Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oddities of zombies...

United States

Oddities of zombies...

Just a lil post to group together things we can take from zombie flicks about zombies...

So aside from zombies being afraid of fire (in dawn 78)

They can hear you

They're somewhat clumsy

I really didn't like land of the dead because that movie seemed to make the zombies evolve together (whereas in Day it was Bub that was singled out to evolve) into vengeful creatures that sought revenge for their fallen comrades and they also were smart when they were pretending to be human...

They also tend to travel together like a flock of birds... where

one goes they all seem to go...

I dont think that they can smell but its strange (at least to me) that they dont care whether they're biting through your clothing in order to get to your flesh...

anyone have anything to add?
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

Christmas Island
    Just some yuckky things:

Lack of fluid discharge. Sure if you shoot or stick 'em they gush blood but when folks die and decay there's some foul fluid discharge that comes out of practically orifice or wound on the body. Except for attack/defense damage the dead are pretty clean, fluid-wise.

Teeth. You never see a zombie's tooth break off in mid-bite. I'm not sure how strong a person's teeth are after they die but with zombies bumping into things and falling down on their faces now and then I would imagine at least a few of their teeth would loosen up and come tearing out of their mouths during an attack.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The different colors that they turn. Why are some green, blue or gray?( don't day the make up ) I'm sure it has something to do with blood colagulation and how long they've actually been dead.

Undisclosed
    Good Question. Well first off, to go back to the zombies of Land...I think they evolved together because they were all really confined to one particular area. They fell into a routine and this is evident by Big Daddy hearing a bell sound indicating a car should've been there. That's why he comes out. I have always thought of the confined limitations of that one city block (or more) as being left pretty much untouched since the outbreak and therefore the zombies kinda got use to seeing and working together. When the time for change came, they were all too willing to follow Big Daddy and that is the reason for the mass jump in "learning" to work together, using instruments to attack (besides rocks or things like that...Remember, Big Daddy had a jack hammer because he saw what it could do. He put 2 + 2 together and got 4). The reasoning was basic but for a zombie, it was a big deal. The leadership of Big Daddy was made prevalent when he decided to take a swim and they followed. Before that, he motioned (and grunted) to the butcher zombie to use his meat cleaver on the boarded up wall in order to gain access into the city.

Boy...that was a long rant. Sorry, I'm new here and kinda like it. Anyhoo...what other traits?:

1) They can see well (evident by night attacks),
    2) They have a stronger than thought grasp (since they can tear people open and apart),
    3) They obviously have some sort of "special" perception that allows them to locate or "see". Remember the almost-headless priest? He walked right up to the vehicle and slung his head over to bite that guy,
    4) They can hold grudges: Remember the Cholo zombie? He followed Dennis Hopper's character even after he had died.
    5) An evolved zombie can obviously remember alot. Big Daddy even remembered how explosive gas was and planned to use it to kill Hopper's Character.
    6) The dead guy who hung himself in the apartment...he turned into a regular zombie. He had no rememberance of his son or wife. He went after both. So, "regular" zombies who are not evolved like Big Daddy and the gang have a blinding hunger...but we knew that already.

These are just a few off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMan View Post
    6) The dead guy who hung himself in the apartment...he turned into a regular zombie. He had no rememberance of his son or wife. He went after both. So, "regular" zombies who are not evolved like Big Daddy and the gang have a blinding hunger...but we knew that already.
    That's always a problem i had with the evolution of the zombies in land. Even though i thought it was a horrible idea, i'll conceed for the sake of argument that zombies over time evovled. However that argument should not apply to cholo because he was newly turned. There was no time for him to evolve. You could perhaps say the same thing about bub, but he was the exception not the rule. Just a percieved inconsistency i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMan View Post
    Boy...that was a long rant. Sorry, I'm new here and kinda like it. Anyhoo...what other traits?:
    It's cool. we were all new here once. We all did it. I know in my case i just couldn't believe that others loved these films as much as i did. I never had anyone who i could express this stuff to. You're just letting out years of repressed zombie communication.
    Last edited by darth los; 18-Jun-2007 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Last edited by darth los; 18-Jun-2007 at 01:47 AM.

