Wars isn't comedy. Nor is it Marvel, where nothing matters on screen and characters go from genocidal maniacs one movie to having a laugh the next...hello Loki.

I just don't see his type of meta humour fitting into what are essentially dramatic adventure movies that for the most part are taken seriously by the characters within them. Sure, there's some humour in the Star Wars films, but it's not the focus and never should be. Whereas, Waititi's films, so far, have all had humour as their primary goal.

That doesn't mean, of course, that he can't switch mode and his work on 'The Mandalorian' was ok. But, to me, he's a curious choice. And the last comedy merchants that got onto a Star Wars set got booted off half way through shooting.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I'd say no. Or at least not sure. I don't believe Waititi is 100% suitable for Star Wars, unless his writing is very closely monstered. He's a decent director. But a director of comedy.

Star Wars isn't comedy. Nor is it Marvel, where nothing matters on screen and characters go from genocidal maniacs one movie to having a laugh the next...hello Loki.

I just don't see his type of meta humour fitting into what are essentially dramatic adventure movies that for the most part are taken seriously by the characters within them. Sure, there's some humour in the Star Wars films, but it's not the focus and never should be. Whereas, Waititi's films, so far, have all had humour as their primary goal.

That doesn't mean, of course, that he can't switch mode and his work on 'The Mandalorian' was ok. But, to me, he's a curious choice. And the last comedy merchants that got onto a Star Wars set got booted off half way through shooting.
    Jo-Jo Rabbit was far less of a comedy than what I expected it to be, and also what it was marketed as.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post

Funny I felt kinda the same way when Peter Jackson was announced for TLOTR.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Ireland
    When you have an imaginary Hitler talking nonsense with a 7 year old boy who gets rid of him by kicking him out of a window and yelling "fuck off Adolf", I don't know how else to take that other than comic. Sure, there are some serious moments here and there. But, yeh, it's a comedy.

Anyway, the point is, that Waititi's back catalogue, film wise, are all comedy affairs. That includes 'Thor Ragnarok', which was far more light-hearted that any previous Marvel entry. I just don't think he's suited to something like Star Wars, unless his penchant for the funnies can be tempered a lot.

Personally, on the basis of her work in 'The Mandalorian', I'd have given Deborah Chow a go. Or, if he wasn't tied up as showrunner, Favreau.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Funny I felt kinda the same way when Peter Jackson was announced for TLOTR.
    Wasn't that pushed on Jackson myself, when I heard the news Moonie. But, at least Jackson showed he could do "serious", with 'Heavenly Creatures'. Even so, he couldn't resist putting in stupid nonsense, like "Dwarf tossing" and having Legolas slide down steps on his shield, or keep a kill count with Gimli. If I was an editor on that film, all of that rubbish would be on the cutting room floor.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    A lot of filmmakers struggle against being typecast in the genres of films they make - Romero struggled to do anything outside of the horror genre, and couldn't get anything at all done outside of the zombie sub-genre in the last part of his career. Romero did accept his position in the horror genre ultimately, but it was painful to see him get boxed in nonetheless. More recently, but also with horror, you've got a filmmaker like Rob Zombie who has only been able to make horror movies (he's wanted to make an ice hockey movie about the Broadstreet Bullies as well as a movie about the last days of Groucho Marks - both of which sound really interesting - but the money isn't there, or easily accessible in any real way - he was struggling to get the above mentioned movies made and some money came through for a Rob Zombie horror movie (with total creative control and final cut), so he did that instead.

Waititi has done some excellent stuff, but he has perhaps got a little bit 'typecast' in the comedy realm. Despite the light hearted tone of Thor Ragnarok (which was also an awesome movie), it did show he was capable of helming a large scale movie. I would hope that with Star Wars he doesn't just make a 'funny Star Wars movie', but I have faith he'll recognise the tone of the sandbox he's entering and act accordingly. It doesn't have to be stuffy and pompous (in fact, that'd be awful), there does have to be a sense of fun about a Star Wars movie - as in, it should be entertaining - just not silly or self-aware or post-modern or any of that kinda stuff.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah, Waititi seems like he has the chops to tackle different genres. I haven’t seen JoJo yet, but I heard it’s mostly drama.

His episode(finale) of The Mandalorian was fantastic and wasn’t overtaken by comedy. It had comedic elements of course, including a great “target practice” visual joke that isn’t addressed through any dialogue, but Star Wars fans get the laugh immediately. So if that’s the tone his film could go for, which is basically the same tone Lucas started in 77, it could be amazing. Of all the directors having worked on SW in recent years, his attachment is by far the most exciting, imo.
    Last edited by bassman; 09-May-2020 at 09:56 AM. Reason: .

Being Attacked

United States
    MCU is great! They did well with those films mainly because they had a ton of great talents working on those films. I can see Star Wars working in the right hands like Waititi. I am afraid of what might happen though since it seems to be a curse that these concepts are just not going to work on film.
    I do have faith in the upcoming star wars films though especially since they have Waititi on it.
    JJ Abrams was always fumbling director. Great and deep concepts, but always ends with a sad execution (Lost for example). He just needs to learn to juggle his films. I think he does well and then he starts to stutter towards the end.
    I don't know who Rian Johnson is and looking at his filmography, it's obvious why I don't really know who he is. So I can see how TLJ didn't do so well.

With Waititi working on the project, I have faith.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    ^ RE: Rian Johnson

Don’t let Last Jedi deter you from seeing his other works. Brick, Looper, Knives Out, and his episodes of Breaking Bad are all great. Whether you liked Last Jedi or not(I personally liked it), his other works are so vastly different that I’m sure every viewer could at the very least find certain elements that they enjoy.

Being Attacked

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    ^ RE: Rian Johnson

Don’t let Last Jedi deter you from seeing his other works. Brick, Looper, Knives Out, and his episodes of Breaking Bad are all great. Whether you liked Last Jedi or not(I personally liked it), his other works are so vastly different that I’m sure every viewer could at the very least find certain elements that they enjoy.
    Oh dude no way!? I watched Breaking Bad in its entirety and loved it! I should have paid more attention.
    I've yet to see Brick, Looper, or Knives out. I should give those a try. I've mainly been binging Better Call Saul and other various animes (attack on titan, the promised neverland).