Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morbid Question of theDay: 'Slaying' the recently Deceased

Super Moderator

United States

Morbid Question of theDay: 'Slaying' the recently Deceased

I've always thought it interesting in zombie stories, both film and written media, when the survivors are faced with the reality of having to 'eliminate'/destroy an infected person after they have died and the survivor(s) are certain s/he will revive as an undead monstrosity.

I've often wondered why some people wait to see their former compatriot revive before shooting or bashing them in the head with a tire iron or the like. Perhaps the most famous example of this is when Roger revives in DOTD. I'm sure there's a lot of possible reasons, such as the need to see it for themselves and observe the phenomenon, some oldhands at the idea of a zombie apocalypse I'm sure would suggest it's a great litmus test to see if whatever caused the undead to rise is still in effect, while others presumably would have their own emotional reasons for doing so.

In any event, do you think your the type of person who would have waited to see a friend rise from the dead before doing them in for good? Yes? No? Would you even kill them or just let them rise and either contain them or let them loose? Would it make a difference if they were not a friend and, say, an enemy? Would you feel the need to use a gun, or try and 'kill' them in a more efficient manner, as not to waste a bullet? Of course, there are those who would even murder person before the person even dies and has a chance to reanimate *shudder*

As always, yes, it's impossible to tell what anyone would really do in such a situation, I just thought it an interesting topic.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 05-Dec-2008 at 01:58 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I imagine that I would probably fall into the "wait and see" category. You never know....maybe the person that dies won't come back for whatever reason.

If I was the person that was dying, I would want it to be handled like Roger/Peter. I would want for the person with me to wait and see if I come back, and then maybe shoot me if I do. I've always liked Cholo's idea of "wanting to see how the other half lives", so that could be interesting....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    First time around, I'd probably wait and see. But I'm positive that the sight of seeing a comrade of mine rise from the dead would terrify my very soul and bring me nightmares for weeks, so that'd be a one-time thing. After that, it's all making sure they stay dead.

United States
    If the situation allowed, I would probably wait and see. Although, I would take safety precautions, such as binding the body or something.

United States
    I'm thinking. . .wait until they die for sure. . .but plug them before they rise. I don't want my last memory of a friend or loved one as a flesh eating ghoul thankyouverymuch.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    I think I would have to wait and see, what if it is a temporary situation. Let's say it is radiation, the radiation dissipates, and the dead stay dead. You could be murdering people. Or at the very least just putting bullets in people for no good reason.

United States
    I might do it two times: one time if my loved one were bitten or if they died for some other reason like a heart attack.
    Both reasons would be to see if the virus or whatever was still active. Then if it was then after that I am not sure if I would wait especially if the person is bitten.
    That would be a hard thing to do to kill someone, anyone. We talk about it but when it comes down to it, would we?

United States
    Honestly I think it would be more traumatic to kill them when they're up & moving around (seemingly ALIVE), than to "kill" a dead body that's just lying there. Plus I don't want them to come back, & I'm sure THEY don't wanna come back...course then again...I can see waffling when they're just lying there, helpless, a former friend or loved one, all the memories & emotions you'd be going through, whereas once they get up & come after you, you've gotta do something & RIGHT NOW, or you're zombie chow.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    I'd wait, because I'm lazy like that. Also I think it's a little more humane.

United States
    i'd wait, unless it someone very near/dear to me, like either of my parents, siblings, or any close family. i'd try to make sure they'd not be coming back...but if it was just another survivor or friend, i'd probably wait.

on a side note, it always bothered me that they let roger reanimate inside their hideout, then shot him. i'm sure they wanted him to go as comfortably as possible, but it'd be a lot easier to clean up the mess if they'd taken him into another area and waited it out with him there, then did the deed.

United States

I am going to try not to come back.

Either way you look at it, I think it would be traumatic to have to behead or brain your loved one, reanimated or not. But like Sandrock says, I think that it would be a good idea once death is confirmed to bind the remains.

I think that folks might find it easier to put a bullet in the brain of their loved one if they were enshrouded and bound up.

Personally, though, I think that it is a matter of dignity and respect for the living that you wait for the person to reanimate before you off them. And in the case of Roger, Peter was simply fulfilling his friend's dying wish to wait until he was sure he was coming back before doing the deed.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Norway
    It depends on how much time I would have.

Tibet
    Look at the way we treat our dead. US Marines die to retrieve the bodies of their buddies that die in combat. We spend a buttload of money to take care of our dead. Natural inclination would seem to be not to do anything to defile the body. Of course, when they get up & try to eat us all bets are off.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Personally, though, I think that it is a matter of dignity and respect for the living that you wait for the person to reanimate before you off them.
    While I agree they were honoring Roger's wishes, I think, in general, that we differ on this overall matter, Yojimbo. To me it's a sign of respect that I make it impossible for someone to come back in a state of undeath. Thus, I'd like to think I'd do the deed immediately after death. Of course, when someone is hovering on death's door for hours ot might be hard to pinpoint the moment they shuffle off the coil.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    To me it's a sign of respect that I make it impossible for someone to come back in a state of undeath. Thus, I'd like to think I'd do the deed immediately after death.

Aces, I can see your point, and it is well taken. Like Roger, I certainly do not want to come back and be "walking around like that" and I think most folks would feel that way.

I think that if it came down to it and a ghoul managed to take a chunk out of me, I would say my goodbyes and then I would take myself out Steele style if I had the option, rather than leaving it up to my friends or family. I am fortunate that my spiritual beliefs do not preclude suicide, but I know that this option is not for everyone, and many would consider taking this way out to be a sin, so doubtless there are many who would just simply die and leave it up to those around them to deal with it.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."