Thread: Ratings hit!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Down again 7.9m. Lowest since season 2.

http://deadline.com/2017/11/walking-...mc-1202213137/
    Bummer.

Various things going on - sporting and awards events - plus:
    On the Live + 3 metric, TWD has seen lifts of around 40% over the first four episodes of this season, a fact that keeps AMC smiling
    So there's more time shift viewing going on. This is something that gets reported more these days and is also something that gets more attention from the channels. Twin Peaks S3 and The Deuce both did well in their live ratings, but they also had very healthy 'time shift' figures that really bolstered their numbers - just two examples I'd heard of recently, and I'd imagine there's others.

Although we've also seen many instances where some of the best episodes get 'viewer dips', while the episode that follows sometimes sees a rise because the previous one was so good. Go figure.

England
    The time shift thing makes sense. I haven't had time to watch Sunday/Mondays episode myself yet.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    The time shift thing makes sense. I haven't had time to watch Sunday/Mondays episode myself yet.
    It's probably going to be a more common thing, especially for shows that are 'growing old' into their later seasons once the peak has come and gone. People are still watching, but fewer might watch when it's airing.

I jumble my viewing around all over the place. Sometimes I'll watch live, sometimes I'll time shift, sometimes I'll record and save for later. It kind of depends on the length of various shows/movies/recordings and how much time I've got between things (e.g. it's always nice to have something of 30-60 minutes to slip in somewhere).

Plus: binge-viewing culture. Some of our members here record 8 or 16 episodes of TWD and wait to blast all/half a season in a condensed period of time. Meanwhile I watch it within 24 hours of airing and then buy the box set somewhere around December to binge re-watch it in January.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 22-Nov-2017 at 04:43 PM.

England

MY HOME CINEMA

England

MY HOME CINEMA

England
    Last edited by kidgloves; 12-Dec-2017 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Gggg

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    Time-shifting has been giving The Walking Dead bigger boosts in recent seasons, as many lingering fans have opted to watch on their own schedule. The most recent episode, for example, saw its audience jump 45 percent in just three days — climbing to 10.7 million viewers.
    So an extra 3.3m roughly for last week's episode once the +3 ratings were included. So it's quite clear that some people are time shifting. I imagine that'll be down to numerous factors - the show has, objectively, passed its peak like all shows of a certain age, it's seen as less 'appointment viewing' by some people, and I'd also wager that the deployment of commercials during the live airing puts off a percentage of the audience as well. Plus there are certain issues that need addressing (some viewers then just ditch the show entirely, but probably weren't as invested as all that if they can drop it so quickly, and others might react disproportionately harshly, and others have just grown tired).

Arguably, two more seasons to cap everything off with a clear end game in mind (plus correcting certain mistakes/problems) would be a wise move.

Super Moderator

UK
    Some more ratings info here, including DVR figures:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wa...son_8)#Ratings

DVR figures regularly over 4 million, so 11 to 13 million (live + DVR) per episode.

England

MY HOME CINEMA

England
    If anyone wants to take over please do. I haven't comeback and I've been away on holiday/vacation so not watching any tv.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    If anyone wants to take over please do. I haven't comeback and I've been away on holiday/vacation so not watching any tv.
    The basic live-viewing figures for 8x10 and 8x11 were 6.8m and 6.6m respectively. However, add in Live+3 DVR viewers for 8x10 and the figure is 9.8m viewers in America.

Super Moderator

UK
    Let's catch up on some basic live airing figures from Wiki...

8x12 = 6.66m
    8x13 = 6.77m
    8x14 = 6.3m
    8x15 = 6.67m
    8x16 = 7.92m

And for point of reference 8.28m was, naturally, the highest live figure this half-season (8b) for 8x09.

7.82m was the average live figure for the entire Season 8.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It should probably come as no surprise, but the show has now hit it’s lowest viewing numbers ever, with the latest episode having only 4.5 million views. This of course doesn’t directly represent the quality of the new episodes, which I haven’t seen since Rick’s departure, but it’s probably a sign that the powers that be will be trying to shake up the show’s formula even more in an attempt to revive it.

https://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/...t-ratings-ever
    Last edited by bassman; 20-Feb-2019 at 08:31 PM. Reason: .

Ireland
    Yeh, no surprises there whatsoever.

Honestly can't see many more seasons out of this to be honest.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Rising

United States
    It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that eliminating Rick from the show, even if you are planning on continuing his story elsewhere, would have an impact on the show's viewership. Viewers tend to think of TWD basically as "Rick's story". Removing him from the show was a big mistake.