Thread: Salvaging the last Dornier 17 (WW2 plane)

Administrator

England

Salvaging the last Dornier 17 (WW2 plane)

A project starts today to salvage the world's last Dornier 17 from 50ft down in the English Channel.

It will take a few weeks to bring it up, and then for 18months it will be showered in citric acid to clean it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22380915

Work begins on Friday to raise a unique World War II aircraft from the floor of the English Channel just off the Kent coast. The Dornier 17 aircraft is the last of its kind, and lies in 50ft of water on the Goodwin Sands. The salvage is just the start of a two-year restoration project by the RAF Museum in Hendon.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Cool.

If that article is correct with the call sign, 5 Konrad Anton Richard (5K + AR), then the plane is from III/KG3, or Group 3, Bomber Wing 3.

Hendon's RAF museum is well worth a trip, if you've never been.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Nearly there - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22746342

A plan to raise a unique World War Two aircraft from the bottom of the English Channel has been brought forward by a day because of poor weather.

Divers will now attempt to raise the only surviving WWII Dornier 17 bomber on Sunday at 21:00 BST
    - - - Updated - - -

Postponed for a week - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22752625
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    I think that's going to take a lot more work than most people anticipated. It's really not in that great a nick.

The cleaning process alone is going to take ages.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I think that's going to take a lot more work than most people anticipated. It's really not in that great a nick.

The cleaning process alone is going to take ages.
    60+ years in the sea? I think it looks remarkably good
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    70+ ?

:P

What I mean is that the encrusted crap and manufacture of missing parts is going to be a difficult endevour. It would be a great project to work on.

I wonder if they can get their hands on some original RLM paints. RLM70/71/65 will be needed.