Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe Dante: No Gremlins 3 due to CGI

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Joe Dante: No Gremlins 3 due to CGI

The idea of a Gremlins 3 has been tossed around for a few years now, even getting to the point of director Joe Dante saying they were about to get the green light. Now, he says it won't happen. The main reason? The invention of, and hollywood's reliance on, CGI.

"There are no plans in the offing to do another Gremlins movie. I think that because of the CGI situation and the fact that you can now do anything when you make a movie... the original films were limited by the scope of what we could do technically, and that's what the movies became about. Now it's so wide-open, you can almost do anything, and I don't think they've got a handle on what kind of movie it would be."

"I think it's probably time for me to let somebody new take a shot at it. I did Gremlins 2, which was my deconstruction of Gremlins, and I don't want to do a deconstruction of both of them."
    I would absolutely love to see him handle a third Gremlins, but you've got to give it to him....he's got a point. It's nice to see a director stand up to Hollywood's cheap CGI ways and say "nope....it doesn't work that way." It's also nice of him to be open to another director remaking the original. Maybe they'll get him to be involved as a producer.

*sigh* No more Gizmo. Fuck CGI and the way they rely on it for everything...
    Last edited by bassman; 09-Sep-2010 at 09:55 PM.

United States
    I fu*king love Germlins!

I agree 100% with Dante, either anmatronics, or no Germlins 3.

No, CGI BS.

United States
    Great point that the LACK of CGI forced a certain creativity. Just because you CAN do ANYTHING doesn't mean you SHOULD do EVERYTHING...if you know what I mean...

United States
    If they had done a new "Gremlins 3" or a "Gremlins" re-make (just wait) I would have boycotted it as a cheap CGI re-make or sequel -- as it would have been. It's good to know Dante feels the same way. Now I'll just have to boycott the new "Planet of the Apes" film coming up as looking stupid...

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Now I'll just have to boycott the new "Planet of the Apes" film coming up as looking stupid...
    Hopefully it will be a bit better than Burton's. I don't expect it to be like Conquest, but at least they're not trying to remake the original again.

Also...I like Franco. Ever since Freaks and Geeks I thought he was a good actor. Can't wait to see him in Boyle's 127 Hours....

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Great point that the LACK of CGI forced a certain creativity. Just because you CAN do ANYTHING doesn't mean you SHOULD do EVERYTHING...if you know what I mean...
    Aye!

A fridge too far

Boooo! Even new spoilers don't work. I had hoped it was only old as had been reported.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 09-Sep-2010 at 11:07 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Boooo! Even new spoilers don't work. I had hoped it was only old as had been reported.
    I was swiftly clicking that thing over and over like "WHY WON'T IT OPEN?!?!?"

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I was swiftly clicking that thing over and over like "WHY WON'T IT OPEN?!?!?"
    You wouldn't have liked it anyway, Bassman...it was an Indiana/Fridge joke

Wait a sec...Lucas/Spielberg got to the forum!
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 09-Sep-2010 at 11:18 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    You wouldn't have liked it anyway, Bassman...it was an Indiana/Fridge joke

Wait a sec...Lucas/Spielberg got to the forum!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Eh, honestly i think it'd be better to remake the original now instead of a third one. Its like this is to ghostbusters what rocky is to rambo. both where popular 80's franchises, but one has a bit more of a timeless quality and is still recognizable more often in popular culture.

Like the karate kid, for a new generation for whom it will quite possibly be there first film in the franchise it was much better to remake it than do like karate kid 6 or whatever its numerically up to now, yknow?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    ehhh...I would have to disagree there, hellsing. Both GB and Gremlins have a timeless quality to them(disregarding the effects). There's really no need to remake them yet as they both work wonderfully by today's standards. I believe they would be making the smarter move if they made a "where are they now?" sequel rather than a remake. Something to show where Billy and Gizmo are today. And who wouldn't mind seeing Phoebe Cates again?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    ehhh...I would have to disagree there, hellsing. Both GB and Gremlins have a timeless quality to them(disregarding the effects). There's really no need to remake them yet as they both work wonderfully by today's standards. I believe they would be making the smarter move if they made a "where are they now?" sequel rather than a remake. Something to show where Billy and Gizmo are today. And who wouldn't mind seeing Phoebe Cates again?
    I'd rather see a sequel than a re-make of anything any day of the week.

Bass: Just out of curiosity, why are you Atticus Finch now (this may have been asked before but I don't feel like searching for it)? I found the avatar of you doing an interpretation of a Down's syndrome individual in wonder to be entertaining, and Atticus Finch just isn't as entertaining.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Dude, I love Atticus! Anyway, yeah, I think a third Gremlins film with 80s effects would be awesome. Too bad that'll probably never happen... sigh.
    Oh, and hellsing? It would be up to 5 now for the karate kid, if they did a sequel (I'm pretty sure). I really liked the remake, but... it was Kung Fu, not Karate... very different... oh well, that's Hollywood, I guess. And Will Smith's family.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Dude, I love Atticus!
    I love the character and I like the avatar! It's had me wanting to reread To Kill a Mockingbird lately.

United States
    filmmakers standing up to the CGI-craze makes me happy and gives me a bit of hope for the future of the medium...seriously, this shit with yogi bear, the smurfs, etc getting full length movies, the over-use of it in the new star wars trilogy, romero's retarded gags, and remaking everyfuckingthingknown to man just cuz "think of how cool it'd look with today's technology!!!!!!!1!!!1" shit is played out beyond belief.

mini-rant over.