Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My Spoiler Free Review of the pilot

England
    I've thrown it onto a flash drive and will watch it on my TV tonight.

As for watching it now and not bothering with the real deal in a few weeks...no way, I am going to be watching the official version in glorious HD on FXUK.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

England
    Hang on a sec. The version we all watched was 67mins long. Isn't it supposed to be 90mins that the reviewers are watching? Extended? Or is that 90mins of broadcast time inc ads.
    Hmmmm.
    The plot thickens
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

England
    Well, an average 60 minute broadcast usually has around 15 minutes of adds, so 23 minutes of adds on a 90 minute broadcast (leaving 67 minutes of actual programe) sounds about right to me.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Hang on a sec. The version we all watched was 67mins long. Isn't it supposed to be 90mins that the reviewers are watching? Extended? Or is that 90mins of broadcast time inc ads.
    Hmmmm.
    The plot thickens
    67 min of content + 23 min of commercials? Sounds about like the right ratio.

*EDIT* Ghah, Legion beat me to it!
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 21-Oct-2010 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Wait, that's what SHE said!

England
    Not across the pond

http://walkingdead.fxuk.com/post/135...ert-free-on-fx

We are very happy to be able to confirm the FX UK premiere of The The Walking Dead. This will take place on Friday 5th November at 10pm.

We are launching with Frank Darabont’s directors’ cut which comes in at almost 70 minutes, rather than a ‘normal’ length episode in a hour slot ( which runs for around 44 minutes).

To add to your enjoyment FX UK have decided to run this special premiere episode free of adverts. There will be no breaks, just seventy minutes of pure, uninterrupted The Walking Dead in glorious HD.

Episodes 2-6 will go out from 10-11pm every Friday.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Not across the pond
    That's because you guys are a bunch of bastards & you suck.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 21-Oct-2010 at 08:30 PM. Reason: humbug!

England
    Sold! - Simple as that really.

Need to gather my thoughts on what I have watched before I try and make any real specific comments on it, but I know that I LOVED it

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    So it appears the "directors cut" is the same as the screener that's currently making the rounds, which comes in at about 67 minutes. In UK it will air without commercials, in the US it will air WITH commercials, bringing it in at the 90 minute running time we've heard before. So the only real difference is that you guys won't have commercials? They'll slap "unrated" and "directors cut" on anything these days...

It sucks thinking that each episode after Darabonts will only be about 45 minutes long....
    Last edited by bassman; 21-Oct-2010 at 11:15 PM. Reason: ..

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed

I thought it was.....meh...

After watching this 67 minutes, I'll say if I had NOT read the comic, I would have thought it was pretty damned good...having said that, I'll just say that having read the comic (I don't know how to do the spoiler thing so I won't elaborate) that I did not care for how Rick and Shane's relationship was portrayed, at all, nor how Duane and his dad were either, and the way things ended in Atlanta were just dumb, IMO.

I will keep watching for sure, and hopefully not try and compare to much with the comic, which to me is PERFECT, and doesn't need to be tweaked this way, because what makes it so popular is that it works as is.

United States
    Saw it last night. . . . .wow. . . .just wow.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    superjoint, you gotta keep in mind that you are not the target audience. they are making it for people who aren't big followers of the comics, people who aren't huge gore-hounds, people who might not be die-hard zombie fans, etc.

they aren't trying to cater to one particular group, but make it accessible to all audiences (except for little kids, obviously). And seriously, it's an interpretation, it'd be fucking lame if they stuck it out panel-by-panel, mirroring the comic exactly.

United Kingdom
    Well, I caved in and watched it. It's almost perfect. 9.5 out of 10. If it carries on as it's started, it will be immense.
    Kill 'em All

United States
    for bassman and the rest who were wondering:

the song that plays during the final scene is "space junk" by (get ready for it) wang chung. catchy tune. never really heard much from these guys with the exception of "everybody have fun tonight".

http://new.music.yahoo.com/wang-chun...ng-97--1274425

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Well I watched it as I don’t have SKY (“UK’er” here!) and I would have had to wait for the DVD release. After seeing it I guarantee I will have the DVDs on pre-order as soon as it is available. Pretty strange to think I only heard of The Walking Dead through this forum about two months ago which resulted in me buying all twelve paperback volumes of the comic. Needless to say I am now hooked!!

Obviously the no spoiler thing makes it hard to say just how off the scale brilliant this pilot was (in my opinion of course) but the acting is better than anything I think I have ever seen in a living dead movie and I got swept along with the story quite easily. The zombies themselves creeped me out so much my sleeping pattern was affected for the first time since I saw Day of The Dead. I’m not saying they gave me nightmares but when I woke up I found myself thinking about the program and certain parts of the plot. I found myself sitting at my computer with my mouth wide open at certain points and welling up with tears at others.

In short the whole thing blew my mind away, and if I was excited about the series before seeing the pilot I am now wetting myself with anticipation.
    If Goonies never die are they all Zombies??!!

Ireland
    Another weak one here.

Watched it and thought it was a load of bollocks.

Nah, just kidding.

I was very impressed and I thought some scenes were handled with perfection, which I won't reveal here. If the rest of the episodes are as good as this was, then we really are in for a treat. Which I hope will have a long, long life and doesn't end up like 'Rome' or 'Deadwood' etc.

The makeup for the most part is top notch. Hats off to KNB.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....