Thread: Most expensive meal you've eaten

capncnut

Most expensive meal you've eaten

I was listening to the radio this morning and the DJ was having me in hysterics. What happened was he went to Wyevale Garden Centre for the afternoon and ordered two baked potatoes with beans. His jaw nearly hit the floor when he was asked to cough up £14.58 for them.

£14.58? Two baked potatoes and a can of beans cannot be no more than 50-75 pence worth of ingredients - that is f**king extortionate!

Anyway, it got me thinking, what's the most you have ever paid for a meal?

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Probably 40 dollars. Went to some fancy-pants Tex-Mex place. Had one entree and a drink. Never going back there again.

United States
    Went to Red Lobster to celebrate a promotion and had the Lobster Fest, plus the stuffed mushrooms and a Coke, and that came to around $40 just for me. With my husband, the tab came to around $70 without the tip. Man, sooo worth it, though!

Super Moderator

United States
    I'm not sure, but probably just under $200 for myself, $400 in total including date and tip. The two times that come to mind were great, but something I could only do once in a blue moon.

The two places that I'm thinking of are Equus (AKA The Castle on the Hudson) and Mohonk Mountain House.

There's some crazy expensive places in the city, but I tend to go mid-range if I'm going out to eat in the city or, god forbid, Greenwich.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 05-May-2009 at 11:25 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Fifty or sixty pounds for a three-course dinner-for-two at Paperinos in Glasgow. Actually not a bad price for a delicious meal at a fantastic Italian restaurant, but that's the most I've ever spent personally, I think.

United States
    On my honeymoon, my wife and I visited Honolulu, in Hawaii and stopped by a very fancy (by Oahu standards) seafood restaurant called Nickerinos (which if you can afford it, I highly recommend).

Cannot remember what entree my wife ordered, but I got a very decent abalone steak. We both had Oysters Rockerfeller to start, with cocktails, and though I cannot recall what the other courses were (and there were several) the manager comped us our dessert - crepes suzette I think. Bill came out to close to $350.00, which for poor folks like us was a lot.

The kicker is, my wife loved it so much that she made me take her there again before we left, which since we were on our honeymoon I obliged.

Here in Los Angeles, it can be quite easy to drop a bill per person at many of the local upper crust restaurants - but we don't go to places like that being on a budget in the middle of a recession and all. These days, I consider it a real luxury if we have dinner at our local Denny's or the House of Pancakes!
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post

The kicker is, my wife loved it so much that she made me take her there again before we left, which since we were on our honeymoon I obliged.
    That's rough, man. A meal like that for me is crippling to my budget for about a month and two such bills would be downright lethal. Very good of you to be so cool about such things on the honeymoon.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

capncnut
    Me and the ex went to Quaglino's once and pretty much demolished the good side of £100. I had a roast rump of lamb with all the trimmings but I'm not sure what she had - whatever it was, it wasn't marinated in arsenic, unfortunately.

The £90-something bill did include a good few rounds of drinks mind you.

One absolute liberty take of a price tag that's worthy of complaint was at the 02, when I paid £5 for a hot dog. It might not sound a lot but I remember thinking at the time, "that's f**king scandalous!"
    Last edited by capncnut; 06-May-2009 at 09:41 PM.

England
    I paid about £25 for a deep fried stuffed sea bass & a dessert in a thai restaurant in Newquay,was worth it though,tasted lush & service was great!I paid £50 for two 3 course meals when me & an ex went out to eat once as well,gentleman always pays! (then lets out a silent sigh of relief when she insists on paying half if your lucky )

Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    On my honeymoon, my wife and I visited Honolulu, in Hawaii and stopped by a very fancy (by Oahu standards) seafood restaurant called Nickerinos (which if you can afford it, I highly recommend).

Cannot remember what entree my wife ordered, but I got a very decent abalone steak. We both had Oysters Rockerfeller to start, with cocktails, and though I cannot recall what the other courses were (and there were several) the manager comped us our dessert - crepes suzette I think. Bill came out to close to $350.00, which for poor folks like us was a lot.

man i hope you got some good lovin' that night
    Last edited by Tricky; 06-May-2009 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

ViP

United States
    I can't remember the exact total, but I think I dropped around $150 at The Rainbow Room for brunch. It is on the 65th floor of The Rockefeller Center and sports an awesome view of NYC.

http://www.rainbowroom.com/index.htm

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    does the time i caught food poisoning from a fish n' chips shop and spent two in the hospital count? if so, that was a damn expensive dinner.

other than that - probably when we took my in-laws to the mecklenburg (german restaurant). probably dropped $200, drinks included. i usually don't buy alcohol at restaurants (that's what can really put your bill on the up escalator).

plus, the wife and i really love cooking, so we don't go out much. i'd rather make it myself.
    Last edited by Mike70; 07-May-2009 at 05:25 PM.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    i usually don't buy alcohol at restaurants (that's what can really put your bill on the up escalator).
    Yup. The bottle of wine or multiple glasses of wine and/or any sort of after dinner drinks stack up real fast. Add that to any pre-dinner cocktails and the bill can rocket through the stratosphere.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Well last valentines day, the girl and I went out and the dinner for two at this fancy schmancy place... a brazillian grill, and that cost us about $150.00
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Undisclosed
    Without running up the bill with drinks, probably around a hundred bucks each for an entre and appetizer. Most expensive ever was business dinners where each persons food was in the 150 range, both times at big name steak houses.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    I paid 80 euro for a steak in Venice!!

Wasn't bad!
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.