Thread: 360 cooling fan/system

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

360 cooling fan/system

My girlfriend just called to let me know that my 360 finally arrived back home from Microsoft(about 1 1/2 weeks - not bad). The reason I sent it off was because of over heating but now it's been fixed.

My question is, I've seen those exterior cooling fans that connect to the back of the system at Wal Mart for only 20 bucks. Is that worth it or did Microsoft most likely repair that problem and it won't happen again? I'm thinking the $20.00 is worth it just for back up.

Any thoughts?

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Just buy a small desk fan and have that blowing on the back of the 360. Microsoft did not do anything to your system that will prevent it from happening again, so PLEASE keep it out of your damn entertainment center and away from anything that emits a lot of heat! Those cooling systems that connect to your console are nightmares, don't get one; I've heard countless stories of people talking about how they break down and get SEARED to your 360... so DO NOT put one of them on your console.

United States
    The 360 Intercooler is a sham, don't buy it. Microsoft should have fixed the problem anyway, just don't keep it in a cramped area and you should be ok.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Believe me....I'm not going to put it back in the entertainment center. I guess that answers my question, though. I figured that fan would be a good buy, but I'll just use a small fan. Bottle caps too, right?

Undisclosed
    The Innercooler works for cooling the system. It does a great job in fact, but its a parasite. It hooks up where the power supply is at and the power has to go through the fan first, before reaching the system. Your system has to run harder as a result and shortens its life.

A small fan would work or you could buy a verical stand/fan/ rechargeable battery staion with its own ac adapter made by GameShark/MadKatz. Its around $20-$25.

Undisclosed
    I am still using my original 360 that I bought the day it was released. I use the Nikko intercooler and it seems to work fine...a little loud but when pumped through the surround who cares! I am not saying that the only reason my unit has not had RROD is due to the intercooler.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy911sc View Post
    I am still using my original 360 that I bought the day it was released. I use the Nikko intercooler and it seems to work fine...a little loud but when pumped through the surround who cares! I am not saying that the only reason my unit has not had RROD is due to the intercooler.
    I never had the red ring of death. It just froze constantly. It probably would have eventually had the rrod if I kept trying to play it, though. I'm so excited to have it back. Can't wait to get home and play GTAIV. I was so pissed that the thing f*cked up RIGHT after I got GTAIV.

United Kingdom
    I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, I've had my 360 since christmas 2006 and has run fine with no special attention given to it

Good to hear you can finally enjoy GTAIV now