Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Second Sight Dawn of the Dead 4k Ultra HD Limited Edition Set

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Mono is the original audio as designed by the original sound designer in 1978. There are purists who would be giving out if it wasn't mono.

The 5.1 mix was never in the original film in the first place, so it's purely an enhancement done for the home market.

I'm on the fence about 5.1 remixes for Blu Ray releases myself. Sometimes they can be ok. Sometimes they can be terrible, al la 'Jaws', who's original (mono/stereo) audio mix is a far meatier affair. The 5.1 mix sounds sparse and light by comparison. The original audio just sounds better and "right". The 5.1 remix sounds completely artificial.
    The 5.1 for Day is very bad.

Ireland
    Mmmm, cut dialogue too.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleydude666 View Post
    Well after all the bitching about Zavvi that laid out here over the past week my package came yesterday, a month late but it showed up. Anyway, the extended cut does not have the 5.1 sound but the theatrical one does
    Mono is the original audio as designed by the original sound designer in 1978. There are purists who would be giving out if it wasn't mono.

The 5.1 mix was never in the original film in the first place, so it's purely an enhancement done for the home market.

I'm on the fence about 5.1 remixes for Blu Ray releases myself. Sometimes they can be ok. Sometimes they can be terrible, al la 'Jaws', who's original (mono/stereo) audio mix is a far meatier affair. The 5.1 mix sounds sparse and light by comparison. The original audio just sounds better and "right". The 5.1 remix sounds completely artificial.
    Yeah, the 5.1 mix would have been done for the theatrical version for some previous release, but it won't have been done for those additional minutes of footage in the Cannes Cut, so that'll be why there won't be a 5.1 mix for it.

However, I despise these artificial remixes on films as they are not what the movie was intended to sound like. They hop in there and split things up, but in doing so they need to then re-do a bunch of sound effects. For example - The Terminator - all the gunshots sound totally different now and, for instance, the tunnel shotgun fight sound awful compared to the original hard as fuck awesome meaty shotgun blasts of the original mix (the original audio track has not been made available on UK releases, just to rub it in).

Jaws, as Shoot says, is another shite example - for instance: the word "bitch" is censored by a newly positioned gunshot, and additional new sound effects have a totally different fidelity to them compared to the original sound effects, such as when glass is breaking aboard the sinking boat in the climax. They stick out like a sore thumb and sound awful.

1.0 mono is how Dawn was original mixed and how it was intended to sound with the technology they had available. It's not like Apocalypse Now, which originally had a 5.1 mix as that was new technology they were pushing. These artificial remixes screw up too many things and remixed films simply 'sound wrong'.

Proper crap.

Administrator

England
    Just found out 4K Bluray is region free? Is that correct?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    IIRC the 4K UHD format is a region free format in general.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Dude. You're in the UK! Just order it!

Ireland
    Currently at £122 on Amazon uk. That's an insane amount of money to drop on a movie, regardless of the extras in the package.

Super Moderator

UK
    Currently at £122 on Amazon uk. That's an insane amount of money to drop on a movie, regardless of the extras in the package.
    I presume that'll be a marketplace seller? Price gouging scalper bastards. I've seen a fair few of them advertised in movie groups on social media, people who either bought two (for covering their ass in case a company dropped the ball, or simply looking to break even/make a profit in the long run).

I've seen a lot of that, too, with the new Xbox console. Marketplace sellers slinging it for damn near £1000. Wankers. Only fools would play along with that game.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Dude. You're in the UK! Just order it!
    Alas £80 doesn't sit well with me. And I don't even have a 4K player (yet)
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I presume that'll be a marketplace seller? Price gouging scalper bastards. I've seen a fair few of them advertised in movie groups on social media, people who either bought two (for covering their ass in case a company dropped the ball, or simply looking to break even/make a profit in the long run).

I've seen a lot of that, too, with the new Xbox console. Marketplace sellers slinging it for damn near £1000. Wankers. Only fools would play along with that game.
    One feeds the other.

Either way, there's no chance I'll be flipping the money they're asking for on a film I've seen so many times that I could act in it. Whether it's 80 quid or 120. That's just way too much money. I'll check out the non LE version if/when it arrives.

But, yeah, this scalper shit is an absolute scourge on a lot of things these days.

Super Moderator

UK
    Alas £80 doesn't sit well with me. And I don't even have a 4K player (yet)
    Get the Blu-Ray version then? I got mine for £65.

Super Moderator

UK
    FYI, from Second Sight:

We will be announcing a date for the non-Limited Edition releases later this week.

From our Limited Edition run of 18,000 UHD and 6,000 Blu-ray we have just 400 left in stock of each format, going quickly but still time to order!
    Make your mind up time, folks.

Administrator

England
    What's the difference between the limited and non-limited editions then?
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    The non-limited will probably just be the three discs with the film and nothing else.

It's for losers only.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 12-Jan-2021 at 01:59 PM. Reason: dsfds

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    The non-limited will probably just be the three discs with the film and nothing else.

It's for losers only.

They haven't announced it yet, but I'd guess it'd be the three versions of the movie plus the extra features disc and that's all.

I'd presume that the three soundtrack CDs, the two books, and the super duper packaging would be Limited Edition only.

So if you do want that LE version, crack on before they soon run out.