Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is the general Opinion of Americans in the UK?

United States

What is the general Opinion of Americans in the UK?

I have had several friends who were British.My former band , "Interval" was produced my Youth Martin, who was the founding bassist in Killing Joke, back in 1987.I have gotten along fairly well with members of this site who are British .
    The war based on lies, seems to have painted that Americans are neurotic, fascist idiots, and are willing to destroy, indescriminately , anyone we disagree with.
    In England you have had your share of terrorist attacks too.
    I know that America would not be what it is today if we didnt have British blood, I have traced my family back to an area of Hull England, in the early 1600s.
    I had a great friend from London down in Florida, who ended up introducing me to most of the friends I had in Florida.
    I know that British soldiers, are spot on great people.
    I am interested in a no holds barred opinion of us here in the US, by all members in the UK; what do you think of Americans, not our bloody stupid administration, but the people ?
    "Goodbye , I am gone."

Undisclosed
    i have never met one personally, but our media paints a picture of fat , gun-obssessed, racist bigots ( totally NOT my opinion but one put forward by the press) also our prime minister trying to crawl up Bush ass at the slightest chance also tends to make most british people resent you rather than the spineless **** in power over here. BUT all the yanks that are on this forum are pretty cool..

England
    I work in hull bud,where they in fishing or dockworkers?plenty of both in that area!
    some people have a very negative view of Americans over here,while others only have a negative view of certain types of americans & plenty still think your mostly sound!Theres plenty to dislike about English people as well so dont be disheartened by what some peoples opinions are.We're not all stupid enough to stereotype you all But i will say that the days when everything that came out of america were thought of as cool are gone,when i was a kid it seemed like the US had the best of everything from Music & TV shows to cars etc,but it doesnt seem the case now,unless thats just my opionion because im older

United States
    I kinda figured alot of english disliked americans.

hey what do you guys think about red necks?

United States
    I have made alot very good British friends here on HpotD and USA friends as well!
    As I am one of the older people on here in my time I have seen alot of British influence here in America. Just look at our music, especially the 60's through 80's...Big influence alot of good bands came over from Britain. I am talking from my era when I was younger kids ....I can't talk too much now because I don't listen to music from now a days to much..sorry I dont get into rap and the like...not knocking it but not my cup of tea.
    Actually, I dont look as the people here as Brits and USA I look as us all people that have a common love for the zombie genre.
    We are just friends getting together talking about zombies!!

Chasing Prey

Canada
    i have friends in the UK,and some of the ideas against us is for one,they all think we voted for bush and they think we're very rude..... i didnt vote for bush and im not a rude person. i hope that helps.

United States

well...

When my boyfriend was stationed in London he said the attitudes towards Americans were like we were the scum of the Earth and that we shouldn't be in their country. He actually said he couldn't wear his uniform or any American emblems to work because some people would spit on him. The only place he felt 'safe' was at the Texas Embassy which was some kind of restaurant I figure. From people i've been friends with from Britain the overall opinion seems to be that we're ignorant, gun crazy, and generally obese people. I dont think they're wrong but i'd like to know how they are over the pond.
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

Super Moderator

UK
    The sort of Brits who spit on Americans and think of them as scum, are themselves - SCUM, or students trying to look good in front of the hippy chicks to try and get into their hemp undies...

It's a bit rich, because Britain is as despised as America these days, just look at the tactical voting in Eurovision - but everybody's all too pleased to accept out money, services and help - just like when it comes from America - but then they poke us in the eye afterwards, so really America and Britain are in the same boat these days.

Likewise, Britain and America both have morons in charge, there's also plenty of nobheads in the UK and the USA, but there's also a lot of really nice people in both countries and all the in-betweens.

I personally like America in general, but I don't like many things about the country/gubment (but then again I despise many things to do with Britsh government, as we all know by now, haha!)

Anyway, it's all about the individual, I've met some downright wankerish Americans online, but also some really cool Americans, really friendly and normal folk, same on both ends for Brits and other folk. It's all about the individual, rather than the representative nation, people who judge so stereotypically and closed-mindedly deserve nothing short of neutering.

United Kingdom
    The only difference I've noticed that I can generalise from the (few) American people I've met (as in in the real world, not online) is that they seem much friendlier and WAY more polite than the average Brit!

I don't know if maybe it's because I've only met Americans outside of America, and maybe you're always on your best behaviour when you're not on home ground, but the stereotype of Americans as being rude seems completely unfounded to me. Either that, or British people are just so unbelievably rude that they make everyone else look good by comparison I could believe that. I think the stereotype of british people as being uber-reserved and obsessed with good manners and etiquette is about as far from the truth as you can get (in GENERAL of course); either that or it's just very outdated and I'm too young to remember a time when people weren't rude bastards.

