Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your favourite line/moment from any of GAR's zombie quadrilogy?

United States
    Night - "They're dead, they're all messed up."

Dawn - "Perfect baby, perfect."

Day - "I'm running this monkey farm now frankenstein, and I wanna know what the **** you're doing with my time!"

Land - "I am nice."

Dawn 04 - "America always sorts it's **** out."

"To further complicate, I will now state, that your convictions lack definition and form."

Banned User

United States

Thumbs up It means you're a ****ing caveman!

...But that's OK, cavemen all got big dicks!

Undisclosed
    ****in' A! Biggest piece of meat in the cave!

Quote Originally Posted by Tri0xin
    ...But that's OK, cavemen all got big dicks!
    Camelot is a state of mind.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDNA View Post
    Day - "You've given me a mouthful of greek salad"....What the **** does that mean lol
    I've seen some people being puzzled by that one. It's not really difficult to get what Rhodes means by that. When you read or hear things you can hardly understand a popular expression to point this out is "it's all Greek to me!":

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/d...ll-greek-to-me

This is alluding to the fact that the Greek language looks very strange to most westerners, it is not even written in the Latin alphabet to begin with. This made it an easy candidate for denoting something difficult to understand. The Greeks themselves have a similar expression, by the way, but they say "seems like Chinese to me", since to them the Chinese language is what's weird and unfamiliar.

So what Rhodes is saying is basically a pun or play-on-words. He is combining a popular English expression to denote something that is difficult to understand (it's all Greek to me) with a popular dish that also has the word "Greek" in it (Greek salad, a jumble of several vegetables, olives, feta cheese and dressing) in order to characterize the reports that the scientists are giving him: a jumble of "formulas, equations, a lot of fancy terms" that to him "don't mean a thing", as he himself clarifies right after he says the "Greek salad" bit.
    Last edited by JDP; 05-Jul-2014 at 11:58 AM. Reason: typo

England
    "You can't start the car, Johnny has the keys..."

It's impossible for me to pick one moment... The ending to NOTLD was a highlight... the anti-consumerism stuff in Dawn another...

Quote wise, I think Logan's "They have to be rewarded, why else would they do what we want them to do [snip] it;'s the bare beginning of civilised behaviour. Civil behaviour is what distinguishes us from the lower forms, it's what enables us to communicate, to go about things in an orderly fashion without attacking each other like beasts in the wild Civility must be rewarded.... If it isn't rewarded,...there's no use for it, no use for it at all"

Day has some excellent lines by John (Terry Alexander) too:-

John: "This is bullshit what we're doing here, it's crazy... I got an alternative, let's get in that whirlybird there, find us an island someplace, get juiced up and spend what time we've got left soaking up some sunshine."

Sarah: "You could do that couldn't you, with all this going on you could do that couldn't you."

John: "Right - I could do that even if all this wasn't going on..."

Latvia
    ''Choke on `em!'' from Day of the Dead or Dr. Millard from Dawn of the Dead (1978) '' I am deadly serious! What are the choices? They won't run out of food, that's the problem you see. And they won't run out of food as long as we're still alive.''

Administrator

England
    Yeh, "Choke on 'em!" + the fact it was a spur of the moment thought by Pilato + because....

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzbomb View Post
    [I]
    Quote wise, I think Logan's "They have to be rewarded, why else would they do what we want them to do [snip] it;'s the bare beginning of civilised behaviour. Civil behaviour is what distinguishes us from the lower forms, it's what enables us to communicate, to go about things in an orderly fashion without attacking each other like beasts in the wild Civility must be rewarded.... If it isn't rewarded,...there's no use for it, no use for it at all"
    After 20+ yrs of watching Day I am still noticing things like:
    when Logan is saying this, it's as if he realizes he is inadvertently telling Rhodes "there's no use being civil to us (the scientists) cause we aren't rewarding you with breakthroughs" (in their research) when he says that last line.

But in the liner notes of the new Day CD George says Logan is supposed to be cartoonishly clinically insane, which I don't think is all that apparent till the stocking tape is played.

and also: JOSEF with an F!!!!!
    Last edited by triste realtà; 10-Jul-2014 at 09:34 PM. Reason: nope

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by triste realtà View Post
    Yeh, I seem to remember asking him about that, and never really getting a clear answer
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Rising

United States
    After 20+ yrs of watching Day I am still noticing things like:
    when Logan is saying this, it's as if he realizes he is inadvertently telling Rhodes "there's no use being civil to us (the scientists) cause we aren't rewarding you with breakthroughs" (in their research) when he says that last line.

But in the liner notes of the new Day CD George says Logan is supposed to be cartoonishly clinically insane, which I don't think is all that apparent till the stocking tape is played.
    I think it's pretty obvious that the doc had lost his marbles. His plan to tame/domesticate the zombies was totally impractical at best. Even if you could somehow truly make them docile, like we see that he managed to make "Bub" more or less safe to be around (and not even completely so), how are you supposed to accomplish this with millions of them out there roaming free and wild??? You would need a veritable army of "trainers" and huge facilities to keep the zombies in. At that point in time when zombies vastly outnumbered living humans it would simply be impossible to accomplish this. I think most of the other people in the bunker could deduce this, but Logan was just too far gone to realize how impracticable was his plan.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    I think it's pretty obvious that the doc had lost his marbles. His plan to tame/domesticate the zombies was totally impractical at best. Even if you could somehow truly make them docile, like we see that he managed to make "Bub" more or less safe to be around (and not even completely so), how are you supposed to accomplish this with millions of them out there roaming free and wild??? You would need a veritable army of "trainers" and huge facilities to keep the zombies in. At that point in time when zombies vastly outnumbered living humans it would simply be impossible to accomplish this. I think most of the other people in the bunker could deduce this, but Logan was just too far gone to realize how impracticable was his plan.
    Captain Rhodes: Is this your progress? Is this the shit that's supposed to knock our socks off?

Dr. Logan: It's the beginning, yes. It's the bare beginning of social behavior. Civilized behavior. Civil behavior is what distinguishes us from the lower forms. It's what enables us to communicate. To go about things in an orderly fashion without attacking each other like beasts in the wild. Civility must be rewarded, Captain. If it isn't rewarded, then there's no use for it. There's just no use for it at all.

Captain Rhodes: I don't want them to do anything but drop over!

Dr. Logan: Yes... well, apparently they're not inclined to do that for you, Captain.

Brilliant stuff
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Yeh, "Choke on 'em!" + the fact it was a spur of the moment thought by Pilato + because....

This is one of the greatest things i have ever seen! Neil, please tell me that you built a man cave or shrine of some sort around this framed.

Administrator

England
    Read the last question - http://www.homepageofthedead.com/fil...erviews_1.html
    -Carl Sagan

Twitching

United States
    Just a thought,
    About the whole "Domesticate the Undead" concept. If one could a) Give one's altered/"tamed" zombies some sort of physical advantage over "wild" zombies, and b) "Program" the "tame" zombies in such a way that they themselves could go forth and tame still more zombies, you might have one of the few possible models for reclaiming the world from the undead.

Note: I myself have no clue how one might accomplish this goal in a practical sense, but in the abstract it seems obvious that if the world were overrun with billions of ghouls the only way the remnant of humanity still alive could reclaim the globe would be to use Zombies versus Zombies in order to accomplish mass-extermination.

Just a thought that zipped through my gray matter at 3:14am.

Administrator

England
    ^ Interesting - So taming behaviour that they spread to one another! Nice idea!
    -Carl Sagan