View Poll Results: How many replies to a thread is too many?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • More than 10 is too many

0 0%
  • Much more than 40 is too much

5 19.23%
  • Over 100 and I can't follow the thread

4 15.38%
  • 400+ seems to be a bit much

4 15.38%
  • Why would I want a limit?

13 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maximum Replies Desired

United States

Maximum Replies Desired

I have been curious about this for some time, so I thought I would ask the question and see what everyone else thinks. How many replies do you think is "too much" for one thread? On the one hand, as more and more replies come in to any given thread, sometimes more and more new and interesting information keeps pouring in. On the other hand, sometimes a few people are having good discussions, but on something far different than the original topic, and the total number of replies makes it hard to follow either topic. There are several points that could be made in favor of a lot of replies, or perferring a limited number of replies, what do you think?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    I have been curious about this for some time, so I thought I would ask the question and see what everyone else thinks. How many replies do you think is "too much" for one thread?
    The "Why People Hate LOTD" thread.

I really don't think there can be too many replies. I like seeing what everyone thinks. Even though it's often off topic.

Undisclosed
    *cough cough* Three word story!....Word Association...

that being said I dont think there should be a limit but some things are just plain irritating...

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    The "Why People Hate LOTD" thread.
    preach it man!

Kazakhstan
    well i know what you mean, it can be a bit hard to follow, but conversations evolve and move on from the original topic, there's always other threads, you can start a new one, and at the end of the day you can always just read the 100+ posts.

Undisclosed
    I think it all really depends on the thread topic and the people involved in the conversation.

It also depends on wether or not you have a Mod in a bad mood watching the thread as well.

Admittedly, some threads get way off topic and out of hand, and sometimes very heated. But damn, isn't that why we are hear?

What the hell kinda community would this be if we all had to tow the line, watch what we said, and bite our toungues for fear of offending someone (or a Mod) and yes the Mods have been a little overboard lately!

These forums have been here a long time (as have I) and it just seems like lately there is almost a "crackdown" if you will towards certain topics of discussion.

For cripes sake, this is an election year in the US, of course there will be political discussions. Every forum I participate on has had heated political discussions this year.

I don't think you can put a limit on the number of replies to a particular thread, that certainly depends on where the discussion goes based on those replies, but you can certainly recognize when a thread is trailing off topic. Is that a bad thing? To each his own.

All I can say is that when they do go astray, whatch what you say or Big Brotha will bring the heavy thumb of oppression down upon your azz!
    "I Like Your Christ, I Do Not Like Your Christians,
    Your Christians Are So Unlike Your Christ."
    ~Mohandas K. Ghandi

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    well i know what you mean, it can be a bit hard to follow, but conversations evolve and move on from the original topic, there's always other threads, you can start a new one

Thats why I liked the old forum....

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

Super Moderator

UK
    I voted 400, but that's for threads which aren't like Word Association or 3 Word Story. For instance, the 'LOTD hate mongering' thread has gone on daaaaaaaamn long. It'd be so much easier if VBB would have a proper threaded option, none of that "more replies below..." whatever link.

Geez, remember some of the mammoth threads that got going on HPOTD Loom when a whole thread would be displayed out right, rather than 'going into a separate room' like we do these days? hehe, some of them took up the whole damn page!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie
    It'd be so much easier if VBB would have a proper threaded option, none of that "more replies below..." whatever link.
    AWESOME!!!!!! I have been saying this since the new site started! Finally someone understands how I feel about the "more replies " thing!

United States

Too many is like drinking for 4 days straight ...

You cant see , forget about feeding yourself , and fergoshsakes kant speel fer sheeeiite !
    "Goodbye , I am gone."

Super Moderator

UK
    It's my main gripe with VBB software, their insistence on linear views when blatantly a threaded view (which has apparently "gone out of style" ) is the best option - especially when you can see the whole lot, so you can skip back and forth and all around. If you join a large thread late in the day, forget about it...

That said, I'm dealin' with it ... still though, grrrr...damnit VBB, release a real threaded view ... or at least tweak the current one a bit.

capncnut
    I voted for the final option. The more replies the better I say!

United States
    I miss the threaded view also, and to be honest; if a topic already has more than 20 posts by the time I log in, I rarely bother reading it.

That being said...I voted no limit. Why stop a conversation, when you can merrily pass it by?

United States
    I Voted over 100 if I get there after that many...F that I wont even bother to read it.

Haiti
    Let 'em run on I say. If the topic is an interesting one and members continue to have fun within that thread then why not?
    The reasoning man who scorns the prejudices of simpletons necessarily becomes the enemy of simpletons; he must expect as much, and laugh at the inevitable.
    Marquis De Sade.