United States
    Shadow I have to warn you its time you watched the other zombie movies because Land sucks compared to them

The reason the zombie makeup seemed blue in Dawn was because of the makeup they used and Savini was disappointed that on the screen they looked much different. He was going for a more gray like zombie ...i'm thinking Roger was the best zombie makeup but what was strange about his makeup was his face was so strange whereas most of the zombies still looked like the blueberry gal from Willy Wonka.

The teeth thing is a great point as is the bodily fluids. Which brings me to something else... a good lot of the zombies you see dont have any wounds that would turn them into a zombie (mostly seen in Dawn) which is a little odd...

And for some reason in the first three of the holy trilogy they dont smell... really didn't dig that ITYWB (i tell ya what boy)
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJacksonCA View Post
    Shadow I have to warn you its time you watched the other zombie movies because Land sucks compared to them

The reason the zombie makeup seemed blue in Dawn was because of the makeup they used and Savini was disappointed that on the screen they looked much different. He was going for a more gray like zombie ...i'm thinking Roger was the best zombie makeup but what was strange about his makeup was his face was so strange whereas most of the zombies still looked like the blueberry gal from Willy Wonka.

The teeth thing is a great point as is the bodily fluids. Which brings me to something else... a good lot of the zombies you see dont have any wounds that would turn them into a zombie (mostly seen in Dawn) which is a little odd...

And for some reason in the first three of the holy trilogy they dont smell... really didn't dig that ITYWB (i tell ya what boy)

Well not all zombies turn because of bites. Being that the plauge was fairly new at an estimated 3 weeks at the beginning of the film you could safely say that most of the zeds were just people who died for whatever reasons people usually die from and turned.

The reason why roger's make up was probably more high quality was because, being a prominently featured zombie, the close up shot would reveal any shoddy make up. Most of the zombies in the film were probably coated with a layer of white make up, with the excption of the airport zombie, given the requisite flannel shirt and they were good to go.

Christmas Island
    Another oddity, and this has been mentioned before in past threads but may as well put it in the oddities thread, is the lack of insects. Zombies should've been covered in flies and what not. Another one is the lack of huge feral dog packs that would feed off the dead. And rats. The dead thing would've created a huge surplus in the rat population.

I'm beginning to think the main problem for the living would not have been the living dead but the lack of pest control measures .

Undisclosed
    Hey Ms. Jackson. Thanks for the warning, but I have seen all of them and I am a huge fan of Romero. I guess with my mind, I just try to reason out the situation and bring it into a possible scenario. You should see me when I go to shopping malls. I'm always looking for different "safe" spots where one could hide if the living dead were an actual plague. This buggs my friend to death! lol Oh well...all in good fun!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusIncredulous View Post
    Another oddity, and this has been mentioned before in past threads but may as well put it in the oddities thread, is the lack of insects. Zombies should've been covered in flies and what not. Another one is the lack of huge feral dog packs that would feed off the dead. And rats. The dead thing would've created a huge surplus in the rat population.

I'm beginning to think the main problem for the living would not have been the living dead but the lack of pest control measures .

That's if they don't first eat the rats and dogs who are trying to feed on them.

United States
    Oh my gosh Shadow you dont know how good that makes me feel to hear you're always looking for safe spots in the malls and such because I've done that my whole fraking life! I always thought I was the only one that way but I mean in the event of any emergency at least I'd be the one in a safe place or at least safer place than the poor suckers surrounding me. Perhaps its paranoia to some people but its actually quite fun! Taught me to be a good climber too.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    they should be decaying QUICKLY since rigormortis has already set in and they keep moving. legs should be snapping worldwide unless bub gets a truck full of knee braces PRONTO

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    How about the numerous times throughout the trilogy where zombies appear to be atleast jogging? Bill hinzman and the 2 kids at the airport are classic examples.

Canada
    i don't think the decay arguement holds up with zombies...they aren't natural, and if it is caused by a virus, the virus will want to ensure it can spread to as many hosts as possible. this could mean that it slows down the decay process in the corpse so it would survive longer to continue spreading.

thats just for a virus themed rising though...I'd imagine it would be the same for all cases, but again, up to the person who writes the stuff.