Do you think Americans might be the new old-school Brits in terms of etiquette, Christianity and shyness regarding sex?? I seem to remember one American guy I was talking to saying that sex seemed more of an embarassing/ intimate subject among his mates (and gf) in the US, or at least that it wasn't talked about and treated as casually as it is over here. I have no idea if this is generally the case or whether he just hung out with prudes back home.

What a long post! Any thoughts?
    La freak, c'est chic!

.:Twitter:.:Facebook:.:Blogspot:.

Super Moderator

UK
    So I guess we're kind of switching social roles these days eh?

I will agree that sex is generally treated quite frankly here in the UK, well not necessarily by parents who are still very shy about it all (although my mum was very involved in helping me with biology homework/revision in Year 7 when we did the sex unit - which I scored a perfect 25/25 on - haha, see what captures my attention, eh? )

Anyway, I switched on the TV this morning at about 10:30am or something on Channel 4, and it was a show about teenage girls discussing ... *wait for it, any shy American folk out there* ... orgasms and masturbation.

I'm not kidding, it took me by surprise, but then again a few years back I turned on BBC2 in the morning (I'm talking "This Morning" zone) and there was an entire family prancing around their house stark bollock/fanny naked, including their feckin' child!

There were all these low angle shots of dangly boobs and saggy balls, hahaha ... that show always stuck in my head ... and speaking of nudity on TV, that bottled water advert with a shedload of naked babies syncho-swimming was just on (with their 'tachty-bits' given the Ken & Barbie CGI treatment thankfully).

Where were we again?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    well techincally america IS the fattest country in the world, though i think it IS officially like 40% texas' fault. but hey they love there beef so wadd'ya gonna do.
    my view is the same as england, theres a minority of people with individual tastes and views and the majority are white trash retards, same there, same here.
    and waht do i think of hillbillys?, sheer comic entertainement.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    The correct answer is "who gives a damn?"

Undisclosed
    Mhm opinion is mixed from where I stand..Ive met alot of bastard americans online and offline so as everyone has said its down to the indivdual. Although the stereotype is pretty much the obese, gun toting, fundamental christian type and alot of jokes are made by college lecturers ( "We the un-accountably posh people who are college lecturers" anyone want to catch the quotage?")

Its not a good stereotype but hey it lurks like all of them, how many have I heard "GO DRINK SOME TEA!" While playing online oiy

Rednecks? We have our own rednecks down here in good ole Cornwall but we call em hillbillies,yokels or at least I do. Seems similair to a redneck: works on a farm, inbred, slow talking, owns a shotgun, looked down upon the nation, evolutionary throwback?

Once again another useless stereotype except for in the case of camborne where all the rumors are true.
    Why arent you laughing?

Banned User

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Freak View Post
    The only difference I've noticed that I can generalise from the (few) American people I've met (as in in the real world, not online) is that they seem much friendlier and WAY more polite than the average Brit!

I don't know if maybe it's because I've only met Americans outside of America, and maybe you're always on your best behaviour when you're not on home ground, but the stereotype of Americans as being rude seems completely unfounded to me. Either that, or British people are just so unbelievably rude that they make everyone else look good by comparison I could believe that. I think the stereotype of british people as being uber-reserved and obsessed with good manners and etiquette is about as far from the truth as you can get (in GENERAL of course); either that or it's just very outdated and I'm too young to remember a time when people weren't rude bastards.

Do you think Americans might be the new old-school Brits in terms of etiquette, Christianity and shyness regarding sex?? I seem to remember one American guy I was talking to saying that sex seemed more of an embarassing/ intimate subject among his mates (and gf) in the US, or at least that it wasn't talked about and treated as casually as it is over here. I have no idea if this is generally the case or whether he just hung out with prudes back home.

What a long post! Any thoughts?
    Depends on which Americans you meet I guess... Most New Englanders (Myself included) as elitist asses, who look down on anyone and everyone outside of Connecticut, Massachusetts or Rhode Island. I am still struggling with not labeling anyone outside of CT a redneck, its hard, but I am getting there. New Englanders also tend to be the "rude" Americans. Or so I am told.

Sunny Gulfland, Within sight of the Beautiful Manatee River
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I'm not kidding, it took me by surprise, but then again a few years back I turned on BBC2 in the morning (I'm talking "This Morning" zone) and there was an entire family prancing around their house stark bollock/fanny naked, including their feckin' child!
    Nothing wrong with that, I grew up in a naturist home. Why it's on T.V. is beyond me though.

Any pointers from the masturbation show I should know about?

M_