Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

UK
    king & straubs the talisman
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Rendezvous with Rama 2 & 3... And wishing I wasn't... Pretty poorly written affairs!
    Just started no.4 now... Not expecting an improvement
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

UK
    salems lot

England
    *Sigh*

So many new, unread books here, dozens of them...and I am just starting the "Heliconia" trilogy by Brian Aldiss again, I seem to be compelled to read the whole series every year or two.

- - - Updated - - -

After posting the above last night, I decided to try something new and started listening to the audiobook "Wool" by Hugh Howey...I'm glad I did, I'm about a quarter of the way through it and enjoying it a lot, it's a nice dystopian novel, very much to my tastes, will have to get the other two books in the trilogy by the weekend I reckon...(third one is technically a pre-order, but I'll chuck it in my amazon basket anyway)
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Undisclosed
    'Er ist wieder da' by Timur Vermes.
    It's a satire. It deals with Hitler walking around Berlin in 2013. Using Youtube and 'likes' he uses the media to get back in power.
    From what I have read so far it's dark humour is hilarious.

England
    Finished "Wool" by Hugh Howey last night...very, very good story, nothing majorly original, but very well executed. Will be ordering book 2 (which is a prequel) and pre-ordering book 3 which should carry on from book 1.

Really enjoyed the read, enjoyed the world/setting and thought the writer created characters worth caring about.

This gets a thumbs up/recommend from me.

Have the "Under the Dome" audiobook by SK on standby, will start tonight or tomorrow before dipping my toe into the TV series if I enjoy the book.
    Last edited by Legion2213; 13-Nov-2013 at 10:10 PM. Reason: .
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Undisclosed
    The past few weeks I've reread Michner's Centennial, then a couple books by SF writer James Morrow - Her Only Begotten Daughter & This Is The Way The World Ends (Both Sci Fi/Fantasy Satire ) and now a big book of myths, legends, and folktales.
    Currently I'm struggling in the writing of a sequel/prequel to a fantasy pirate novel I wrote last year (the former has yet to find an agent or publisher ) and also fighting to finish the third installment of an ongoing story I've been doing for a friend's blog site. Likewise, there's two horror stories I've been going on about forever. One would resurrect my stalled Deadfall series here at HPOTD, the other is just great fun.

Wayne Z

What had started as the Summer of Love, ended with a Fall which took an already torn national psyche and fed it; bit by bit, to a collective which honored no flag nor philosophy, save one.
    As flowers faded before the shortening sun, trees bared themselves to an approaching autumn chill, something stirred on the air. In isolated hamlet, likewise within the narrow alleyways and broad avenues of larger metropolis, awakening to a time when all other things looked toward winter slumber, Dead things walked.

Deadfall:Fools On The Hill ( work in progress )

I was the only American among the twenty three member Aussie crew, a Jack of All Trades on loan from McMurdo to help get Nossal online and up to speed. Even so, Grace Beecham and I seemed to hit it off from the start, though we were polar opposites ( pun intended. ) in so many ways. This rather scrawny Yank with a grindingly linear thought process would hardly have dreamed of shacking up with the freethinking Amazonian prodigy, who dealt with a rather esoteric field of study …

“Necro-Thermic Deviations under Sub-Zero Conditions, including Somnolent/Near Comatose States. “

“Come again? “ I'd asked, while she took my incredulity with the driest wit.

“How extreme cold affects Dead Tissue. “ I could see those mixed color eyes, hazel with odd flecks of light-green, twinkling as my own pale expression grew even more so under the harsh post-summer sun. “This is really freakin you out, isn’t it? “

Frostbidden (work in progress )
    Last edited by wayzim; 14-Nov-2013 at 05:35 PM. Reason: cuz

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Well I just finished a recently released compendium of undead short stories (and one textless short comic) put together by James Roy Daley, which is 'Best New Zombie Tales' Volume 3. Very good stuff.
    Currently though I'm reading Hitchens' book 'Arguably', which is a huge collection of essays he's done over the past 10+ years, ranging in subject from early figures of US History to where I am now, authors of the time around WWII. Fascinating stuff, and excellent writing, if a little dry and high-brow. (Not exactly my cup of tea, but I flow).

UK
    just finished Kings Night Shift, 500 pages through The Stand, still a long way to go!!

Administrator

England
    Just finished "Blaze" by Stephen King. He wrote this before Carry as Bachman. It ended up thrown away in a trunk and forgotten about for 30yrs.

If this is the sort of stuff he "throws away" OMG!

This is a fabulous read, very slightly let down by the ending IMHO, but boy what a great read!

ps: It's not horror or supernatural etc.

At 6’7” and built like a bear, Clay Blaisdell is one big mother, but his capers are strictly small-time until he meets George Rackley. George introduces him to a hundred cons and the one big score that every small timer dreams of: kidnap.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Just finished "Blaze" by Stephen King. He wrote this before Carry as Bachman. It ended up thrown away in a trunk and forgotten about for 30yrs.

This is a fabulous read, very slightly let down by the ending IMHO, but boy what a great read!

Holy Christmas Crap! I just had a thought here.

What if some bright boy ( or girl ) could option King's short story: Home Delivery, from Skipp and Spector's 1989 anthology book homage to all things Romero? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_De..._(short_story) Then they get George himself to direct it.

Update: Oops, actually decided to read the whole wiki article, and evidently it had been optioned. My Bad, Are Sorry. Still, the things that pop up in this tired old kids mind, huh?

Wayne Z
    [on screen] Sleigh is down. Reindeer... all dead. Both Santa's legs are broken. Santa's... very sad. Santa will have to... oh no. They're coming for me! [the other gnomes begin to stream into the control room] Stay back, you bastards! Stay back! [the communications link is lost]

From South Park's Red Sleigh Down episode. Season 6, Episode 17
    Last edited by wayzim; 18-Dec-2013 at 12:54 PM. Reason: B'cuz

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by wayzim View Post
    Holy Christmas Crap! I just had a thought here.

What if some bright boy ( or girl ) could option King's short story: Home Delivery, from Skipp and Spector's 1989 anthology book homage to all things Romero? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_De..._(short_story) Then they get George himself to direct it.
    Interesting! - A 2005 animated short of the story was produced and was screened at RiverRun International Film Festival, produced by Guillermo del Toro
    -Carl Sagan

UK

im onto this book soon as i reading all of kings books again, im up to the stand, i think blaze and thinner are the only books ive not read by king/bachman!

Banned
    Banned User

Aaland
    WARNING
    Mah library card is expired,RENEW

BTW anyone else notice library checkout is all automated so why does the taxpayer have to pay for all these librarians?
    Invest in the company who makes those things.Putting civil servants out of work since 2013 HARDLY,they still wobble around on our dime.
    I did not notice a personnel decrease since this automation.

End of line
    DH
    Last edited by Darkest Hour; 01-Jan-2014 at 09:19 AM. Reason: because

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordie9 View Post
    im onto this book soon as i reading all of kings books again, im up to the stand, i think blaze and thinner are the only books ive not read by king/bachman!
    Let me know what you think
    -Carl Sagan